Yingluck Asks Public To Set Temperature At 26 C To Help Conserve Energy

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yingluck Asks Public To Set Temperature At 26 C To Help Conserve Energy

If I could adjust the (outside) temp to 26, that would be great and I would be rich.

34c inside where I'm sitting at the moment, 11:30 am, fan, nice breeze outside, no worries.

So, the very unlikely and unprobable power failures some predicted in April will not happen because all Thai citizens will help save energy to prevent something which will not happen. Who will take the credit, the public, the government or Ms. Yingluck?

'Yingluck as public to set temperature to 26 degrees to help conserve energy'

Public says "Sod off'

I'm sure as the example setter she is Yingluck keeps all the aircons at her home on 26c.

I'm sure they will be.. But she will not be there for Songkran .. she will be in CM again like last year.

Feeling smug now. Set to 26oC does that make me an eco warrior or a sheep?

Thanks Miss PM I would never have worked it out on my own.

Sent from my eco cave set at 26oC using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wow, 26C is too hot? We barely run our AC units below 28 here!

Yep... I normally use 28 deg too. (I'll sometimes use 25/26 briefly if I want to cool down quickly, and then I put it back up to 28.)

They should have a campaign to encourage businesses to stay no lower than, say, 25 degrees - I hate being frozen in offices and restaurants in Thailand at the oft-used 21 degrees. And the big inside/outside temperature differentials can cause nasal problems for some people.

The PM should ask the millions of Thai women (And some men) to not watch Thai Soapies during the day.(they won't miss much...same same every day....and if she thinks I am turning down the temp. on the a/con in my car, think again !!( Hey...whats the bet that some Thais will do that )

....and if she thinks I am turning down the temp. on the a/con in my car, think again !!( Hey...whats the bet that some Thais will do that )

The higher your car AC, the more fuel you use. The more fuel you use, the more fuel refineries have to process. The more fuel they process, the more electricity they use. Welcome to anarchy! Edited by Fullstop

Feeling smug now. Set to 26oC does that make me an eco warrior or a sheep?

Thanks Miss PM I would never have worked it out on my own.

Sent from my eco cave set at 26oC using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That depends on if you have turned it down or up!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

unplugging all electrical appliances not in use during 2pm and 3pm,

I know it is early in the day and I've only had one cup of coffee but if an electrical appliance is not in use how is it consuming electricty?

How many TV's do you reckon there are on standby in Thailand? 22 million, according to http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562331-half-of-household-tvs-in-thailand-use-antennas-survey/

Whats 22 million x up to 15 watts - seems like a lot to me and then there's the microwaves, DVD's etc http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-chart.html

So she has a point.

I know it is early in the day and I've only had one cup of coffee but if an electrical appliance is not in use how is it consuming electricty?

How many TV's do you reckon there are on standby in Thailand? 22 million, according to http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562331-half-of-household-tvs-in-thailand-use-antennas-survey/

Whats 22 million x up to 15 watts - seems like a lot to me and then there's the microwaves, DVD's etc http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-chart.html

So she has a point.

I never leave my TV on standby and by the way, it's a JVC old tube set, 18 years old! I wonder if that is why it's lasted so long, cross fingers. Oh and I always have my A/C set to 26 or 27. Switch it all off if not being used is my policy.

As a wannabe anarchist, I'm setting mine to 16C.

Rumour has it our PM has tasked Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm to get rid of terrorists and anarchists without 90 days. K. Chalerm allegedly said to concentrate on airco anarchists first as they cause the most immediate damage to the country. At least that seemed the message, which was interrupted by a major power failure rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

The PM should ask the millions of Thai women (And some men) to not watch Thai Soapies during the day.(they won't miss much...same same every day

You'd have better luck trying to pry a full syringe from a junkies hands. Edited by Fullstop
  • Like 1

PM Yingluck: Power reserves enough to substitute suspended gas supply from Myanmar

BANGKOK, 5 April 2013 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday expressed her confidence that the nation will not suffer from energy shortages during the10-day suspension of natural gas delivery from Myanmar which begins today and lasts until next Sunday.

The Prime Minister made the comment as she presided over the opening ceremony of an energy saving campaign at Government House. Attending the event were also Foreign Minister Surapong Tovijakchaikul, and Energy Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisan.

In her speech, the Prime Minister said energy is one of the nation's key economic driver, playing an important part in household business, agriculture and industry. However, currently the kingdom needs to import 55 percent of the overall energy which partially contributes to the Thai people’s high cost of living.

She, therefore, urged all to participate in the energy saving campaign from now until the end of next week and said she would be delighted if the campaign could be maintained in a sustainable manner.

The Prime Minister highlighted 3 simple methods to save energy which are turning off unused lights, unplugging unused electrical appliances, and adjusting air conditioners to 26 degrees.

Miss Yingluck also expressed her confidence that the nation would not face an energy shortage if all sectors participate in the Energy Ministry's campaign, adding that more energy saving measures would be introduced.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-05 footer_n.gif

Miss Yingluck also expressed her confidence that the nation would not face an energy shortage if all sectors participate in the Energy Ministry's campaign, adding that more energy saving measures would be introduced.

Please believe me when I say it's not our fault if something goes wrong rolleyes.gif

The mind boggles, set air con at 26 degrees ? what do people normally have air con set at ?

​Myself very rarely use air con, maybe the odd time at night if it feels very hot, mine is set at 28 degrees, and if on, will normally wake up in the early hours frozen and switch it off... normally cannot be bothered to close all the windows so fan is fine..

Mad dogs and Englishmen and all that, just come in to get lunch as have been doing gardening for the last 2 hours in the wonderful sunshine.. reason I came to Thailand to be warm not frozen all the time

TVs, A/V units, microwave ovens, and many other things use electricity when "turned off" because they are not actually turned Off.

+1....The 'instant-on' features always use power.

in the old days, when you turn things off, it was "off".

Now days, when you turn thing off, its actually "asleep".

People dont want to wait for things to power up and finish its bootup period. So manufactures designed appliances to "sleep". In the "off" state, the clock may be still running, its in/out circuits are still on, waiting for you to use your remote. This may be called the "overhead" power, or the quiescent power for the system. This "overhead power" while its much less than the "on" power, still adds up to a lot of power draw, if you count the numbers.

Again, set your thermostats higher

use fans instead of AC where possible

turn off all unused lights

If everyone contributes, that should be enough to push off blackouts.

This is not that uncommon in other countries

as well as the belly-aching about it smile.png

If you're near my age, then you'll remember a time WITHOUT AC

be thankful for what you've got biggrin.png

If you turn off your air con but don't turn off the breaker switch you still use a lot of electricity.

I would think most Falungs would have their A/C's serviced and they ran efficiently. However at a guess, I would say that half the A/C's in Thailand, which includes hotels as well, have never been serviced, are leaking water due faulty seals, run out of gas etc. Because of this most have been turned down to MAX Cold and the compressor works full time. All it's doing is blowing the hot air around with the A/C fan on full, no cold gas left. This is where all the power goes.

'O' and Yingluck is only passing on what Thailand's Electricity Generating Authority have recommended.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/630880-thailands-electricity-generating-authorities-plan-for-peak-heat/

Edited by OZEMADE

I would think most Falungs would have their A/C's serviced and they ran efficiently. However at a guess, I would say that half the A/C's in Thailand, which includes hotels as well, have never been serviced, are leaking water due faulty seals, run out of gas etc. Because of this most have been turned down to MAX Cold and the compressor works full time. All it's doing is blowing the hot air around with the A/C fan on full, no cold gas left. This is where all the power goes.

'O' and Yingluck is only passing on what Thailand's Electricity Generating Authority have recommended.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/630880-thailands-electricity-generating-authorities-plan-for-peak-heat/

Yep, you are totally right. If people were starting to buy Inverters instead of those normal A/C's as well, would save a lot of electricity. I slashed my energy bill with around 30% after switching.

These include setting the air conditioner temperature at 26 degrees Celsius, unplugging all electrical appliances not in use during 2pm and 3pm, and turning off any unnecessary lights

​ Still got 42 everywhere, no way to get down to 26. Sorry, don't get the 1 hour unplug thing. She should go for other problems, also called pollution.

​Get all the Diesel run engines checked, injectors and Diesel pimps fixed fixed, stop Tuk Tuk and their Mafia, Get rid off plastic bags, it's contaminating not just the roads, also endangered animals become extinct etc....

in the old days, when you turn things off, it was "off".

Now days, when you turn thing off, its actually "asleep".

People dont want to wait for things to power up and finish its bootup period. So manufactures designed appliances to "sleep". In the "off" state, the clock may be still running, its in/out circuits are still on, waiting for you to use your remote. This may be called the "overhead" power, or the quiescent power for the system. This "overhead power" while its much less than the "on" power, still adds up to a lot of power draw, if you count the numbers.

Again, set your thermostats higher

use fans instead of AC where possible

turn off all unused lights

If everyone contributes, that should be enough to push off blackouts.

This is not that uncommon in other countries

as well as the belly-aching about it smile.png

If you're near my age, then you'll remember a time WITHOUT AC

be thankful for what you've got biggrin.png

If you turn off your air con but don't turn off the breaker switch you still use a lot of electricity.

Can you please explain the logic behind your statement?

Just how much power would a tiny red LED on your telly burn up in a year? 50 Satang's worth?

Its not just the LED. Its the circuit that controls and waiting for incoming infrared signals from your remote and control, and actually turns on the unit etc. So there is a constant 220V to 5V/12V conversion going. Especially on older TV's etc, that means "everything" is on, except the screen itself.

These include setting the air conditioner temperature at 26 degrees Celsius, unplugging all electrical appliances not in use during 2pm and 3pm, and turning off any unnecessary lights

​ Still got 42 everywhere, no way to get down to 26. Sorry, don't get the 1 hour unplug thing. She should go for other problems, also called pollution.

​Get all the Diesel run engines checked, injectors and Diesel pimps fixed fixed, stop Tuk Tuk and their Mafia, Get rid off plastic bags, it's contaminating not just the roads, also endangered animals become extinct etc....

I think you are missing the point here. The country NEEDS to save electricity during Myanmar's black out, otherwise it might occur black outs here as well.

Get rid off plastic bags

??

Maybe is different up there ?

I always recycle, where I lived for 13 years there was no such thing as rubbish collectors or trucks, still do the same here...

2 big bags 1x = everything that is clear plastic, the other everything that is coloured or dark, take with me every couple of months and get some money...... clear = 19 baht per kg, coloured = 15 baht per kg...sometimes have something tin, metal or electric, glass..... can never work out why so few do it, for me is just normal + always appears I get 350 - 500 baht every couple of months.. for rubbish ...... noticed here for years that the men collecting the rubbish sort as they go.. here you can sell anything and everything..

If I ever go into a City often notice people sorting out the rubbish bins, plastic, glass, cans etc, yep they go and sell it and get some money, maybe to live for that day.

• Like 1