Tourist Police On Walking Street

Pattaya28

They're there to keep a few more foreigners alive when they inevitably get into drunking altercations late at night with bar staff, taxi drivers and each other.

Probably saves a couple lives or serious injuries each year. You don't have to like them to realize that they are providing a service. Think of them as walking street moderators. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

"Unprofessionally smoking" ? How do professionals smoke ? smile.png

Like any police patrol activity, you never know how many incidents they prevent by just having a presence there.

They do handle situations most days though.

Professionals don't smoke at their place of work in view of the public.

And I have never seen them on "patrol", only smoking and puffing their chests out at the end of Walking Street.

• Like 2

Unless things have changed: the farangs are not paid, they are volunteers; and they cannot act as police in the same capacity as the real Thai Tourist Police. Don't ask me to exactly define what they are and are not officially authorized to do. Like I say: Unless things have changed.

Edited by OneZero

one of them is a very good whistle blower and arm waver, puts on quite an impressive performance some evenings, a few on the beach in plain clothes are fakes so always make sure a Thai policeman is present if they harass you, in general Im not opposed to the whole concept but its poorly run

nothing I like more than a bit of authority bashing but this mob has come a long way in the past few years. seeing the crap they have to deal with and the low lives that they end up netting, mostly foreigners, i dont blame them for wanting a crafty fag.

i often wonder if the same people who knock them would be the first to run to them when some ivan or henry ihgh on God knows what, kicks the s**t out of them for no reason or throws a glass at their wife or girlfriend. with them, at least you half a chance of being understood, without them.. we would truly be lost.

Forced to endure the WS walk from south to pier and back by visiting family, I was amazed at the changes. truly the majority were either huddled families or half p**ed from certain nations. the fun has gone. I am sure the single men were already in the bars, but the street itself was nothing compared to its old self... from fun, neon and excitement.. to a dirty seedy street in a few years.. or is it just me ? ;)

• Like 2

thats the problem, who would want to do the job voluntarily unless they are a power tripper of some sort,

I agree with that. Yes I suppose they can be useful for some very simple problems, but clearly they often forget they have absolutely no more power in Thailand than the farangs they are talking too !

And their uniform is just ridiculous, like police commandos ! I do like the handcuffs they all show proudly and the fact they have no right to use them ! wink.png

Ok for this "help", but please give them back the white polo they used to wear and don't forget to write "Volunteer" after "Tourist Police" on their uniforms wink.png

• Like 1

nothing I like more than a bit of authority bashing but this mob has come a long way in the past few years. seeing the crap they have to deal with and the low lives that they end up netting, mostly foreigners, i dont blame them for wanting a crafty fag.

i often wonder if the same people who knock them would be the first to run to them when some ivan or henry ihgh on God knows what, kicks the s**t out of them for no reason or throws a glass at their wife or girlfriend. with them, at least you half a chance of being understood, without them.. we would truly be lost.

Forced to endure the WS walk from south to pier and back by visiting family, I was amazed at the changes. truly the majority were either huddled families or half p**ed from certain nations. the fun has gone. I am sure the single men were already in the bars, but the street itself was nothing compared to its old self... from fun, neon and excitement.. to a dirty seedy street in a few years.. or is it just me ? wink.png

Agree with almost all of that, just not the very end.. It's a lot busier these days, an attraction in itself it seems. That does change the vibe a little bit, but I'd say it was dirtier/seedier some time ago. (Which, yes, I preferred. wink.png )

Of course people who are there to actually go out as opposed to take it in as a tourist destination in itself are all in the bars down the sois. Plenty dirty, seedy fun there. Just like always.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

One post removed see the following rule:

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy. Members should not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

The 'Foreign Volunteers' are NOT POLICE.

They are Volunteers assisting the Thai TOURIST POLICE.

They have NO Police Powers & the Thai Law doesn't allow that anyway.

They are supposedly 'contact' for foreign tourists when an English or other Foreign Language speaking person is required

I admit thet there are some who like to pretend they are the real deal but they are in a dream world.

As a Police Trainer I sometimes cringe when I watch their idea of a foot patrol through Walking Street but then I am in denial when I see some of the antics of the actual Tourist & other Thai Police as well

I don't criticize , just an observation

ph34r.png

Tourist Police Volunteers get neither pay nor expenses. They buy for their own uniforms.

Their functions are to help foreigners and to report crime that involves foreigners. They can detain anyone involved in an altercation with a foreigner, whether the detainee is foreign or Thai. They can use handcuffs. They cannot take a detainee to a police station but rather call the Tourist Police to take over.

The motives for joining may vary. Some want to put back something into their adopted community. Perhaps others do it for ego reasons.

"Unprofessionally smoking" ? How do professionals smoke ? smile.png

Like any police patrol activity, you never know how many incidents they prevent by just having a presence there.

They do handle situations most days though.

Professionals don't smoke at their place of work in view of the public.

And I have never seen them on "patrol", only smoking and puffing their chests out at the end of Walking Street.

They are not professionals, but volunteers, and you in no position to patronize them. Be grateful they do their job.

You would actually prefer they patrol and stick their noses into everything even when everything is fine?

Or you just don't like guys in uniform?

I think these questions hit the nail on the head. It is pretty obvious unfortunately. Hopefully his bad day is over now.

I was involved in the Tourist Police Assistants Group for 8 years and I am immensely proud of the service the group provided then and continues to provide now. Instead of guessing/assuming what they do and don't do, why not approach one of them next time you find yourself on Walking Street and ask them. People were always surprised about the range of activities/duties the group undertakes when people approached me to discuss the work of the group.

It's been 3 years since I was with them but I really wish I had the time to give to them so I could continue volunteering with them.

Howard

• Like 1

I was involved in the Tourist Police Assistants Group for 8 years and I am immensely proud of the service the group provided then and continues to provide now. Instead of guessing/assuming what they do and don't do, why not approach one of them next time you find yourself on Walking Street and ask them. People were always surprised about the range of activities/duties the group undertakes when people approached me to discuss the work of the group.

It's been 3 years since I was with them but I really wish I had the time to give to them so I could continue volunteering with them.

Howard

Exactly right. The folks who complain the loudest about police work anywhere are usually the ones who have the least level of knowledge about what cops do in an average working day.

When I was a cop in NY, I used to invite critics to spend a night or two riding with me, answering calls, and dealing with the range of issues that a cop has to handle as a matter of course. Opened a lot of eyes by doing so, and I suspect that same would be true here.

dont forget they usually play the role of snitches when Thai Police needs a farang

Thats my only grief with them.It was 2 farang PV`s in Phuket a few years back that was very active in their "undercover work" and in those circumstances I believe they`re overstepping their mission and role !!!

Howard

Exactly right. The folks who complain the loudest about police work anywhere are usually the ones who have the least level of knowledge about what cops do in an average working day.

When I was a cop in NY, I used to invite critics to spend a night or two riding with me, answering calls, and dealing with the range of issues that a cop has to handle as a matter of course. Opened a lot of eyes by doing so, and I suspect that same would be true here.

I might have a bit more respect for them if they moved camp from WS to Beach Rd, say RGP or Mikes Mall and did something about the rip off jest ski scammer scum.

Pattaya, where you can be what you want to be, personally I stopped playing "dress up" when I was about 9 years old.

Never mind, a playground for dreamers and social misfits.

• Like 1

Howard

Except they are not real police and they do not do real police work.

Howard

Except they are not real police and they do not do real police work.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could post a link to your source of information regarding the status, responsibilities, limitations, and authority governing the FPV. I have been unable to find any such information despite some fairly extensive online searching.

The FTPA and FPV are two separate groups with separate responsibilities. When either are on official duty they do so under the authority of their respective Thai police department chiefs and their primary task is to assist Thai police deal with foreigners whether that be via translation from well over 20 languages to English (at least) and quite a few do speak Thai, or any other first-contact help they can give to advise on Thai police procedures to ensure issues are addressed more easily. Each has a formal Operations Manual that sets their role and conduct standards but that is not for dissemination to the public here or anywhere else. Like any group of 50 or so people from varied backgrounds, some are better than others at all this but generally Thai police are very happy to have this type of help and the limits to their authority when under Thai police supervision are few. Hope this helps.