Tourist Police On Walking Street

Pattaya28

The FTPA and FPV are two separate groups with separate responsibilities. When either are on official duty they do so under the authority of their respective Thai police department chiefs and their primary task is to assist Thai police deal with foreigners whether that be via translation from well over 20 languages to English (at least) and quite a few do speak Thai, or any other first-contact help they can give to advise on Thai police procedures to ensure issues are addressed more easily. Each has a formal Operations Manual that sets their role and conduct standards but that is not for dissemination to the public here or anywhere else. Like any group of 50 or so people from varied backgrounds, some are better than others at all this but generally Thai police are very happy to have this type of help and the limits to their authority when under Thai police supervision are few. Hope this helps.

Are they also allowed to collect tea money while under supervision of the MIB ? If yes I would sure like to join the force :P

• Like 1

In many Anglophile countries there are 'Special Constables' that does pretty much the same thing right?

The FPV are taking the flak because they are most visible, there are also Thai Police Volunteer that are equally despicable, using radios without licence, setting up illegal stop and search roadblocks (usually on the dark side) it is quite possible they could be collecting tea money for the real MiB too biggrin.png

A few months back I seem to see tables setting up along Walking Street manned with Chinese Language Students, seems much more useful and friendlier than a bunch of police wannabes, granted they don't have to deals with drunkenness like the FPV do

Anyway, whenever I take a guest for a stroll along walking street, they always comment on how reassuring it is to have such international face in uniforms greeting visitors at the entrance, however, when we pass them on the way back and they just sit around watching football...

In many Anglophile countries there are 'Special Constables' that does pretty much the same thing right?

The FPV are taking the flak because they are most visible, there are also Thai Police Volunteer that are equally despicable, using radios without licence, setting up illegal stop and search roadblocks (usually on the dark side) it is quite possible they could be collecting tea money for the real MiB too biggrin.png

A few months back I seem to see tables setting up along Walking Street manned with Chinese Language Students, seems much more useful and friendlier than a bunch of police wannabes, granted they don't have to deals with drunkenness like the FPV do

Anyway, whenever I take a guest for a stroll along walking street, they always comment on how reassuring it is to have such international face in uniforms greeting visitors at the entrance, however, when we pass them on the way back and they just sit around watching football...

I know some of the Thai Police Volunteers on the Dark Side, some are my wife's family. They are connected to the RTP radio network and do some good work for managing the YaBa problem, street robberies, accidents etc Sometimes put their life at risk with a quicker response time than RTP. Some licensed to carry guns by the RTP. Their also a few who do collect tea money, not surprising as they are on call for the locals and not paid.

More trusted than the RTP as they are from the local community.

Edited by simple1