The Captiva

Young People. !! The Captiva arrived at Midday. One small problem, it a TRAILBLAZER LT something 2. 8. Duratec . Not another bloody truck with 7Chairs inside !!!. I haven't been out to look yet... It didnt clatter in the drive,so thats a good start.burp.gif . Anyone got one .?.

The Rev Counter and Speedo size are a Piss Take. Seen bigger on a Golf Cart. Gave it a Quick Thrash. Fortuna Men , eat your heart out. . It handles like a PJS. in the Mountains, no rolly polly and suspension clatter. ... Live with it,.?. No Way. Just a better Spivs Range Rover in MHO. Truck Junk. Give me a Happy City any day. Must admitt the Motors got Whack though...I was looking forward to drive the Captiva. Ahh Well.sad.png

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the slight change of direction on the thread here, but a similar product to the Captiva would be the Kia Sorento which has finally made an appearance on the Yontrakit web site. The car has had very good reviews in other markets and with what I believe to be a decent diesel engine it would seem a good alternative to the Captiva.

Not sure about prices, but from initial rumours I assume that it would be in the same ball park as the higher spec diesel Captive??

yup you are correct that the Sorento is priced comparatively to the Captiva. they had one at the last car show at Impact arena

Was in Korea recently and saw more Sorrento's than Captiva's. Problem with Kia and Hyundai in Thailand is no dealers outside bangkok and who is gonna buy the things when you want to sell them?

Was in Korea recently and saw more Sorrento's than Captiva's. Problem with Kia and Hyundai in Thailand is no dealers outside bangkok and who is gonna buy the things when you want to sell them?

Even bigger problem for Hyundai is that Thai's don't forget the last time they exited the country and left their customers high and dry.

Can't comment on the Chevy-Isuzu relationship, but Ford and Mazda definitely share technologies. The two examples I know of, is the CX-9 uses a Ford V6 Engine. Also, the Mazda 2 and the Ford Fiesta share the same platform.

Ford and Chevy confuse me here. They both sell against themself. Ranger/Mazda B.T.and Chevy Colarado V Isuze D Max. What is the Captive based on i wonder.?. Personally i thing they did great harm to their reputation passing off Daewoos as a the Real Deal.At least if yo buy a Mitsu thats what you get with a PJS.My Sons bought the best non 4W.D. Captiva, i will see it at the Water Hurling Weekend.coffee1.gif

What is the connection between Mazda-Ford and Chevrolet-Isuzu?

I know there used to be company connections, but these have (almost) completely disappeared.

Ford had part ownership and cooperation with Mazda from the 1970's and GM had a similar relationship with Isuzu. Ford and GM shareholding of their Japanese partners was significant in the 90's but has since reduced but they continue to cooperate with model development and badge engineering. Hence lots of Ford components in Mazda's and lots of Mazda's sold as Fords etc. Some things stay proprietary though, e.g. Ecoboost and Skyactive engines.

Ford had part ownership and cooperation with Mazda from the 1970's and GM had a similar relationship with Isuzu. Ford and GM shareholding of their Japanese partners was significant in the 90's but has since reduced but they continue to cooperate with model development and badge engineering. Hence lots of Ford components in Mazda's and lots of Mazda's sold as Fords etc. Some things stay proprietary though, e.g. Ecoboost and Skyactive engines.

Ecoboost is shared with Volvo, Jaguar and Land/Range Rover ;)

Yep, presumably following on from the period of Ford ownership of Jag, Volvo and Land Rover.

Odd that Mazda spent money developing the Skyactive engine when Ford had the Ecoboost.

Edited by Jitar

• 9 months later...

Just took the dive and bought me a second hand 2007 LT diesel AWD directly from Chev with full book service history.

car was sold as is without any warranty so it was a bit of a risk, but having the car's history helped some.

chose diesel as had them before and used to their clacking, but this engine is on the noisy side (engine is an Italian VM built by GM under license).

engine has a good amount of torque and once on the way, engine noise subsides.

interior trim is unexpectedly good, for what I paid for (630000 baht. new price was 1600000) as is the sound system.

just some interior creaking and a slightly harsh ride at slow speeds.

car is quite big, at par with the fortuner on the inside. handling is good for a 2 tonne suv and has 4 vented disc brakes for good stopping power.

as for the problems, I have to probably replace a wheel bearing, possibly the starter and a suspension bush.

for what I have paid for it, a very good deal.

Leo

• Like 1

In the post Fortuner 2014 2.5at & 2.5 mt.

You AOP stated that the Captivo your spelling was the best thing since sliced bread. Now it seem that you know BUGGER all about them. I wish you would make up your 'mind' on what you know or 'don't' as the case maybe. I would like to ask do you just lay there at night "thinking" what load of RUBBISH you are going to post next.

Just took the dive and bought me a second hand 2007 LT diesel AWD directly from Chev with full book service history.

car was sold as is without any warranty so it was a bit of a risk, but having the car's history helped some.

chose diesel as had them before and used to their clacking, but this engine is on the noisy side (engine is an Italian VM built by GM under license).

engine has a good amount of torque and once on the way, engine noise subsides.

interior trim is unexpectedly good, for what I paid for (630000 baht. new price was 1600000) as is the sound system.

just some interior creaking and a slightly harsh ride at slow speeds.

car is quite big, at par with the fortuner on the inside. handling is good for a 2 tonne suv and has 4 vented disc brakes for good stopping power.

as for the problems, I have to probably replace a wheel bearing, possibly the starter and a suspension bush.

for what I have paid for it, a very good deal.

Leo

as for the book service, this car's last service cost the previous owner about 40000 in parts and labor!

diesels up to 2011 had a lubrification problem to the camshaft, lifters, etc. if the oil was not of good quality and changed more often than the service intervals recommend.

well, engine had camshaft, lifters, followers and turbo replaced, hence the 40000 baht service charge, which does not include the cost of the new turbo that the previous owner bought himself.

for precaution, I will do oil changes every 5000 km with the best stuff that Chev suggests.

performance wise I would like to remap (not chip), but the only people I know of are in Italy!

will try to find local info on this

Thin Skinned and from a person who chucked his toys out the pram saying hes not posting here anymore.clap2.gif

I said I was not posting anymore because of plank's of wood like you.

But was asked by many peep's via P/M not to do so.

TV could be very informational if it wasn't for some of the idiot's that post complete rubbish just to get more No; under their name.

For your information I'm not thin skinned but I will admit to not suffering fools gladly.

Just out of curiosity why oh why do you have to put those Childish emoticons after every post you make, do you think it make you seem more intelligent???

Come on then answer the question of why you in one post know everything there is about something and a day or hour later put a post in asking questions on same, or stating the complete opposite to that you have previously put in, Just interested that all.

If and when you do reply please make it legible.

Not much bothered what You Think, perhaps other readers have read You in Nakasawan Schoolgirl Giggleing Posts in the Central Section . I have plenty of Likes, despite my admittedly crap Mudled English. Clearly my Bargirls Choice comment has touched a nerve. im just Happy and dont give a Rats Ass.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I for one have no clue what Ace of Pop is talking about most of the time.

Thank Buddha there is at least one other that cant make sense of anything he put's in.

I see that he is still putting in those silly Emotions.

I think the mod's have only put them in for peep's that cant read or write English.

Not much bothered what You Think, perhaps other readers have read You in Nakasawan Schoolgirl Giggleing Posts in the Central Section . I have plenty of Likes, despite my admittedly crap Mudled English. Clearly my Bargirls Choice comment has touched a nerve. im just Happy and dont give a Rats Ass.cheesy.gif

So by getting like's it show's to your way of "thinking" they are just that liked.

Reminds me of going to a Karaoke bar when someone is utter rubbish and every one call's out for more.

By the way you've still not answered any of my question's.

Captiva is a good vehicle but its main issue is PRICE ,,,, Chevy dealers are pricing it 100,000 above the CRV with less generous finance and accessory deals , its a Daewoo / Chevy so cant rival the CRV on reputation and perceived quality its also being dropped from the range soon .

Mind You the recent CRV has not done so well as previous models in EU sales as its now seen as dowdy, undeveloped and expensive in Europe and has more rivals.

Captiva issue is the new v's one year old price there is a huge drop which would indicate that it is heavily over priced, I hVe noticed the trailblazer a lot up here in isaan I have to say it looks pretty good and cheaper than the captiva.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The biggest and most noticeable differences between the Captiva & the likes of the Fortuna and the Trailblazer is the suspension and the brakes. The latter two are built on pick- up chassis that means crap rear suspension and only have drums on the rear brakes. The Captiva rides and handles as a proper SUV should. Yes it's expensive, but you pay for what you get. I've had an LTZ AWD for 4 years now, bought new. Properly serviced at the correct intervals and has never given me a second's problems. The TC diesel ( only 2 liters) is responsive and fast. I've had mine doing close to 200 klicks and could still hear that missed cord on Stairway to Heaven on the supplied hifi. The GPS works like dream. Had it off-road up by the Loa border with no problems at all. Personally however I would have liked a bigger more powerful petrol engine, but at the time of purchase the top of the range model only came as a diesel. I anticipate keeping it for a few years more.

• Like 1

The biggest and most noticeable differences between the Captiva & the likes of the Fortuna and the Trailblazer is the suspension and the brakes. The latter two are built on pick- up chassis that means crap rear suspension and only have drums on the rear brakes. The Captiva rides and handles as a proper SUV should. Yes it's expensive, but you pay for what you get. I've had an LTZ AWD for 4 years now, bought new. Properly serviced at the correct intervals and has never given me a second's problems. The TC diesel ( only 2 liters) is responsive and fast. I've had mine doing close to 200 klicks and could still hear that missed cord on Stairway to Heaven on the supplied hifi. The GPS works like dream. Had it off-road up by the Loa border with no problems at all. Personally however I would have liked a bigger more powerful petrol engine, but at the time of purchase the top of the range model only came as a diesel. I anticipate keeping it for a few years more.

Must agree the Captiva has a lot going for it only fall's down on two point it's size not easy to get three normal size peep's on the back seat with any comfort, and as mentioned the price that's well over the top. Couple of hundred K less and it'll be a great buy.

Re the Fortuner brake's even though it only has drum's on the rear I can assure you it'll stop on a pin. N/B the early one's didn't they I must admit were at best rubbish in all point's, and they did have rear leaf spring's as well that made it handle like a pig. Plus even though it has a 3lt lump it can do with more power, so need's to be tweaked a bit or a lot.

So by getting like's it show's to your way of "thinking" they are just that liked.

Reminds me of going to a Karaoke bar when someone is utter rubbish and every one call's out for more.

By the way you've still not answered any of my question's.

fredob43, no one gives a <deleted> but you. take your pissing contest elsewhere. you bore me.

and if you are going to take it to another poster's english, learn how to use an apostrophe.

Edited by HooHaa

I've been tempted by the captiva for a long time. Sure it's a little expensive but as you say, that's because it's built on a car frame/suspension and not a truck's, so gets whacked with high taxes. Looks are always subjective but I like the rounded fluid looks if the captive better than any of it's Thai market competitors, except the X3. The Fortuner and Trailblazer are too big for what I need and the interiors too spartan. My other choice would be the X3 but it's twice the money of the already pricy captiva.