Safety Kit On Pajero / Fortuner

manzan

I was looking at the Fortuner and Pajero as a family vehicle, considering the 7 seats and relatively low prices... But what about safety kit, i cant seem to find Saftey ratings for them, and i did notice the Fortuner seems to have enforced side bars, anti roll bar on the front suspension (what does that do?) and Vehicle Stability Control.

Does this mean the Fortuner is the safer vehicle out of the two?

The Pajero is the better of the two taking the all round spec. The Fortuner is said to roll badly on corners.

I would question that, our daughter has a new one and l found it OK.

l was behind a Pajero in my ol' Vigo at speed and the Paj was leeeeeeaning whilst going round a curve. w00t.gif .................smile.png

Come on, lets get some feed back from owners. thumbsup.gif

The Pajero is the better of the two taking the all round spec. The Fortuner is said to roll badly on corners.

l was behind a Pajero in my ol' Vigo at speed and the Paj was leeeeeeaning whilst going round a curve. w00t.gif .................smile.png

My dad always said when it comes to cars, don't ask somone that owns one, ask somone that owned one. I've driven both, and I think they are both nice enough rides.

My dad always said when it comes to cars, don't ask somone that owns one, ask somone that owned one. I've driven both, and I think they are both nice enough rides.

Very true. thumbsup.gif

I am Pajero owner. I compared it with the Fortuner and the Pajero won hands down. The nine month delivery time for the Fortuner was one of the turn offs. I understand that it's due to be replaced by a new model next year.

The ride is very comfortable. The cornering is stable. The second row seats have a lot of leg room. The flappy paddles are great for gear shifts and quick acceleration. In auto mode with cruise control long distance travel is very smooth. Air con. is powerful. It has a DVD screen that doubles as a screen for the reversing camera that supplements the audible reversing warning. The front wipers and lights can be set to turn on automatically.

I'm happy that I made the right choice and enjoy driving the vehicle.

• Like 2

Neither of them have been independently crash tested, so there's no definitive numbers.

ANCAP have however published a rating for the Pajero Sport (Challenger in Aust) which they derived directly from the Triton's crash test results (on the basis it would be substantially similar).

In that test, the Pajero Sport scored 4/5 stars, but it's also important to note that the Aust. version comes with side + curtain airbags that Thai models don't have. The Triton with only dual front airbags also rated at 4/5 though (http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=207), so it's pretty safe to assume the Pajero Sport available in TH is a 4-star car.

Based on the same criteria, the Fortuner would also likely rate as 4-star: http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=168

Note that under the newly established ASEAN NCAP criteria, both would likely end up as 4.5-5.0 stars, due to it only requiring 2 airbags for full points.

Newer Fortuners do have VSC (stability control) which could be argued makes it safer - or could be counter-argued is simply a must-have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI

Outside of that, the only other real point of note is that the center of gravity in the Pajero Sport is 100mm lower than the Fortuner's.

I think that should be the definitive list of arguments - debate it between yourselves from here smile.png

• Like 1

Neither of them have been independently crash tested, so there's no definitive numbers.

ANCAP have however published a rating for the Pajero Sport (Challenger in Aust) which they derived directly from the Triton's crash test results (on the basis it would be substantially similar).

In that test, the Pajero Sport scored 4/5 stars, but it's also important to note that the Aust. version comes with side + curtain airbags that Thai models don't have. The Triton with only dual front airbags also rated at 4/5 though (http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=207), so it's pretty safe to assume the Pajero Sport available in TH is a 4-star car.

Based on the same criteria, the Fortuner would also likely rate as 4-star: http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=168

Note that under the newly established ASEAN NCAP criteria, both would likely end up as 4.5-5.0 stars, due to it only requiring 2 airbags for full points.

Newer Fortuners do have VSC (stability control) which could be argued makes it safer - or could be counter-argued is simply a must-have:

Outside of that, the only other real point of note is that the center of gravity in the Pajero Sport is 100mm lower than the Fortuner's.

I think that should be the definitive list of arguments - debate it between yourselves from here smile.png

I was doing that behind the Pajero. laugh.png

The Pajero in Thailand has two front air bags.

Oh, and there's separate air con. venting for the rear passengers that can be turned on or off.

I did say "dual airbags" ;)

As the for roof mounted aircon, yep, Mitsu borrowed that idea from the Fortuner in the 2012 minor change ;)

I was doing that behind the Pajero. laugh.png

Must have had incorrect tire pressures :D :D :D

• Like 1

Got to agree with you TA 'Fortuner's roll' it's the Pajero that lean's just get behind one on a winding road, it's all down to their soft suspension but that does make for a softer ride on bumpy road's. N/B up here they are known as the Pisa after the tower. Safety much of a muchness. Pajero has less room in the back due to their large internal wheel arches, But a point for the Pajero is the back seat's drop down. The Fortuner has better vision out of the back window, and if you want load's more space just take the back seat's out only two 12m bolts 10 Min: and they are gone. Other bit's like rear camera air con C/C are the same, then again toyota has VSC. Paj Flappy paddle's for what ??? But the best bit I have left till last Toyota have a better resale value. More than likely why you have to wait longer for them ???

Edited by fredob43

Got to agree with you TA 'Fortuner's roll' it's the Pajero that lean's just get behind one on a winding road, it's all down to their soft suspension but that does make for a softer ride on bumpy road's. N/B up here they are known as the Pisa after the tower. Safety much of a muchness. Pajero has less room in the back due to their large internal wheel arches, But a point for the Pajero is the back seat's drop down. The Fortuner has better vision out of the back window, and if you want load's more space just take the back seat's out only two 12m bolts 10 Min: and they are gone. Other bit's like rear camera air con C/C are the same, then again toyota has VSC. Paj Flappy paddle's for what ??? But the best bit I have left till last Toyota have a better resale value. More than likely why you have to wait longer for them ???

I must say that I haven't experienced excessive 'lean' with my Pajero.

I enjoyed the Moose Language Soundtrack best of all !! .coffee1.gifbiggrin.png . Any Fool knows they fall over,compared to a Car.. Though some here recon the out handle an Evo. cheesy.gif

I don't see an Evo mentioned anyware in the post's they are seven seater's MPV horse's for course's.

Then again if I remember right there was some one that hired a Fortuner and said they were sluggish on hill's but didn't know they had a 6 speed gearbox or how to use it come to that.

I must say that I haven't experienced excessive 'lean' with my Pajero.

No you wont but get behind one and you'll see it big time. But as I have said they do run smoother on bumpy road's as Thailand has bumpy road's !!! up to you to decide, all in all there's not a lot of difference between the two. Both have their good point's and not so good.

I haven't noticed it while following one either. The same has been said about Fortuners by a friend of my wife who owns one of those and a Pajero. He prefers the Pajero.

Flashing colourful dash lights hmmmm. coffee1.gif ......................smile.png

I haven't noticed it while following one either. The same has been said about Fortuners by a friend of my wife who owns one of those and a Pajero. He prefers the Pajero.

Flashing colourful dash lights hmmmm. coffee1.gif ......................smile.png

You didn't mention the turn the knob 70's air-con set up as against the electric button's.

I frequently move between a Fortuner and Pajero Sport and basically the ride and handling are quite similar and I don't think there is a distinctive advantage in one or the other.

As a family vehicle though, and in particular if you need a 7 seater the PJS is streets ahead due to the better flexibility in the seating and more modern and sensible third row seating. There are often times that I am in the Fortuner and wish I was in the PJS, but I can't recall any occasions when it was the other way around.

In terms of safety both have different forms of reinforced body structures, ABS, and electronic brake distribution. The Fortuner I think has traction control and stability control at least in the better equipped models, which I don't think the PJS offers.

The Pajero in Thailand has two front air bags.

Oh, and there's separate air con. venting for the rear passengers that can be turned on or off.

Fortuner have exactly the same separate aircon, at least the Fortuner 2013 model have it.

I am Pajero owner. I compared it with the Fortuner and the Pajero won hands down. The nine month delivery time for the Fortuner was one of the turn offs. I understand that it's due to be replaced by a new model next year.

The ride is very comfortable. The cornering is stable. The second row seats have a lot of leg room. The flappy paddles are great for gear shifts and quick acceleration. In auto mode with cruise control long distance travel is very smooth. Air con. is powerful. It has a DVD screen that doubles as a screen for the reversing camera that supplements the audible reversing warning. The front wipers and lights can be set to turn on automatically.

I'm happy that I made the right choice and enjoy driving the vehicle.

When and where were you told the 9 months delivery of a Fortuner? I have been told maximum of 1 month but that was just recently.

The Fortuner 2013 have a DVD screen including Sat Nav and a reversing camera ,Cruise control and more accesoires as well but it all depends on the model of course. Further more, i am not a Fortuner owner (yet) but i did consider the PJS versus the Fortuner and i am about to decide on the Fortuner as the specs on the Fortuner are a bit better then the PJS, prefer the looks of th Fortuner as its a bit bigger from inside and outside and quite important : the resale value, thats just cant get better with a Toyota Fortuner in Thailand imo.

And sorry for the OP, i know it was only about the safety packages but i got carried away :)

Edited by juliusk

Between Toyota & Mitsu I think you will find that they basically play leapfrog on the specifications. Mitsu got ahead in 2012 and Toyota have caught up a bit in the latest release so they are basically the same in terms of touch screen at the front, 3 row air conditioning etc. Looking at the top spec 2WD models (3.0V verses 2wdGT) you will see that the Fortuner has the sat nav over the PJS, but the PJS includes the 10 inch screen in the back, both front seats are powered, and a few other small things like automatic wipers. Not big items either way, but for the Fortuner you pay 1,372,000 baht and the PJS can be had for 1,209,000 baht so a big difference on initial outlay which should be kept in mind when talking about resale. The price difference comparing spec to spec goes pretty much acrosss the range.

Yes the Fortuner is 1cm longer and about 2cm wider so marginally bigger but you would be doing well to pick it!!

Safety features it is the Vehicle Stabiliy Control and Traction Control to Toyota.

I own the 2012 model of the PJS. So far, the car has not had one issue mechanically, and as to me, I could not stand either the personality of the Fortuner drivers, let alone the looks of the car.

That's where the subjective ends.

Objectively, I have to say that many elements have come to detract somewhat from my ownership experience of the PJS. For starters, the tobacco smell with which I was gifted upon receiving the car... the unsatisfactory support at Mitsu's support centers, where the information is completely variable (oh, and BTW, the ownership manual is even less precise: for swapping the wheels front to back, it advises to do it when the wheels look used, which is quite revealing).

The second aspect is that some of the plastics (around the window) have badly aged in just eight months. They now show some sort of white surface powder... As though it would be flaking away. For a relatively new car with 12 K kms., that is a bit bad to behold. A colleague of mine, also with a Mitsu (Lancer), had his window plastics replaced for the same problem.

It is not something that affects my enjoyment of the car, but I am rather annoyed to have similar QC issues so early in the life of the car (supposed to hold together for 10-15 years?).

As to handling, I did not test drive a Fortuner and hence cannot say much of its handling. The PJS leans in curves, but if you take them at a reasonable speed, no reason to feel uncomfortable.

I own the 2012 model of the PJS. So far, the car has not had one issue mechanically, and as to me, I could not stand either the personality of the Fortuner drivers, let alone the looks of the car.

That's where the subjective ends.

Objectively, I have to say that many elements have come to detract somewhat from my ownership experience of the PJS. For starters, the tobacco smell with which I was gifted upon receiving the car... the unsatisfactory support at Mitsu's support centers, where the information is completely variable (oh, and BTW, the ownership manual is even less precise: for swapping the wheels front to back, it advises to do it when the wheels look used, which is quite revealing).

The second aspect is that some of the plastics (around the window) have badly aged in just eight months. They now show some sort of white surface powder... As though it would be flaking away. For a relatively new car with 12 K kms., that is a bit bad to behold. A colleague of mine, also with a Mitsu (Lancer), had his window plastics replaced for the same problem.

It is not something that affects my enjoyment of the car, but I am rather annoyed to have similar QC issues so early in the life of the car (supposed to hold together for 10-15 years?).

As to handling, I did not test drive a Fortuner and hence cannot say much of its handling. The PJS leans in curves, but if you take them at a reasonable speed, no reason to feel uncomfortable.

Sad to hear you are having those plastic problems :( I haven't had any problems yet with my PJS. Even the service at their service centers have been great so far. I have been to MAC, Mitsu Sukkhumvit, Mitsu Mahasakaram and Hua Mark. Everything was done on time. The only complaint that I have is that it took quite long for me to get my car. They actually even gave my car away to another customer who paid 20,000 THB under the table to skip the line. After a few phone calls within my network (I work with Mitsubishi Motors for my work), I had my car in 3 days :) The manager at Mitsubishi Mahasarakam was also fired upon investigation for taking bribes so after all still a win :).