Taking Mum To Bangkok

sutton1001

Hi guys ill be taking my mum with me this time so will want to take her to a nice hotel. Will not want to spend more than 9000 baht will just get a twin and want Breakfast included. Would like it to be in a area where it's nice for us to go and have a meal in a good restaurant in the evening and have a few drinks. Normally when I'm passing through I just stay in a cheap as chips place them move on next day so want it to be nice for her and to see the nicer side of Bangkok.

Any recommendations would be more than welcome from you guys.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Try

Pullman Bangkok Kingpower (near Victory Monument) The hotel has a very nice pool, nice Spa and the "Wine Pub" is a popular place. Soi Rangnam, the nearby road, is lively but very nice.

Pullman G Silom (former Sofitel Silom) great location, great upstairs bar.

Cheaper , but still very good quality: Furama Silom onn the opposite side of Silom Road.

All three hotels should be cheaper than your budget and are in a good location.

Check out the Navalai River Resort on Phra Arthit. http://www.navalairiverresort.com/index.html

For me it's possibly the nicest hotel in BKK at the moment. Me and the wife had our latest "mini- 2nd honeymoon" there recently and it's a gem.

Nice for evening drinks by the river, corking food, easy access to the all the main sights plus Khao San Road is close by for a giggle too.

sd avenue in Pinklao, just 10 mins from ko san road, and it is in a predominantly Thai area with relatively few foreigners. There are lots of food options locally from McDonalds to MK to river city (i think thats the name) restaurant which is fantastic and on the river, lots of shopping options, and if i recall correctly they advertise rooms at 1000 baht

Forget Pullman Bangkok G - the bar on level 36, isn't as good as it used to be - for THB9,000 they could probably stay more than a night...

Sofitel So Bangkok, nice restaurants and bars service is a bit hit & miss. Priced under the threshold...

Millenium Hilton or Shangri-La if you want a view of the River of Kings

Grand Hyatt Erawan - should be able to come in under the mark and is a great property - the nightly buffet is quite the feast!

Four Seasons - my personal favorite, depending on what date you're looking at, you should be able to come just shy of the THB9,000... If you can get a Saturday night that comes under the magical baht figure - do so - and stay for Sunday Brunch! Best hangover cure EVER!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Really some of you get a grip. Am I stipulating that it has to be 9000?! NO! Really some of you have no lives. I just want to give my mum a memorable stay in Bangkok if I want to spend 1000 baht or 100000 baht that's up to me. Get a life you trolls.

And to the people who have actually been helpful and gave good advice thank you!

My first choice was the Banyan tree thinking of the restaurant on top being a nice view and a meal. But I will be weighing up all the helpful posts before posting.

Thanks

• Like 1

You might consider the Eastin in Sathorn...its executive rooms with lounge access are nice....and the lounge very pleasant with excellent free cocktails in the evening.

Great views from there too.

Edit: Likely around 5000 Baht too. Certainly had the wow factor for us!

post-78923-0-55717700-1365536654_thumb.ppost-78923-0-57390000-1365536707_thumb.ppost-78923-0-04414100-1365536745_thumb.p

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 2

I put my oldies up at central hotel above central world.

Hotel is ok, but position is perfect for them to wander around, shop and eat.

Easy walk to siam paragon, catch bts

• Like 2

I put my oldies up at central hotel above central world.

Hotel is ok, but position is perfect for them to wander around, shop and eat.

Easy walk to siam paragon, catch bts

Don't know the hotel but the World and Ginger restaurant there is very good....especially the Ginger part with its buffet. Ahhh...the salmon...! biggrin.png

check out Centrepoint Silom right behind the Shangrila, walk to the boatdock for a river cruise, nice big rooms with kitchen and for less than $300 you could get one of thier better rooms, pool and good breakfast, robinsons and supermarket, fastfood 7 11 downstairs walk to skytrain silom route

I know, that my choices were not 9k a night.
i just see no reason to spend that much, because quality in 3+ (Furama) or 4 (the others) is excellent for a lot less.

But IF you really want to spend...Grand Hyatt would be my choice.

You might consider the Eastin in Sathorn...its executive rooms with lounge access are nice....and the lounge very pleasant with excellent free cocktails in the evening.

Great views from there too.

Edit: Likely around 5000 Baht too. Certainly had the wow factor for us!

attachicon.gifeastin1.PNGattachicon.gifeastin2.PNGattachicon.gifeastin3.PNG

One thing I forgot to mention is this hotel has direct BTS access which is also handy....particularly if your mum is advancing in years.

Yeah I probably won't spend that I just thought to myself would be willing to spend £200 max. My parents have been awesome to me throughout my life. I just wanted to make it a little special for her.

No harm in that :-)

Ok so I booked the banyan tree as think it will be really nice to have drinks on the top floor. Weather permitting!

Now just need to find a really good restaurant. Looking at the banyan trees restaurants they sound really expensive and some mixed reviews also.

Cheers guys. If anyone can recommend a good restaurant experience then please do let us know.

Thanks

Avoid Lebua (State Tower of The Hangover 2 fame) and Red Sky (Centara Grand) also - both similar in concept to Banyan Tree (high rise outdoor) both charge like wounded buffalo...

What type of fare are you after and how much are you willing to part with?

Really depends what you want to eat?

Plenty of good buffet dinner places around...do a search on the Bangkok Forum and you can choose one.

For Thai food many options too although most really good places are out of the way.

Rooftop or restaurants with a view are mostly overpriced....Oriental springs to mind.

If I want good food I go for Mexican at La Monita. :D

It's not necessarily my favorite 5 star in Bangkok but the Peninsula is a nice alternative in that both rooms and restaurants have a view of Bangkok from the other side of the river - which offers the river view AND and the city skyline. It's a nice free boat ride across the river to the BTS, Asiatique or the Silom vicinity and, as hotels will, they sometimes do some great deals there if you deal directly with sales - you might even get a suite with an amazing outdoor deck and jacuzzi...wait, I'm thinking girlfriend or wife, not mom!

Anyway, it's been rated many a time as best in the world by some, and the service is first rate. Another possibility.

BTW, not that it it's any of my business nor should you care, but I don't see why you shouldn't splash out on a real nice place for your mom if you have the budget to do so. I would too.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

Good choice, Banyan Tree. Their roof top place is a wonderful place for an evening drink. And both Saffron (thai) and Baiyuan (Chinese) restaurants serve good cuisine with breath taking views of the city. The Rom Sai buffet on ground floor is also good. Or you can go to any of the restsurants in the adjacent Sukhothai or the So Sofitel on the opposite side. Possibilities are endless, decide what cuisine you want and then look.