Costs In Thailand For Newborns Everyday Needs

OxfordWill

Hi Mums & Dads,

I am trying to work out the everyday costs for a newborn in Bangkok.

So, in my limited experience of these matters, that is items like:

- Milk/formula (the mother in question has a medical condition so cannot breastfeed beyond first few months)

- Nappies

- Clothes / wipes

- er.. ?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sure formula prices vary between cheap and pricier than silver per ounce, but maybe someone knows the score with this and can recommend best brand for quality/price.

What other things should she consider?

Thanks very much for any help..

Edited by OxfordWill

Congrats.

Calculate 1500-2000 baht / month for formula and nappies.

Don't use wipes, use water, better.

I buy Babylove nappies and Dumex formula.

Benjamin is 1 year and 7 months now so the cost for nappies have gone up but the formula prize has gone down.

Consider getting less sleep. laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats smile.png

I would agree with PoorSucker, about 1 500-1 800 bahts/month.

I was buying Dumex formula at Tesco or Makro. About 220 bahts by bag and I usually used a few bags a month.

2-3 bags of baby diapers. I was buying Drypers 72 diapers pack at Big C.

Few bags of wipes (80 bahts/bag Big C brand)

You can save a few hundred bahts if you watch for promotion.

Using water instead of wipes is a good idea.

You're right these things can vary quite a lot depending on what you want/ can pay. From what I recollect a lot of the differences on formula milk come down to branding rather than nutritional importance. Some dissolve a bit easier than others - ours liked "snow". Nestle was OK too. Once they got used to one brand though they could be a bit fussy with changes. Just remember to check the stage: stage 1 usually for newborns, stage 2 say over 6 mths. It varies and often is only written in Thai - which I recall you read I think. If not ask to make sure

I'd suggest a trip down to Tesco's they have almost everything you need under one roof, you can also check out own brand nappies. Baby wipes aren't that expensive but very convenient.

Add to your list a bottle steriliser/ steamer (500 baht - ish) no need for the expensive one, and some bottles. We liked the ones that have an angled top and reduced wind.

The young lady may also appreciate breast pads if she is breast feeding at all. These place in her bra to stop embarassing leakages on to her tops. This would gain you extra brownie points as a thoughtful chap. Not essential, but thoughtful :)

You're a gent helping out if I'm reading it's not yours. Congrats if it is :)

Cheers

Fletch :)

• Like 1

<<Once they got used to one brand though they could be a bit fussy with changes>>

True. My daughter always preferred the Dumex brand (orange bag/box) and when I tried another brand of formula with her, she always made faces and stop drinking pretty quickly. For that reason, I always continued with Dumex but just changed the formula stage as she grew up.