One In Three Oppose Lewd Acts During Songkran: Survey

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth do they equate 1,253 people to be representative of over 60 million Thais?

Since you asked:

Statistical sampling:

For a **Confidence level** of 95%, and a **Confidence interval** of 3%

Over a population of 60,000,000

The sampling size would need to be **1067*** to b representative of the entire population

• Like 1

How on earth do they equate 1,253 people to be representative of over 60 million Thais?

Where is there any mention of 60 million people in the post? That was your assumption. It is the results based on 1253 people and your personal assumption that it was for all Thailand.

OP states One-third of the Thai public is opposed to various types of lewd acts during the Songkran Festival celebration later this month, according to an opinion survey by National Institute of Development

Administration (NIDA).

No assumptions made. Thai Public =~ 60 million.

About 7 years ago my wife & i . were on walking st.

there were 3 beautiful ladies ,stark naked dancing

on a balcony , could not believe when my wife said

they actually men who had sex change . If this is

`lewd ` act i`m all for it.

HMMM - this is typical of polling...LOL

US polls predict Presidential winners with such small samples, so why cant Thailand have useless polls as well..?

I remember reading that Songkran is originally a festival with Buddhist roots, and children were supposed to pour water gently over the heads of their parents and elders. Maybe some Thais still believe in Buddhism (I hope so) and don't want the holiday to become a drunken wet T-shirt party.

Can't farang men see Thai girls bodies, wet or otherwise, while drunk, in plenty of other venues?

Personally speaking, I'd just let the Thais have their Buddhist holidays and not get all in an uproar if it's not turned into just a water war. Have the water war on another day. Or just go to the beach.

I know many Thais are the ones going overboard on Songkran, but it's funny how bent out of shape all the foreigner men are getting over this.

Edited by BigJoe

From the survey results mentioned here, it seems that most Thais are in favor of Songran the way it has been in the past - lewd acts (skimpy dress, dancing) ok, drinking/being drunk ok (driving drunk not), super-soakers, ice in water, etc.

It's just the party poopers that have a problem with this, but then again, party poppers have problems with anyone having fun and enjoying the moment. Generally party poopers are old people that like to live in retirement communities among same age folks and can't stand having young people around.

Happy SongKran to everyone. Water throwing wether it is colored or scented or ice cold buzzed up or not is one of the worlds greatest celebrations hands down. What is even better is Dom Hua where water is offered in a sacred way to the elders and people that you love.

Have a safe, a happy SongKran!

I remember reading that Songkran is originally a festival with Buddhist roots, and children were supposed to pour water gently over the heads of their parents and elders. Maybe some Thais still believe in Buddhism (I hope so) and don't want the holiday to become a drunken wet T-shirt party.

Can't farang men see Thai girls bodies, wet or otherwise, while drunk, in plenty of other venues?

Personally speaking, I'd just let the Thais have their Buddhist holidays and not get all in an uproar if it's not turned into just a water war. Have the water war on another day. Or just go to the beach.

I know many Thais are the ones going overboard on Songkran, but it's funny how bent out of shape all the foreigner men are getting over this.

Well I'm not sure you've nailed the problem here Big Joe. I went in the back of the Thai inlaws pick-up thru the streets of Ayuttya a couple of years ago and very few Farangs were there. Plenty of Thais heaving buckets of water tho. Don't think any of them felt they were turning their backs on Bhudda. This festival has simply evolved from its beginnings.

I'm an ignoramus... if lewd behavior means putting any shit in water (including ice!) - I'm against it.

What is 'Thai Lewd Behavior" anyway?

Nowadays prefix 'Thai' is used rather loosely: thai-culture, thai-love, thai-girls, thai-politics, thai-crime, thai-fidelity etc.cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

Happy Songkran!

Well I'm not sure you've nailed the problem here Big Joe. I went in the back of the Thai inlaws pick-up thru the streets of Ayuttya a couple of years ago and very few Farangs were there. Plenty of Thais heaving buckets of water tho. Don't think any of them felt they were turning their backs on Bhudda. This festival has simply evolved from its beginnings.

Naaaaaah...it's the bad farangs fault!

Thais are such good, peaceful and Buddha- loving persons...they would never behave like that!

...and if you don't like it- go home!

(Attention: sarcasm!)

Where is there any mention of 60 million people in the post? That was your assumption. It is the results based on 1253 people and your personal assumption that it was for all Thailand.

OP states One-third of the Thai public is opposed to various types of lewd acts during the Songkran Festival celebration later this month, according to an opinion survey by National Institute of Development

Administration (NIDA).

No assumptions made. Thai Public =~ 60 million.

Now that you have taken the position of defending this survey please tell us where it was taken, who were the participants, were they a true cross reference of the Thailand population, what questions were asked, how were they asked, the qualification and experience of the survey takers-you get the point, you don't know! To represent 60 million people it must be a cross reference of the population not one small geographical area.

For all you know it taken at some high school dining room as an assignment in Buri Ram by high school students and only Buri Ram high school students were questioned. Nothing in the topic indicates that the survey is a good one except the assumptions here by TV members.

People are far too quick to jump to conclusions because they read a minimal and poorly written topic on the internet and without questioning the source and competence of the report. This is especially true and all too common for TV forum members.

It would make a huge difference if the question was:

What do you think about lewd conduct in Songkra? and 1/3 were offended.

or What bothers you most about Songkran? and 1/3 chose lewd conduct instead of ice water, or powder or something else.

Naaaaaah...it's the bad farangs fault!

Thais are such good, peaceful and Buddha- loving persons...they would never behave like that!

...and if you don't like it- go home!

(Attention: sarcasm!)

Nah, it's just funny that all the guys are getting all worked up over this.

Who is getting paid for seeking out a survey like this ???? people with nothing better to do with their time. Good for a laugh I suppose BUT. sick to do a survey on this.

Wouldn't let me do a smiley--and cup of coffee, can't we dig up some better material to comment on. ???

"NIDA was established with financial support from the prestigious Ford Foundation in the U.S.A. and academic assistance from the Midwest Universities Consortium for International Activities (MUCIA), the official accrediting organization of all U.S. institutions of higher education, and became an educational institute of higher education for Thai scholars who would otherwise study abroad."

My son has informed me there is a very strong opposition to the government now, mainly because of the new laws. he said that the people are becoming tired of the police and many people are at a point where they are ready to revolt. one item they will not allow is politicians breaking the law during elections ie. megaphones and posters blocking vision on roads. also they want to set up vigilantist groups that will catch police breaking the law.

Interesting, but what that got to do with the OP?

My son has informed me there is a very strong opposition to the government now, mainly because of the new laws. he said that the people are becoming tired of the police and many people are at a point where they are ready to revolt. one item they will not allow is politicians breaking the law during elections ie. megaphones and posters blocking vision on roads. also they want to set up vigilantist groups that will catch police breaking the law.

Interesting, but what that got to do with the OP?

Which country are you talking about Greece, Cypress, the US or maybe Thailand?