Taxi-Driver Returns Bt520,000 In Lost Cash

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody who has had to scrimp and save for that money would lose it in a taxi like a moron. If I had that in cash my hand would be locked like a vice around it. It's clearly chump change to them. i.e. Easy come, easy go or a fool and his/her money... I mean to not even ask his name when he returned it. Oh my god!

The poor taxi driver while a good man was actually pretty much insulted for his good deed in my opinion. Until he came back they had lost everything.

violin.gif Life isn't fair mr taxi driver.

i start to believe all this "honest and returning people" is just a scam for TAT

how come so many people travel with big piles of cash that always seem to forget it ?????????????

and than honest JOE SOMCHAI brings it back

put the focus on the right hand so nobody sees what the left is doing ?

I've been wondering about all these 'cash lost in taxi stories' too.

Years ago in the UK, there was a similar story involving the gas board. Apparently they replaced someone's old cooker and took away the old one, the owner forgetting he had his life savings in there. However, amidst big fanfare, the gas board managed to track down the cooker before it went to the scrap yard and return the owner's money, the story appearing in the press.

Always wondered if these stories are some sort of positive marketing ploy.

Edited by katana

They should have given the taxi driver a lot more than 2000 baht, that is just pathetic. The cab driver could have claimed 27,500 baht of that money.

Thai civil code

Section 1324. A finder of lost property may claim from the person entitled to receive it a reward of ten per cent of the value of the property up to thirty thousand baht, and five per cent on the additional value.

When i read the headline and then read he had got a reward my brain was calculating what i would have given him. I then scrolled down to find he got 2000 Bt. This couple had lost 500,000 Baht and this guy has the decency to return it and this is his reward!

Im sure most of us if we lost 1000Bt and it was returned would give the person at least 200Bt. I cant see why the same cant be done in this scenario. Imagine if they droped him 50,000. It would of made his year!!

Bout 3 weeks ago I found a 1000 baht note scrunched up on the floor at the supermarket...... I straightened him out and stuck him in my wallet next to his friends.

Kudo's to the taxi driver though.

i start to believe all this "honest and returning people" is just a scam for TAT

how come so many people travel with big piles of cash that always seem to forget it ?????????????

and than honest JOE SOMCHAI brings it back

put the focus on the right hand so nobody sees what the left is doing ?

I've been wondering about all these 'cash lost in taxi stories' too.

Years ago in the UK, there was a similar story involving the gas board. Apparently they replaced someone's old cooker and took away the old one, the owner forgetting he had his life savings in there. However, amidst big fanfare, the gas board managed to track down the cooker before it went to the scrap yard and return the owner's money, the story appearing in the press.

Always wondered if these stories are some sort of positive marketing ploy.

Who knows. At least if it is PR BS the writer knows the difference between good and bad.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be an excessive amount of these " massive sum of money lost in taxi, and returned by good hearted taxi driver" stories ??? Last time I left a phone in a taxi, he ransomed it back to me.. :-(

Figure it out for your self out of 28 posts to date there was only one other negative one besides yours and so far none where the items were never heard of again. [That is negative towards the taxi driver not the beneficiary]

Who knows maybe we will hear more on the negative side about taxi drivers but so far they are looking pretty good to me.

OK now up to 60 posts and only two more negative ones on the subject None of them including yours that is big a loss. One ridiculous one.

Of course the Thai bashers are in here to talk about other negative things that have happened to them l

like Taxi's not stopping of refusing to use the meter. Big deal there is another coming along.

How ever the 500baht when you are holding a baby is a definite NO NO.

I have already figured out that there seems to be an excessive amount of people leaving large amounts of money in cabs that is miraculously returned.

Especially odd in light of the fact when Thai people count money to me it is carefully done three times, showing a fear of loss. Now just leave a huge amount in a cab ?????????

Thanks to DP25 for this , I had no idea that Thailand had codified a reward amount. That is very interesting, I will have to keep this in mind.. :-)

Thai civil code

Section 1324. A finder of lost property may claim from the person entitled to receive it a reward of ten per cent of the value of the property up to thirty thousand baht, and five per cent on the additional value.

They should have given the taxi driver a lot more than 2000 baht, that is just pathetic. The cab driver could have claimed 27,500 baht of that money.

Thai civil code

that might be the case if a person find something on the road but not if a passenger forgets something in a taxi.

• 1 month later...

Has nobody heard of cashier's cheques? Easier and much safer.

Can you get them here in Thailand banks?

If you can are they like checks from back home that can take up to 5 weeks to clear?

For a cashiers check I had to go the the Head Office of my bank (TMB).

Last December, prior to my permenant move here, my wife and I were coming back from the Grand Place area of BKK having seen the lights prior to the Kings Birthday, by taxi to Sutthisan. Pay the driver, got out, and then released as he pulled away my wallet wasn't with me.

Panic!!! 4000B all UK debit and credit cards, UK driving licence all inside, hotel keyboard as well. Did I have the taxi number no, or driver name no....phone calls made cards cancelled, and reported at local police station ( very nice and helpful police officer)

Anyway 7am next morning call from reception, the taxi driver had found my wallet in the back of his taxi, found key card, with hotel details, and called them. He returned my wallet the next evening, all intact, cards and cash ect. I was so relieved and grateful. I gave him 1000B to as a thank you. Some will say too much, but when you have been so stupid as I was, the relief to get it all back. It was the driving licence I was more worried about as the hassle in getting a new one, when they are lost is unbelievable, I looked it up to see what to do. Cards were easy to cancel, and used Skype on my phone, using free hotel wifi, so no big expensive phone calls.

And learnt my lesson, do I need to carry so many cards, NO, cash now down to 2000B as well.

I wish I had his name and details, my wife spoke to him, as Thai, and can't remember his details either. But a very honest taxi driver as well.

excessive cards i understand trimming back, there is no need for more than an atm card maybee cc and some id.

however 4000 thb is hardly the end of the world, or an unreasonable amount carry around and 2000 barely pays for a decent dinner out.

i dont use th atm for less than 5000 baht at a time, any less and i find im back the next day.

and i do not live large, but have a family in bkk.

it goes fast.