Report Phuket Penang Visa Run The Slow Way

Actaully it wasn't all slow as the only fast way from Phuket to Penang is on the Firefly turbo-prop, which is how I went there. A bit expensive, even though I booked early. They then made me several offers via email to buy an empty seat next to me for 15 Ringitt. Totally unnecessary as there were few people on the flight. If there load factor is always that low I would expect them to stop the service.

I got my 3 month "ED" visa no problem. The last time I came back from Penang I took a mini-van and I promised myself never to do that again. They do make it so convemnient though. You do not get your visa back until 2PM the day after you apply, which must be done before 11AM. The mini-vans all then leave at 4PM and they come pick you up at your hotel, costs about 25 Ringitt.

I decided to take the train from Butterworth to Haad Yai. The train is scheduled to leave Butterworth at 2:20 PM. Impossible to catch even if you get your visa promptly at 2 PM. Therefore I decided to stay one night in Butterworth. I got my visa about 2:30 and took a bus to the ferry, cost 1 Ringitt 20 Sens. the ferry ride leaving Penang is free, you only pay coming the other way. They ought to use this method to make some money at the Sarasin Bridge. The nearest hotels to the ferry turn out to be a long walk, 20minutes at least. The bus cost 2 Ringitt. The road goes straight away from the ferry and the hotels are along this road. I don't think many travellers choose this option. Most people at these hotels came in cars. Note: the only acohol sold retail was at the 7-11 near tjhe ferry and they had a prominent sign posted saying "alcohol is for non-Muslims only". It turned out that there was a bar/snooker club across from my hotel with rahter pricey draft beer.

The next day I took the bus to the train station. They are building a new train station and the current one is rather "temorary". I was there well before 2:20 PM and entered a waiting room full of backpackers. It truned out that the Haad Yai train was late and hadn't even arrived yet. It also could not enter the station as both tracks were full, one with the Kuala Lampur train, which left with about half of the backpackers, and the other with the Eastern and Oriental Express, very classy indeed. My ticket to Haad Yai was 11 Ringitt and 10 Sens. A ticket on the E&O to Haad Yai was US$1640!!!

My ticket was stamped "No guaranteed Seat". The train finally left about 2 hours late and there were plenty of seats all the way to Pedang Besar. We caught up with the E&O there. The passengers were in their dining car with glasses of wine (men in tie and jacket). The empty champagne glasses were sitting in their suites. They were pulling out as we were pulling in. Everyone must get off the train and go through Immingratio, out of Malaysia and into Thailand. This takes a while plus they change the engine from a Malyasian one to a Thai one. The next stop after Pedang Besar the train filled up, and not just with passengers, all manner of luggage, boxes and bags were everywhere. I had to stand all the way to Haad Yai. Arrived almost on time at 10PM. Most people were going all the way to Bangkok.

The next day I tood a 10:45 bus from the Haad Yai bus station to Phuket. The 10:45 bus has a "Business Class" compartment downstairs for about 450 Baht. I found it to have plenty of leg room plus I didn't have to get nervous watching the bus driver. We arrived in Phuket about 6:45PM, so it took almost 8 hours, although we did have a leisurely lunch stop just before we got to Trang.

Those mini-vans sure make it convenient and affordable but I hate them!!

• Like 2

Actually if you do not mind the added expense or can share with one or two the share taxi service between Butterworth/Penang and Hat Yai is a good option as as fast and comfortable if you do not have it fill up. Although my last trip was about a decade ago there was a station just outside the bus station at ferry terminal. Agree the vans can be nasty at times.

• Like 1