Taking Bt500K Into Isaan Village: Safe Or Not?

doontp

I will be having a wedding party in an Isaan village. I agreed to display Bt 500k for the sin sot and 5 Bt of gold. I’m not giving the money…only showing it. I do have concerns about bringing this amount of money into an Isaan village. These people are poor.

I plan on transporting this inside a safe from Bkk to the village….about a 5-6 hr drive. I plan to open the safe at the wedding at the proper time and allowing the money to be spread out for viewing. Afterwards, the money will be gathered and locked back up into the safe. The safe will then be locked inside my vehicle. Nothing will leave my sight. during the viewing.

The procedures have already been discussed and agreed upon.

Can anyone anticipate any problems I might have?

I would like to get people’s opinion/suggestions on this and their experience with the showing, handling and transporting of the money.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think it's too great an amount to safely transport. We put 100k in cash on show and even with police family members in attendance the family was concerned with security.

An option may be an amount less than 100k in crisp new notes in varying denominations. They can be fanned out on a bowl like flower petals to look more than it actually is. The gold can be placed in the middle and cheque, chanote, vehicle ownership papers etc displayed around to make it look good.

You might have some trouble getting it back.

Best if you have a trusted party to keep there eyes on it at all times.

Showing that kind of cash can attract the wrong kind of interest. I would get it deposited bask into a bank account ASAP.

Is there a town nearby??

Display a check instead of cash. Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, that won't work, they like to see cash.

They can be fanned out on a bowl like flower petals to look more than it actually is. The gold can be placed in the middle and cheque, chanote, vehicle ownership papers etc displayed around to make it look good.

All the weddings I have been to (including mine) the cash is counted in the presence of everyone and the amount announced.

Best way as Boo mentioned, is to have a friend there to keep an eye on it, then take it straight to the bank straight after (which is what I did)

totster :)

Display a check instead of cash. Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, that won't work, they like to see cash.

>They can be fanned out on a bowl like flower petals to look more than it actually is. The gold can be placed in the middle and cheque, chanote, vehicle ownership papers etc displayed around to make it look good.

All the weddings I have been to (including mine) the cash is counted in the presence of everyone and the amount announced.

Best way as Boo mentioned, is to have a friend there to keep an eye on it, then take it straight to the bank straight after (which is what I did)

totster smile.png

I guess it depends on local customs where the OP's wedding takes place.

I've been to a few in our area of Issan where counting doesn't take place. These have ranged from simple village folk marrying to upmarket weddings with the keys to her new 2 door merc sitting in the middle of the money fan.

so someone could in effect just nick your car & deal with the safe at a later date?

IMO I would have a friend come with who after the showing takes it straight to the bank.

that is possible, I have thought of that. thanks for the reply.

Personally I think it's too great an amount to safely transport. We put 100k in cash on show and even with police family members in attendance the family was concerned with security.

An option may be an amount less than 100k in crisp new notes in varying denominations. They can be fanned out on a bowl like flower petals to look more than it actually is. The gold can be placed in the middle and cheque, chanote, vehicle ownership papers etc displayed around to make it look good.

Thanks, I like the idea of chanote and vehicle ownership papers.

Showing that kind of cash can attract the wrong kind of interest. I would get it deposited bask into a bank account ASAP.

Is there a town nearby??

Yes, this is in Korat Province. Thanks for the advice.

Is there a town nearby??

Large place.. how far is the local town ?

"Can anyone anticipate problems I might have" ?

You mean except from posting it on a public forum with a picture of yourself ?? whistling.gif

Relax. Thailand is very much a cash-society, so a lot of money is moved around every day in different fashions. And 500k isn't THAT much, so why the safe (!) in the car? A Tesco plasticbag and in the pocket will do the trick. When the "showing" is over, count the money, back in the plasticbag and to the bank you go, Hope your new inlaws are going to keep some of it ??

I'm walking in Tesco and someone recognizes me from my picture. What will they do? Yell out that I have 500k? OMG. I'm afraid and being sarcastic with you. Don't take me seriously.

Why the safe in the car? Answer: like....uuhh...to be safe dude!!! (spoken like a California surfer)

Inlaws keeping some of it? no....but will help in the future...that's inevitable.

thanks for the post....dude.

Is there a town nearby??

totster smile.png

Local town is close enough.

You're afraid the family and/or friends are going to rob you, yet you are still planning on getting married?

Wouldn't you be.better off finding out sooner rather then later?

It's five bundles of 1000 baht notes. I would carry it in my pocket, and ask my father-in-law to watch it.

Edited by mogandave
  • Like 1

Is there a town nearby??

totster smile.png

Local town is close enough.

Cool.. yeah, sensible not to be specific.

At the risk of sounding cynical, don't trust these people. I was in exactly the same position late last year, i was fortunate as my buddy was with me and he took pics so kept the dosh in his camera case until it was needed. After the ceremony don't waste one moment in getting it back and take it straight to the bank. The longer the inlaws keep it the harder it will be to get it back, no matter how clear you made it that it's only for show. You must get it back ASAP, then you can relax. Just think how it would sour the marriage if the inlaws stole it. If u don't get it back then bail, as the marriage will be doomed anyway.

I doubt a cheque will work, but do it if u can.

good luck

D

M

Edited by deadman

You mean except from posting it on a public forum with a picture of yourself ??

Relax. Thailand is very much a cash-society, so a lot of money is moved around every day in different fashions. And 500k isn't THAT much, so why the safe (!) in the car? A Tesco plasticbag and in the pocket will do the trick. When the "showing" is over, count the money, back in the plasticbag and to the bank you go, Hope your new inlaws are going to keep some of it ??

I agree with Soi41 THB500k is not a lot of cash in Thai society. I know many locals in my village who buy a 900K pickup with cash. I have not heard of any robbery during any weddings in my village either. Best not to show the safe. I think you will be the laughing stock in the village thereafter - the first farang to bring a safe (and from your description a 'portable' one) to keep his 500k safe!

Just have a buddy take 100% care of it, from the time it is out of the bank (or money changer) to the time it gets deposited back into the bank account. And make sure he or she doesn't drink on that day! Good luck and congratulations.

Update:

wife and me spent Songkran in Korat with her parents.

I shared my concern about bringing Bt500k into the village and told them I'd rather bring a check for Bt400k and Bt100k cash. Dad was not happy at first, but eventually said it was ok to bring a check. His concern is that other people will think the check is fake.

His concern is that other people will think the check is fake.

Indeed, let's face it.. anyone can write a cheque for any amount if they wish. But if they are happy with the arrangement that's what matters.

Just another thought.. is it possible to put that 400,000 into another bank account then 'show' the bank book as well ?

totster smile.png

I agree with Soi41 THB500k is not a lot of cash in Thai society. I know many locals in my village who buy a 900K pickup with cash. I have not heard of any robbery during any weddings in my village either. Best not to show the safe. I think you will be the laughing stock in the village thereafter - the first farang to bring a safe (and from your description a 'portable' one) to keep his 500k safe!

Just have a buddy take 100% care of it, from the time it is out of the bank (or money changer) to the time it gets deposited back into the bank account. And make sure he or she doesn't drink on that day! Good luck and congratulations.

I am supposedly the first falang to ever set foot in this village. this village does not have any nice houses. only one nice pickup truck.

also, with all due respect.....I am not worried about what a bunch of people in an Isaan village think of me. they don't determine anything in my life. Do you think they worry about what we think of them?

thank you for the congrats and your post.

His concern is that other people will think the check is fake.

Indeed, let's face it.. anyone can write a cheque for any amount if they wish. But if they are happy with the arrangement that's what matters.

Just another thought.. is it possible to put that 400,000 into another bank account then 'show' the bank book as well ?

totster smile.png

I thought of that during the drive back to BKK. My wife thought it was not a good idea, since I had already committed to a check. Besides, my wife works at K Bank and that is where the check will come from

Put a very large, official looking stamp on a letter with bank letterhead that states something important sounding about money and commitment blah blah. Then stamp and get a regal looking signature over that letter (printed on embossed paper), the bank book, and the check, so they look "tied together". Maybe gold leaf around the edge of the letter, and the letter in a picture frame? Remember, it is all about APPEARANCE.

Happy marriage!

• Like 1

Put a very large, official looking stamp on a letter with bank letterhead that states something important sounding about money and commitment blah blah. Then stamp and get a regal looking signature over that letter (printed on embossed paper), the bank book, and the check, so they look "tied together". Maybe gold leaf around the edge of the letter, and the letter in a picture frame? Remember, it is all about APPEARANCE.

Happy marriage!

Ah a Ko-san Rd genuine fake..........thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I am supposedly the first falang to ever set foot in this village. this village does not have any nice houses. only one nice pickup truck.

also, with all due respect.....I am not worried about what a bunch of people in an Isaan village think of me. they don't determine anything in my life. Do you think they worry about what we think of them?

thank you for the congrats and your post.

Not atall, the only people to be affected by what you do before you get back in your car and drive away are the parents and family of your wife to be, a little thought and consideration for their feelings during and after your wedding would not be amiss, after all a small Thai village is a relentless place to live if you are the focus of all the gossip and trust me they would be and for along time. A cheque and small amount of money would cause your future wifes family to "lose face" and could therefore soil future relations with you and them, also remember any deemed wrong doing by you would put excessive pressure on your wife and in turn possibly on your relationship.

I appreciate your input. It has me thinking.

• Like 2

Not atall, the only people to be affected by what you do before you get back in your car and drive away are the parents and family of your wife to be, a little thought and consideration for their feelings during and after your wedding would not be amiss, after all a small Thai village is a relentless place to live if you are the focus of all the gossip and trust me they would be and for along time. A cheque and small amount of money would cause your future wifes family to "lose face" and could therefore soil future relations with you and them, also remember any deemed wrong doing by you would put excessive pressure on your wife and in turn possibly on your relationship.

I appreciate your input. It has me thinking.

It should, it's a good post... he has absolutely hit the nail on the head

totster smile.png

• Like 2