Windows X P To Be Retired In April 2014, Microsoft Warns

webfact

The other problem in retiring XP is that many software programs will not work in Win 7 or 8.

I had to say goodbye to Adobe Photoshop 6, goodbye to MS Office 2003, goodbye to the Roxio suite, and goodbye to my old faithful HP scanner. But it's amazing how many free software programs are available on line that do most of the tasks performed by expensive software.

For example, I now use Paint.NET that does all I need for photos.

Kingsoft Writer takes care of my word processing needs.

Infra Recorder burns my CD's.

.....but I did have to buy a new scanner.

I recently changed from XP to Win 7 64-bit - main board died in my old PC so bought a new machine.

I had been using Photoshop 6 for a very long time - never felt the need to upgrade - and was very surprised when it installed and ran in Win 7 with no issues whatsoever. I think that it's probably running in compatibility mode but I never initiated this - it installed just like any other software. It's also a bit surprising that Photoshop 6, which is clearly not a 64-bit application, will run happily on a 64-bit system.

Actually, if I look under Program Files I find that there are separate X64 and X86 folders and Photoshop is under X86. I've got quite a few other ex-XP programs happily running as well.

DM

I recently changed from XP to Win 7 64-bit - main board died in my old PC so bought a new machine.

I had been using Photoshop 6 for a very long time - never felt the need to upgrade - and was very surprised when it installed and ran in Win 7 with no issues whatsoever. I think that it's probably running in compatibility mode but I never initiated this - it installed just like any other software. It's also a bit surprising that Photoshop 6, which is clearly not a 64-bit application, will run happily on a 64-bit system.

Actually, if I look under Program Files I find that there are separate X64 and X86 folders and Photoshop is under X86. I've got quite a few other ex-XP programs happily running as well.

DM

I've read that Photoshop 6 will run under Win 7 64-bit but when installed under Win 7 32-bit, it either won't run at all, or it runs very slowly.

Some say that PS6 isn't fully functional under Win7 64-bit.

I've also read that when trying to install PS6 under the 32 bit system, it throws up an error message, but if you leave it alone for a while, the installation will complete successfully.

I'm using Win 7 32-bit program and although I am very happy with Paint.NET, I might try to install PS6 and see what happens....just for the heck of it.

@Mighty Mouse. Have you tried the open source P/S option? If not the search Gimp on Google, think you will find it will do everything P/S does, and it is free. Here is a link for it.thumbsup.gif

I didn't see the link, but I'll search for it. Thanks.

I found this advice on the net:

After having the same troubles with installing Photoshop 6.0 on Win 7 x64 Professional I finally got the installation working by doing the following:
  • Run msconfig
  • Select Diagnostic startup
  • Reboot computer
  • Locate Photoshop file setup.exe (it's in sub directory "Adobe Photoshop 6" on the CD)
  • Right click on setup.exe and choose Run as administrator
  • Now the installation program should start, it did for me at least.
  • Go through installation as usual.
  • Run msconfig again
  • Select Normal startup
  • Reboot computer
  • Enjoy
I hope that helps someone.

Hahaha, sorry got distracted and just posted. crazy.gif

Here: GIMP

Thanks, Psycho01.

I Googled some comparative reviews for Gimp V Paint.NET, and the field is divided but more seem to be favouring Paint.NET.

Gimp is a complete program but Paint.NET has a multitude of freely available add-ons that builds the software according to your needs.

Photoshop 6 is, or was, the Bible for photo editing, but for the average Joe (me) it was far too complex for performing basic tasks. Gimp or Paint.NET should satisfy the needs of the average Joe and could also satisfy the needs of some of the more advanced users.

^ First you complain about not being able to use ps6 with w7, then you say it was far too complex for you ??? I would like to challenge all you fossils saying how bad w7 is to be more specific in your complaints comparing xp to w7. Come on lets have some concrete examples/problems instead of your lame non-existent arguments about upgrading to a much better operating system. Maybe the world should never advance computing because you are unable to learn something new.

I have run XP for a decade with the automatic updates switched off. For most of that time I used AVG free version as my only virus software. Recently AVG has become way too bloated and drags on my computers resources.

I started trialling Panda Cloud antivirus on a few machines...it runs fine alongside AVG.

No problems whatsover.

I run a great deal of software that is old but still fit for purpose. All of it runs just fine on XP. I haven't had a automatic updates from MS EVER...but XP still hasn't fallen over.

SO...I have no idea what, if any, impact will come from MS ceasing to support XP.

I am guessing none...but please correct me if you are more knowledgeable on the topic...

^ First you complain about not being able to use ps6 with w7, then you say it was far too complex for you ??? I would like to challenge all you fossils saying how bad w7 is to be more specific in your complaints comparing xp to w7. Come on lets have some concrete examples/problems instead of your lame non-existent arguments about upgrading to a much better operating system. Maybe the world should never advance computing because you are unable to learn something new.

I wasn't complaining at all. I accept that with the advance of technology, certain programs might not work with new computer systems. Adobe have come out with new software that does work with the latest systems but Photoshop 6 is still arguably the best of the bunch and it's a pity that Adobe didn't create an upgrade option.

For my simple needs, Photoshop is far too complex. I actually bought the Photoshop 6 for Windows Bible to better explain the numerous functions of the program.

If that makes me a "fossil" then so be it.

I was extremely happy with XP and I'm extremely happy with W7. I don't own a tablet so I can't see any need to buy W8.

It's not a matter of "learning something new" it's a matter of computing to your needs. If you don't need it, don't buy it.

You think so? Until yesterday I had automatic updates on. I don't know what happened but after an update and restart my screen came up up in the lowest resolution with the lowest colours. I couldn't resize any window at all l and even when I changed the resolution via the desktop properties it wouldn't accept it. Thank god I had the original drivers on disc and after a reload it woke up OK. Windows update is turned off now, permanently. If they haven't got it right thus far then I'm not bothered. And anyway, many of the updates are for IE and I don't ever use it. Nor MS Office.

You think so? Until yesterday I had automatic updates on. I don't know what happened but after an update and restart my screen came up up in the lowest resolution with the lowest colours. I couldn't resize any window at all l and even when I changed the resolution via the desktop properties it wouldn't accept it. Thank god I had the original drivers on disc and after a reload it woke up OK. Windows update is turned off now, permanently. If they haven't got it right thus far then I'm not bothered. And anyway, many of the updates are for IE and I don't ever use it. Nor MS Office.

Whether you use IE or not, it's still installed and it still has vulnerabilities.

There was a problem with one of this month's updates, which they've fixed.

I would turn updates on but download, not automatically install, and then do them a week later when reports like this have not surfaced....

http://www.cio.in/news/microsoft-urges-windows-7-users-uninstall-blue-screen-death-patch-394142013

But I would *never* leave a Windows machine unpatched.

Whether you use IE or not, it's still installed and it still has vulnerabilities.

I would turn updates on but download, not automatically install, and then do them a week later when reports like this have not surfaced....

http://www.cio.in/news/microsoft-urges-windows-7-users-uninstall-blue-screen-death-patch-394142013

Well I have done it on a half dozen or so machines for more than a decade. In that time, using those machines, I made enough profit to retire in my forties. Tell me again what I did that was not so smart...oh wise one...

Well I have done it on a half dozen or so machines for more than a decade. In that time, using those machines, I made enough profit to retire in my forties. Tell me again what I did that was not so smart...oh wise one...

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I have no interest in what you have got away with, I'm simply saying I would not do it. The risks are well documented.