Outbound Bangkok Trains, Bus Terminals Crowded By Songkran Exodus

webfact

Folk heading to Chiang Mai & the north, remember to wear a "smog" mask. also remember to wrap it in plastic to stop the paper filter getting wet wink.png

Disclaimer: don't blame me if this leads to suffocation laugh.png[/quot

Even when there is smog in CM the air is still better than BKK at any time of the year.

I seriously doubt that.

www.aqmthai.com

In serious need of rain. Visibility in mornings less than 500m

Absolute Hogwash... I drive every day from Mae Jo into town & this past week haven't experienced anything to substantiate your unfounded drivel. I was in BKK for the entire month of March and the heat and smog was ridiculous. I also lived in Southern California throughout the Seventies and Eighties and being in Chiang Mai these past 10 days doesn't hold a candle to the horrendous crap I had to endure in Bangkok last month nor my time in Southern California with the strict "Clean Air" laws. You must be hallucinating from the smog and heat!

Thank goodness they are all leaving, sooner the better.

And to those who find the holiday unbearable and cumbersome, I suggest you move to Singapore. This country is Thailand and meant for all they stand for which includes Songkran and all that comes with it. What's the old saying?... "Love it or leave it".

I have government business to attend to on 12th April (today). I'd just like to offer my thanks to those who suddenly declared it a holiday making that business impossible. A little notice would have been nice.

Thank heavens mother has said we do not have to go to Issan this year due to the heat smile.png

I would hate to have to journey in this and I do feel for all those queueing at the terminals and the extra length of travel time needed to get home.

But ..... Happy Holidays to all and a safe journey.

Heat.... it is cool and rainy. If you set off now......... biggrin.png

I tried to outsmart the New Years holiday traffic and go at a different time. Big mistake. I still was locked up in traffic for hours.

Is it hard to get hotel rooms in BKK during Sonkran? Or is the place empty? I've just decided at the last minute to jump on the bike and head there tomorrow. Been here 6 years and never spent SK in BKK. Everywhere else though, including Cambodia.

I would say the hotels would be a bit more occupied because the people leaving Bangkok wouldn't be staying in a hotel here.

Edited by Markaew

Is it hard to get hotel rooms in BKK during Sonkran? Or is the place empty? I've just decided at the last minute to jump on the bike and head there tomorrow. Been here 6 years and never spent SK in BKK. Everywhere else though, including Cambodia.

I would say the hotels would be a bit more occupied because the people leaving Bangkok wouldn't be staying in a hotel here.
Putting aside the lemming like exodus of "Thais" at the moment, I was wondering if there was a corresponding influx of "foreigners" from overseas at this time, seeing as it's a major tourist draw.

But thanks for the failed attempt at humour anyway.

I've decided to give it a miss anyway.

Edited by Fullstop

Thank heavens mother has said we do not have to go to Issan this year due to the heat smile.png

I would hate to have to journey in this and I do feel for all those queueing at the terminals and the extra length of travel time needed to get home.

But ..... Happy Holidays to all and a safe journey.

Are you seriously telling us that you are under your mother-in-law's thumb? Surely it's up to you whether you go up there.

Outbound Bangkok trains, bus terminals crowded by Songkran exodus

Strange that, I remember the same thing happened last year and the year before that, and the year before that........zzzzzzzzz:coffee1:

It's a necessary evil. Each year a new set of people are born so it has to be repeated every year. On the bright side, all of us "been there done that" types can experience a momentary warmth of smugness.

Edited by Fullstop

Outbound Bangkok trains, bus terminals crowded by Songkran exodus

Strange that, I remember the same thing happened last year and the year before that, and the year before that........zzzzzzzzz:coffee1:

It's a necessary evil. Each year a new set of people are born so it has to be repeated every year. On the bright side, all of us "been there done that" types can experience a momentary warmth of smugness.

Hey, glad I could make your day worthwhile today. smile.png

Edited by Payboy

Putting aside the lemming like exodus of "Thais" at the moment, I was wondering if there was a corresponding influx of "foreigners" from overseas at this time, seeing as it's a major tourist draw.

But thanks for the failed attempt at humour anyway.

I've decided to give it a miss anyway.

I fully concur. If you enjoy Songkran as I do and you have a chance to experience it in a different location, then absolutely go for it.