Phuket Gets Thailand's Newest Planetarium

webfact

Phuket gets Thailand's newest planetarium

PHUKET: -- The latest generation of cinema, with a screen in the shape of a dome, giving a 360-degree “immersive” experience has opened at Central Festival – the first of its kind in Thailand.

The Evolution Cinema Planetarium opened on Tuesday (April 9) in the plaza at Central, near Starbucks.

Project director Sergei Kovalev and manager Chanapa “Cookie” Jiso explained that the hi-tech planetarium can be used for presenting education in an entertaining and absorbing way.

“We have movies for students of different ages to educate them about the universe, the stars of the planets. Many schools are already interested in our project because it is a different kind of learning for students.”

Titles include Kaluoka’hina, an animated cartoon set underwater; Realm of Light, about the history of the Universe from the Big Bang to the present; Natural Selection, an animated cartoon about Charles Darwin and the evolution of species; Dawn of the Space Age, a history of human space exploration; and Starry Tale, an animated cartoon about the constellations and ancient beliefs tied to them.

Audiences – the planetarium can hold up to 38 at a time – lie back in reclining seats so that they can see the entire surface of the dome. The movies vary in length from 25 to 43 minutes.

All the movies come with English and Russian soundtracks, and Kaluoka’hina, Realm of Light and Starry Tale are also available in Thai. The soundtrack chosen will depend on the composition of the audience.

Planetariums have been around since 1923 when the first projector was turned on in the Deutsches Museum in Munich, Germany, with lights projecting stars onto the ceiling and the planets running on circular rails.

But modern technology now makes it possible to project just about anything onto the inside of the dome.

Prices for the Evolution Cinema Planetarium range from B10 for under-fives to B520 for “gold” seats for adults.

The programme begins every day at 11:45 am, with the last show at 10:10 pm.

For more details the website is www.racinema.com. For group bookings call 091 654 5916

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-gets-thailand%E2%80%99s-newest-planetarium-video-38558.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-11

They might want to rethink their pricing. 500 baht for a 30 minute show seems a bit OTT. When I was back in the west for a holiday, I went to a huge Imax 360 screen and caught a movie about the international space station with narration by Leonardo DiCaprio and it didn't cost as much.

That having been said, I'm sure if they promote it right they will generate some decent revenue and hopefully educate some kids.

They might want to rethink their pricing. 500 baht for a 30 minute show seems a bit OTT. When I was back in the west for a holiday, I went to a huge Imax 360 screen and caught a movie about the international space station with narration by Leonardo DiCaprio and it didn't cost as much.

That having been said, I'm sure if they promote it right they will generate some decent revenue and hopefully educate some kids.

I agree - our planetarium back home charges the equivalent of 150 baht - it's a very affordable and entertaining way to kill a spare hour.