Chalerm Makes Low-Key Trip To Thailand's South

webfact

Chalerm makes low-key trip to Thailand's South
By English News

13656740153068.jpg

BANGKOK, April 11 – Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung quietly flew to the southern province of Pattani today for an overnight inspection of the situation.

Accompanied by National Police chief Adul Saengsingkaew, he arrived at the Royal Thai Air Force’s Bothong Airport in Narathiwat and went directly to nearby Suwannakorn temple to attend the funeral of two army officers who were killed early this morning in a roadside explosion set by militants.

He later visited Sirindhorn army camp in the province to be briefed on the insurgency situation and went to the Police Operations Centre for the Southern Provinces in neighbouring Yala province.

Mr Chalerm has been criticised for refusing to visit the South despite heavier attacks on government forces in the last few months. He admitted earlier that he felt uncomfortable after the premier assigned him to take charge of the South.

Defence Minister Sukumpol Suwanatat said southern violence has escalated since the Thai authorities sat down for peace talks with Muslim militant leaders.

Those opposed to the peace dialogues are showing their prowess but security authorities will go ahead with the peace talks, he said.

“We are on the right path though the road might be bumpy. Those who are harsh to us will be dealt with,” he asserted.

Meanwhile, army commander-in-chief Prayuth Chan-ocha said the prime minister telephoned to express her condolences for the deaths of two soldiers in a series of attacks and bombings by insurgents from late last night to early this morning.

The two army officers, Lt Reungrit Photisa and Sgt Maj Sanchai Sophawang, were killed as they went in armoured vehicles to reinforce a defence volunteer unit under attack but their vehicles were destroyed by insurgent-detonated explosions. Five rangers were wounded.

Gen Prayuth said Thailand’s far South is plagued with numerous illegal activities in addition to terrorism. Contraband goods and drug smuggling is rampant and smugglers have tended to support the insurgency. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-11

Thats probably true,

You use the tool that your have,

not the ones you wish you had.

and he's what we got.

and more will die if nothing is done.

He made the trip,

Lets see what he can do.

I give him props for at least getting off his butt.

But there's a LONG way to go.

Flack jacket tin hat and brown trou could be the dress of choice.

But at least he has gone which must confound all those who never said he would.

How much good the trip will actually do is another thing.

Never had much faith myself in short "fact finding" trips by authority.

Accompanied by National Police chief Adul Saengsingkaew, he arrived at the Royal Thai Air Force’s Bothong Airport in Narathiwat and went directly to nearby Suwannakorn temple to attend the funeral of two army officers who were killed early this morning in a roadside explosion set by militants.

you can say what you want about him but that was a good move.

Why such a low key visit

Answer

He intended on doing nothing.

In and out so he can stagger around parliament with an earful saying I webnt to the deep south. If questioned he will be able to say speak up I can't hear you my ears are full.

• Like 1

"Chalerm makes low-key trip to Thailand's South" and we can expect even lower productivity from it.

I don't in any way want to belittle the soldiers that died and I think it was just a really bad move on Chalerm's part to attend the funerals. There is no possible way that it can help resolve the problems and it will probably cause even more violence in revenge for his action.

Probably the best way for Chalerm to help resolve the situation in the south would be in the form of his resignation.

Edited by Scott
Font
  • Like 1

"Chalerm makes low-key trip to Thailand's South" and we can expect even lower productivity from it.

I don't in any way want to belittle the soldiers that died and I think it was just a really bad move on Chalerm's part to attend the funerals. There is no possible way that it can help resolve the problems and it will probably cause even more violence in revenge for his action.

Probably the best way for Chalerm to help resolve the situation in the south would be in the form of his resignation.

So what exactly did Chalerm wrong when he attended that funeral?

was the PM also wrong with expressing her condolences?

• Like 1

Darn !!!!! I had posted before that he would never set foot in the south due to flying grenades. I had not really thought about a stealth trip on the quiet. Pretty clever actually, as he can now say he went down there, but he was not really at risk since no one knew he was coming...

So what exactly did Chalerm wrong when he attended that funeral?

was the PM also wrong with expressing her condolences?

If you have to ask about Chalerm then you will never understand.

you can say what you want about him but that was a good move.

It was a good politcal PR move - sure. He can now say he's been to the South, and shown empathy and compassion to murdered officers. I'm sure their families will take great comfort.

I read that the South has unusually high financial transactions.......... and then that DPM Pol. Capt, Chalerm suddenly and quietly makes his first visit. Just coincidnece................. coffee1.gif

The Mrs has just told m that he took his cop son with him as a body guard, fully armed of course.

It seems there is a photo on facebook, don't play on it myself so someone else will have to find it and post it for us all to see.

The Mrs has just told m that he took his cop son with him as a body guard, fully armed of course.

It seems there is a photo on facebook, don't play on it myself so someone else will have to find it and post it for us all to see.

Yes, there's an article and photo in naewna news of son, Duang, in his all black tactical uniform brandishing an automatic assault weapon while walking alongside Dad, but not allowed to link or post the photo.

Yes, there's an article and photo in naewna news of son, Duang, in his all black tactical uniform brandishing an automatic assault weapon while walking alongside Dad, but not allowed to link or post the photo.

Didn't he take the other son? the toilet facilities down there must be awful.

• Like 1

Didn't he take the other son? the toilet facilities down there must be awful.

I assume you know why you're not supposed to use your left hand when eating?

• Like 1

It was a good politcal PR move - sure. He can now say he's been to the South, and shown empathy and compassion to murdered officers. I'm sure their families will take great comfort.

I read that the South has unusually high financial transactions.......... and then that DPM Pol. Capt, Chalerm suddenly and quietly makes his first visit. Just coincidnece................. coffee1.gif

Yes, the family of the policeman his son/bodyguard murdered must me truly elated to see that PoS grinning along dad with his big gun.

No wonder the Lerm has kept mum about a certain coloured shirt wearing mob 3 years ago... Edited by GrantSmith