Thailand: Reckless Drivers Endanger Lives As A Matter Of Course

webfact

Reckless drivers endanger lives as a matter of course
Ridwan Quaium,
Kunnawee Kanitpong
Special to The Nation

30203909-01_big.jpg
Onlookers examine the wreck of a crashed bus on an upcountry highway, an all-too-familiar sight in Thailand, especially during holiday periods.

BANGKOK: -- Shocking results have been revealed in a joint research study conducted last year by the Thailand Accident Research Centre (Tarc) at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) and the Thai Roads Foundation. The study, which was partly funded by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, found that at least 53 per cent of vans and at least 67 per cent of buses regularly drive over the speed limit on highways and motorways in Thailand.

Speed surveys of buses and vans were carried out quarterly in 2012 on four major national roads (highways 1, 34, 35 and 338) and on one motorway (Motorway Highway 7). It was found that 55 per cent of vans on fixed routes exceed the speed limit with regularity, as do 53 per cent of vans on non-fixed routes,67 per cent of buss on fixed routes, and 81 per cent of buses on non-fixed routes.

Driving over the speed limit results in a higher risk of a crash or severe accident. As the speed of the vehicle increases, the driver tends to have less control over the vehicle, and the chances of taking evasive action decreases as well. The effect of a collision that a vehicle travelling at higher speed incurs is much higher than the effect of collision at a lower speed. The severity of injury greatly increases as the impact of the collision increases.

The speeding habit of bus and van drivers is a serious threat to public safety on the roads, and this threat is exacerbated with the Songkran holiday upon us. Public transport is the common mode of transport for inter-city travel in Thailand, and 87 per cent of people who use public transport to travel back to their home provinces duting the holida normally use either buses or vans running on fixed and non-fixed routes.

Road accidents are a leading cause of death in Thailand, and speeding has been identified as a key contributing factor for road accidents in the country. What is more worrying is that road accidents in Thailand are most evident during the traditional Songkran holiday season and the New Year holiday. The Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand (EMIT) states that the total number of people who died or were injured due to road traffic accidents over the Songkran holiday last year, in a span of just seven days between April 11 and 17, was 27,881.

Travelling by bus or van cannot be considered safe at any time of the year in Thailand, especially during the Songkran holiday. Since road transport is the only major way of getting to most places in Thailand, people have no other choice but to use unsafe buses and vans. Travelling upcountry can mean risking one's life because of reckless drivers.

It is important to mention that besides speeding, there are other reasons why travelling by some of these vans and buses may be unsafe.

Vans: To avoid frequent stops at gas stations, many passenger vans have added extra gas cylinders. When fully loaded with passengers and gas, these vans can weigh about 3,500 kilograms, which is 1.75 times more than the allowed weight limit of 2,000 kilograms. The extra weight makes the vans highly unstable and unsafe, which increases the chance of an accident.

Double-decker buses: These are used as charter tour buses and also on fixed routes. Investigators in many accidents caused by or involving double-decker buses have found that these buses, which should have a maximum height of 3.5 metre, are at times up to 5 metres in height. The extra height weakens the superstructure of the bus, making the bus unstable and prone to roll over, which is why such accidents involving double-decker buses in Thailand are quite common. To prevent such accidents, Thailand has been planning to implement the UNECE Regulation No. R66, which will make it mandatory for buses to go through a test for the strength of the superstructure.

Concerned stakeholders must take action now to reduce the number of road accidents in Thailand. Since this year's holiday has already begun, nothing drastic can be done such as weighing vans or testing the strength of double-decker buses. However, some preventative measures can still be taken to at least minimise the number of road traffic accidents during this holiday season. The police must strictly enforce the speed limit and other traffic laws, and clamp down hard on drunk driving, to ensure that Thais as well as foreigners are able to reach their destinations safely and enjoy the water festival with joy and happiness. Passengers can also take part by politely encouraging drivers to slow down and follow the rules - although this may be asking too much.

Ridwan Quaium is a research associate at the Transportation Engineering and Thailand Accident Research Centre, the Asian Institute of Technology.

Dr KunnaweeKanitpong is an associate professor at the School of Engineering and Technology and manager of the Thailand Accident Research Centre, the Asian Institute of Technology.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-12

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Driving over the speed limit results in a higher risk of a crash or severe accident. As the speed of the vehicle increases, the driver tends to have less control over the vehicle, and the chances of taking evasive action decreases as well. The effect of a collision that a vehicle travelling at higher speed incurs is much higher than the effect of collision at a lower speed. The severity of injury greatly increases as the impact of the collision increases."

NEVER!!!

On a serious point. A small step in the right direction would be to have chevrons painted on the road, showing approximately how far away you need to be from the car in front, in case of an emergency braking incident. I know not many people would use them ( & if people did then someone would pull in front of them), but I don't believe people have a clue about safe braking distances & may make a few people think!

Assuming they are capable of thought.

• Like 2

The way to correct all these problems is start a proper system of learning to drive and then passing proper tests, both written and driving and don't give anyone a licence until everything is satisfactorily completed as it would be in the West. Drivers of Public Bus's and Heavy Goods should be subject to a higher level of testing before they can receive the appropriate license to drive those classes of vehicles. Tachograph systems should also be used on Heavy Goods and Public Service Vehicles to prevent bad driving and longer working hours than the law would define.

Sadly; and it is sad for a so called 'developing country', we all know such sensibility here will not occur in our lifetime unless 'sensible' people start running the country. Can't see that anywhere on the horizon at the present time as all parties are just not interested in the least about such matters as there is 'no profit in it'. You know the old saying...'If things don't change...they will stay the same' !

• Like 2

I thought the wheels falling off was the main cause of these minivan and bus accidents. Normally after an accident the driver runs off and turns up in a few days where he states, that either the wheel fell off or a tyre blew out. The BIB normally accept this and the driver is back at work that afternoon.

• Like 1

Tests and public safety announcements will do about as much to curb reckless driving as pictures of cancer patients on cigarette packs has done to curb smoking. Fines and jail. That's the only thing that people will pay attention to. Not just in Thailand, but the whole world. Well, except for places like Sweden and Germany.

until we see the police enforcing the rules(not taking bribes) and people actually having to learn to drive(has anyone ever seen an L plate driver here) and having to pass a set driving test and answer rules questions as well this will never change. Thai drivers have no idea of road rules, they do not know what the lines on a road(or parking area) mean and speed limits, indicators etc are simply not even considered by them. Thet cannot drive at night, have no idea how to judge distance between cars etc(need at least 2 metres to overtake anything) and will not stay in their own lanes(especially when on their phone), it is simply a joke. Every second motorbike/car driver has a phone stuck to their ear, why they do not make this illegal or enforce not doing it is beyond me, drivers think loss of face is more important than the road rules, they have to know that their car is faster than yours but only on straight roads, they have no idea how to go around a corner at any speed over crawling pace. What THailand needs is for road rules to be enforced full stop, police cars patrolling roads and pulling up drivers, speed limiters on any paid passenger vehicle set at 100k and the biggie, decent bloody roads, not the cheap arse things they have now, they need to be built properly without all the profit going into someones elses pocket instead of using the correct materials and procedures.

• Like 1

" ... The extra height weakens the superstructure of the bus, making the bus unstable and prone to roll over, which is why such accidents involving double-decker buses in Thailand are quite common ... " How many people on this forum realise that the bus superstructures made in Thailand are created from wood? All those lovely curves, minimalism at its worst and least safe, are formed from wooden struts.

For proof, visit a coachbuilder. I did.

• Like 1

Me first ! Me first !

pigs arse, I already flashed my lights whilst doing 120kph down the wrong side of the road so get out of my way scum. Don't you realise a Merc trumps a vios?

No German made car tumps my car when I am driving :)

The way to correct all these problems is start a proper system of learning to drive and then passing proper tests, both written and driving and don't give anyone a licence until everything is satisfactorily completed as it would be in the West. Drivers of Public Bus's and Heavy Goods should be subject to a higher level of testing before they can receive the appropriate license to drive those classes of vehicles. Tachograph systems should also be used on Heavy Goods and Public Service Vehicles to prevent bad driving and longer working hours than the law would define.

Sadly; and it is sad for a so called 'developing country', we all know such sensibility here will not occur in our lifetime unless 'sensible' people start running the country. Can't see that anywhere on the horizon at the present time as all parties are just not interested in the least about such matters as there is 'no profit in it'. You know the old saying...'If things don't change...they will stay the same' !

Who had the cheek to call it a 'developing country'? It has a BTS and the internet: First World - QED. If you're Thai. 'Hahahaha' if you're not Thai.

Me first ! Me first !

pigs arse, I already flashed my lights whilst doing 120kph down the wrong side of the road so get out of my way scum. Don't you realise a Merc trumps a vios?

But, but, I've a child-in-car sticker ! :(