39 Road Deaths On First Day Of Songkran's Seven Dangerous Days

Lite Beer

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 in one day is less than the daily average for the year.

Approx 20,000 / 365 = 54 per day.

Actually the average is about 70 per day according to Thailands own traffic minister.

I for one don't believe the 'official' figure of 39 at all. A friend of wifeys works in the Highway Police and just smiles that Thai smile when we talk about driving here and says well over a hundred die everyday.

Seriously, how come the news stories never make any mention of the regular daily average number of road deaths throughout the year?

Wikipedia lists Thailand at 19.6 annual road deaths per 100,000 people.

If we use their population estimate for 2011 of 66,720,153 people. That gives...

66,720,153 x 19.6 /100,000 = 13,077 per year/365 = 35.8 road deaths per day on average.

which would put the first day of Songkran only 3 over par for the course.

Actually the average is about 70 per day according to Thailands own traffic minister.

I for one don't believe the 'official' figure of 39 at all. A friend of wifeys works in the Highway Police and just smiles that Thai smile when we talk about driving here and says well over a hundred die everyday.

Probably true because they do not officially count it as a death unless you die on the day of the accident if a person dies the next day it is not counted.

And we are off to a roaring start. Every year it is the same. Lack of law enforcement is the biggest problem. The police should be held accountable for their complete lack of interest in enforcing laws that are on the books.

Police should be held accountable? Are you awake? There are more then 12 million people in Bkk alone. How many cops do you think there are? <deleted> do YOU think the police should do? People like me stock up on beer before the ban. Come on let's here your suggestions to save everyone from being idiots, getting drunk and driving?

• Like 1

Isn't it strange to see TAT figures always inflated--Swampy the same.

Road deaths reported, malipulated figures.

All this booze and frolicking on the streets more cars on the roads, but the deaths lower than the normal daily figures. some bull coming from somewhere.

After Songkran Yingluck will declare it a total succsess, as last year.sad.png

Probably she will... just to say "something". Not any government in TH is worth the name "government" ; bunch of uneducated and corrupt clowns.... And they count themselves between the "smart" Asian countriesd !? My oh my.....

• Like 1

Much to my dismay I have to make a run from Chiang Mai down to Sukhothai tomorrow, were it not for a death in the family I'd be safely tucked up in my condo for the duration. So this morning I made a short run down to the supermarket to buy some bits and pieces, during that seven minute run through Watkate at 9:00am a drunk old man on his bicycle ran into the side of my new pickup and another drunk on a motorbike/sidecar fell off his machine in front of me and I had all on not to run him over! So, based on this mornings encounters, the next few days might prove to be a challenge. For those of you who have never been, rural Sukhothai province is a challege at the best of times with many rural farmers totally blasted most nights after 6pm, god only knows what it'll be like during the holiday!

Best of luck !

And we are off to a roaring start. Every year it is the same. Lack of law enforcement is the biggest problem. The police should be held accountable for their complete lack of interest in enforcing laws that are on the books.

Although i can't say i am a big fan of the police, they don't force these people to drink or ram drugs down them, and it's the drivers who put their feet hard on the gas pedal, overtake on bends, into the face of incoming traffic, pull out without looking, drive long hours over great distances. The police can't be held responsible for low IQ 's or stupidity either.

• Like 1

And what's your point? That on each and every day, 54 people are killed? Duh! I am not great at maths but even I understand averages.

Much to my dismay I have to make a run from Chiang Mai down to Sukhothai tomorrow, were it not for a death in the family I'd be safely tucked up in my condo for the duration. So this morning I made a short run down to the supermarket to buy some bits and pieces, during that seven minute run through Watkate at 9:00am a drunk old man on his bicycle ran into the side of my new pickup and another drunk on a motorbike/sidecar fell off his machine in front of me and I had all on not to run him over! So, based on this mornings encounters, the next few days might prove to be a challenge. For those of you who have never been, rural Sukhothai province is a challege at the best of times with many rural farmers totally blasted most nights after 6pm, god only knows what it'll be like during the holiday!

Holy molly!

I just went out on the motorbike to collect a few beers, bbq chicken and hit the ATM, and the main road through my normally pretty quiet berg was heavy traffic and folks driving everywhere, on the wrong side of the road (which is normal I guess). Yep, stayin' in the next few days, glad my 30 visa stamp appt in Korat isn't until 23rd.

could happen anywhere.

Yes it could ...

but add all the factors and the odds of it happening in Thailand go up

- Massive drunk driving

- 3 bazooka joe cartoons and you get a license

- rarely use seat belts

- 10 people sitting in the back of a pick up truck

- drive mopeds without a helmet

on and on

and on and on

And its not just the 'mao' drivers!! Kids - and everyone else! - run out into the roads to get you! Too much trouble for the 'law' to actually try to curtail the madness of it all! Surprised they're not all out in their Songkran flowery shirts hosing down passing motorcyclists along with everyone else - or are they? My (Thai) lady headed north to look after mum before all the yearly shenanighans started.. first time I took a chance and went out on the scooterwent out to get a few supplies in, splash bang wallop.. like running the gauntlet, no less!! Tried to sneak out today too, but got only as far as the local 'village' before I got soaked to the bone and had to turn back! Feel pretty much penned in now and have told m'lady not to even think of trying to drive back till the roads/ streets are 'clear' again!!

Seriously, how come the news stories never make any mention of the regular daily average number of road deaths throughout the year?

Wikipedia lists Thailand at 19.6 annual road deaths per 100,000 people.

If we use their population estimate for 2011 of 66,720,153 people. That gives...

66,720,153 x 19.6 /100,000 = 13,077 per year/365 = 35.8 road deaths per day on average.

which would put the first day of Songkran only 3 over par for the course.

Try 38/100K and you are nearer.WHO figures

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626230-road-tolls-in-thailand-among-highest-in-the-world/page-5?hl=%2B26000#entry6214448

I've already been asked where I'm going for the "celebration" Answer U Ban. The enjoyment wore off just as soon as the local put the stinging stuff in the water.. Thais v Darwin. It's an away win every year.