Thailand Sails Smoothly Through Power Challenge

Lite Beer

Thailand sails smoothly through power challenge
By Digital Media

13659255168125-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Apr 14 – The eight-day maintenance of a natural gas platform in Myanmar, one of the main energy sources for Thailand’s electricity production, was accomplished Friday without any hiccups in the power supply to the kingdom, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) reported today.

EGAT Governor Suthas Pattamasiriwat said the Yanada platform was originally scheduled to suspend its supply from Apr 5-13 but maintenance was completed a day earlier and natural gas was released to Thailand on Friday at 8.35 pm.

Power generating plants which changed to diesel and bunker oil during the maintenance switched back to natural gas on Saturday evening, he said.

An additional 88.22 million litres of bunker oil and 38.8 million litres of diesel was consumed during the period.

The electricity situation during the eight-day maintenance went smoothly without any power outages, thanks to the people’s power-saving cooperation and lower temperatures, he said.

The temperature slightly dropped during the final three crucial days, Mr Suthas said.
Power consumption and average temperature were: on April 5 24,955.30 MW with temperature of 37.5 degrees Celsius; on April 9 at 25,226.30 MW, 38.9 degrees Celsius; and on April 10 at 24,688.38 MW, 36.0 degrees Celsius. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-14

I'm pleased they averted disaster, we only had 2 outages right at transition times, not as bad as I was bracing for.

So, OK, whew! Now, Mr. Minister. Kindly direct staff to label the plan "Power Continuity Plan for Myanmar's Annual Maintenance" (PCP4MAM) and file it in a clearly marked cabinet for March 2014, roughly 11 months from now.

Not that I mean to rob anyone of an opportunity to shine in a crisis, always good for the proficiency report. thumbsup.gif

We had one here (outside Korat) between 2330-0000 on the eve of transition and one, actually 2, last night (Saturday), but probably not associated if the transition occurred on Friday.

I expected more blips, pleased it didn't turn out that way, and you've reminded me to look into UPS as even normal, quick on/offs play hell with compressors and computers. Do you have a whole house unit or individual UPS on selected equipment?

The electricity situation during the eight-day maintenance went smoothly without any power outages,

Really ?

So the 3 different days of 2 hours each time with No power had nothing to do with this ??

You weren't supposed to notice that.