No Activity At Thai-Cambodian Border

webfact

ICJ HEARING
No activity at Thai-Cambodian border

The Nation

30204069-01_big.jpg
A photo dated October 19, 2008 shows a Cambodian soldier stands guard at Preah Vihear temple near Cambodian-Thai border in Preah Vihear province, Cambodia. EPA/MAK REMISSA

SI SA KET: -- Traffic to Preah Vihear was closed at Lam Huay Dan Bridge, in Si Sa Ket's Phumsrol village, ahead of the hearings on the Hindu temple at the International Court of Justice on Monday.

Soldiers stationed at the bridge set up a checkpoint to screen people and vehicles entering the area.

Non-residents were not allowed to enter the Phra Viharn National Park, which is adjacent to the Preah Vihear temple ruin.

The road to Mor E-Dang Cliff, a scenic overlook near the trail to Preah Vihear Temple, has been closed since April 6.

Silence rules in villages located near the Thai-Cambodian border, without the Songkran festival celebration.

Banyong Tangsook, chief of Phumsrol village, said that all villagers have remained calm, ahead of the hearing.

The hearing will start today through April 19, following Cambodia’s request for the ICJ’s interpretation of the 1962 ruling concerning a plot of land adjacent to the temple. Cambodia will testify today, starting from 3pm. Thailand’s testimony is scheduled for Wednesday, April 17.

Channel 3 reported on Monday that some villagers, living within the trajectory, have prepared necessary items and are ready to flee home should any clash happen.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-15

Security tightened at Thai-Cambodia border as first oral statement on Preah Vihear dispute begins
By Digital Media

13660191749666.png

SI SA KET, April 15 - Security has been tightened on the Thai-Cambodian border as Cambodia began giving first oral statement on the Phra Viharn (Preah Vihear) temple dispute at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) today.

Although, the overall situation at the border remains calm, Thai border patrol police and soldiers from the Suranaree Task force stepped up security measures and set up a checkpoint near the entrance of Khao Phra Wihan National Park following reports of possible protests by some groups of activists.

The measures came amid fears that there might be possible clashes between protesters and local residents who oppose to the move.

A group calling itself "Kamlung Pandin", led by Kittisak Ponpai said they will rally on Wednesday in Kantaralak district.

Khao Phra Viharn National Park is temporarily closed during this period.

In Kantaralak district, the situation is normal. Local residents are living their lives normally enjoying the traditional Thai new year celebrations.

Isaya Pongsapan, a resident of Saothongchai sub-district, said the villagers are prepared for evacuation in case of emergency and that they have closely monitored the situation and news as the issue does impact them.

In Thailand's Sa Kaeo province, also adjacent to Cambodia, 70 per cent of shops in the Rong Klua Market in Aranyaprathet district were closed today as most of them, run by Cambodian traders, enjoyed their holidays across the border in their traditional Khmer New Year celebrations.

Thousands of Thai and international tourists on the Thai side were disappointed with the shop closures.

A Cambodian trader who operates his shop in the market said a large number of Cambodian traders close their businesses during this period due to the new year holiday, while some also are staying at home monitoring the oral statements in the Phra Viharn temple dispute. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-15

Surely being as the two involved sovereign states are pursuing the matter within the legal framework of the I.C.J. there should be no reason or reasons at all for any physical disputes as according to the two parties they are going to settle the matter like officers of the state should do in a nice clean political manner..

Remember of course as maddas has already stated in post # 6 it is not a matter that will be dealt with and judgment passed as it would be in a summary court.

There will much pontificating and consultation of law books and old treaties along with assorted points of international and national laws and consultations of many sorts prior to that judgment being pronounced.

I am of the opinion the neither of the two parties actually realise the complexity of this matter.

Possibly when the verdict is announced in the near or distant future then maybe we shall see the true qualities of these officers of state if the verdict doesn't go their way.

Edited by siampolee

Surely being as the two involved sovereign states are pursuing the matter within the legal framework of the I.C.J. there should be no reason or reasons at all for any physical disputes as according to the two parties they are going to settle the matter like officers of the state should do in a nice clean political manner..

remember of course as maddas has already stated in post # 6 it is not a matter that will be dealt with and judgment passed as it would be in a summary court.

There will much pontificating and consultation of law books and old treaties along with assorted points of international and national laws and consultations of many sorts prior to that judgment being pronounced.

I am of the opinion the neither of the two parties actually realise the complexity of this matter.

Possibly when the verdict is announced in the near or distance future then maybe we shall see the true qualities of these officers of state if the verdict doesn't go their way.

I can't speak for the Cambodian side, but I certainly believe that the Thai side has little understanding of how considered any decision will be.

• Like 2

If the ICJ rules against Thailand will the decision be accepted by Thailand? Same question for Cambodia.

If the decision goes against Cambodia, it just stays disputed territory, so I don't think they'll have a big problem.

remember of course as maddas has already stated in post # 6 it is not a matter that will be dealt with and judgment passed as it would be in a summary court.

Possibly when the verdict is announced in the near or distance future then maybe we shall see the true qualities of these officers of state if the verdict doesn't go their way.

I can't speak for the Cambodian side, but I certainly believe that the Thai side has little understanding of how considered any decision will be.

It will come down to the usual Thai political mentality of rule for us and it's right, rule against us and it's wrong. Acceptance, no matter how reluctantly, rarely applies

• Like 1

UPDATE
WORLD COURT'S FINAL PUBLIC HEARING
Still quiet on Thai-Cambodian border

The Nation

SI SA KET: -- The national park next to the Preah Vihear Temple was closed to traffic in Phumsrol, a border village of Si Sa Ket, before yesterday's hearing of the International Court of Justice into the World Heritage Site's territorial status.

At the checkpoint set up at Lam Huay Dan Bridge, about 10 kilometres from the Hindu temple, regulations were strictly enforced.

For national security, no one without business in the area, including the media, is allowed to get near Khao Phra Wihan National Park.

Permission to pass was granted only to locals whose farms were located near the park bordering the temple ruins.

Soldiers dispatched from Nakhon Ratchasima were ordered to guard the checkpoint around the clock, on reports that several groups of Thais - red shirts, yellow shirts and some farmers - plan to gather near the area soon.

The road to Mor E-Dang Cliff, a scenic viewpoint near the trail to the temple, has been closed since April 6.

Silence largely prevailed in the border villages, with some people still celebrating the Songkran festival, as the locals closely monitored developments near home.

Banyong Tangsook, headman of Phumsrol village, said all residents had remained calm ahead of the proceedings, which run from yesterday to Friday.

However, some people living within range of rockets or artillery made preparations to evacuate their homes if clashes broke out, TV Channel 3 reported on Monday.

Cambodia had requested the World Court's interpretation of its 1962 ruling concerning a disputed section of land adjacent to the temple.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-16

As cheif Thaksin hater, I'll give Peua Thai their due, I'll think they'll be reasonably pragmatic about an adverse decison. The Dems, or certain sections of them, will go balastic if the decision went the wrong way.

As cheif Thaksin hater, I'll give Peua Thai their due, I'll think they'll be reasonably pragmatic about an adverse decison. The Dems, or certain sections of them, will go balastic if the decision went the wrong way.

I am not sure about the dems as a whole, but sections of them and the pad will go bonkers.

They are a law unto themselves when it comes to nationalistic issues. Remember the senator talking about the possibility that the judges could have a connection to Cambodia? All nonsense.

I just hope the army doesn't get caught up in this twaddle.

Edited by Thai at Heart