How To: Relocate To Another Province

maxtingtong

Me and wife are thinking to move from Ban Phe, Rayong to Surin for some months to assist her old parents. We have one dog (pregnant, so soon will have some puppies as well), two cats, one motorcycle, one cycle, some pieces of furniture (not many), a lot of her clothes (lol) and some mine stuff too. I guess rent/borrow a pickup isn't enough, I checked main car rentals websites but can't find any cargo van to rent. Do you maybe know some other options? (in Rayong or Chantanaburi can be fine). When we moved from bkk to here we found a small truck with driver, but I guess in bkk it's easier. The best should be find a similar deal or a rental to pickup in rayong and deliver around there (even korat is ok, anything better than drive back to here)

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

I'd try to ship as much as possible by mail. Box it up and bring it down to the post office. Motorbikes can even be shipped by mail. Sell the furniture. Get it down to where you can rent a PU truck or Honda Jazz for the job.

This is why before I buy anything I ask myself is this really necessary? Before I moved to Thailand I sold a 4 bedroom home and everything in it. Landed here with a suitcase and a guitar. Never again. One does tend accumulate "STUFF".

Good luck.

Have your wife find someone with a big truck locally. When I was teaching I lived away from home during the week and moved twice, that's how I did it. Preferably find one that has at least a big tarp to cover your belongings. Moved the dogs in my truck, but had a friend that didn't have a truck so he sat on the couch with the dogs in the back of the big truck. The guy that supplied the truck also supplied 2 helpers to load and unload. Cost me 8000 baht for a 560 kilometer round trip for the truck and help plus copious amounts of beer, whiskey and food when it was all over. But, that was 4 years ago.

Just like Pinot said...mail the stuff (packaged in boxes) to your new address. takes a couple of weeks and is cheap. Pick up stuff at the local post office because they will not be delivered. You can even mail the ironing board by simply sticking an address to it.

Edited by Mrjlh

Quite often your wife will know a friend of a friend, or a cousin of a cousin, from her own village who will be able to do the job for you. Someone in Surin has a 'sip lor' (10 wheeler truck) who will come down to Baan Phe to pick up you, your pets and your belongings. I doubt if it will cost an arm and a leg either. Diesel for the round trip will be the biggest cost, a couple of men to drive the vehicle and load the truck a lot less. Get your wife to ask her mum and dad - I am sure they will know someone who will do the job. Once loaded you jump on the NCA Gold Bus Service from Rayong to Surin and meet the truckers back in the province. What could be easier?