Push For Thai Amnesty Bill May Bring Chaos: Critic

webfact

POLITICS
Push for amnesty bill may bring chaos: critic

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A critic of the government warned yesterday that the ruling Pheu Thai Party's push for early deliberation by the House of Representatives of an amnesty bill could lead to a new round of political conflict, but this concern was rejected by a senior government figure.

Suriyasai Katasila, coordinator of the Green Politics Group and a critic of the ruling party, said Pheu Thai had possibly launched this new "assault" because it was confident of majority control in the House. He added that the party was trying to rush through the legislation because its ultimate goal is to help its patriarch, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, get out of his legal tangle.

"They seem to underestimate their enemies, which could renew the political conflict and lead to a new round of confrontations after Songkran," Suriyasai warned.

"It is not right for them to abuse their majority without any respect to righteousness," he said. "I think their next goal is to push for the passage of a bill on reconciliation, which in fact aims to whitewash Thaksin's wrongdoings."

However, the prime minister's secretary-general, Suranand Vejjajiva, said yesterday that he did not believe Pheu Thai's latest move would "heat up the politics", adding that any conflict over the matter should be limited to the Parliament.

"The political heat should be under democratic rules, and the matter should be discussed among parliamentarians," he said.

Suranand said he did not wish to see any more street protests and believed many Thais agreed with him. He also said the government wanted to bring about political reconciliation in the country.

Pheu Thai MPs plan to ask for their amnesty bill, proposed by the party's Samut Prakan MP Worachai Hema, to be moved to the top of the House agenda on Thursday.

Most Pheu Thai MPs agree that this motion is "urgent", according to the party's Nakhon Phanom MP Paijit Sriworakhan, who is a deputy government chief whip.

Noppadon Patama, Thaksin's legal adviser, said Pheu Thai MPs would not be allowed to vote freely at the House session, as they would have to follow the decision made by the party at a meeting tomorrow. He said many MPs wanted the amnesty bill to be discussed urgently in order to help red-shirt protesters still in detention for their involvement with the political unrest and riots in 2010.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-16

Another coup threat.

Ohhh great

Where's the coup threat?

They seem to underestimate their enemies, which could renew the political conflict and lead to a new round of confrontations after Songkran," Suriyasai warned.

I take that as a coup threat. The pad can't overthrow the government on their own.

• Like 2

However, the prime minister's secretary-general, Suranand Vejjajiva, said yesterday that he did not believe Pheu Thai's latest move would "heat up the politics", adding that any conflict over the matter should be limited to the Parliament.

Nothing but full throttle hypocrisy.Even before the coup his master had blood on his hands Khru Se,War on drugs?,Tak Bai and the list continues to grow...as early as 2005 the well respected and in Thai Buddhist eyes sainted Phra Maha Bua had this to say about Suranands master " He will put a torch to the country. He will never listen....This savagery and atrocity appear in every aspect of him.... All he has are things to be used for burning."-prophetic.

Precisely - type A sociopath as I defined in a recent post.

• Like 1

Another coup threat.

Ohhh great

Where's the coup threat?

They seem to underestimate their enemies, which could renew the political conflict and lead to a new round of confrontations after Songkran," Suriyasai warned.

I take that as a coup threat. The pad can't overthrow the government on their own.

The red shirts had confrontations in 2009 and 2010. They weren't coup threats.

Even with the recent yellow shirt protests, they wanted a coup, but there was no threat of one from the army.

Another coup threat.

Ohhh great

Where's the coup threat?

The red shirts had confrontations in 2009 and 2010. They weren't coup threats.

Even with the recent yellow shirt protests, they wanted a coup, but there was no threat of one from the army.

Well, history shows it starts with protests, and goes from there. It will depend how hard the government cracks down on any protests with the police, and how much determination, tacit support and thus, money the pad has.

The odds that the army would have overthrown a democrat government are pretty slim.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Suranand said he did not wish to see any more street protests and believed many Thais agreed with him. He also said the government wanted to bring about political reconciliation in the country.

If you don't want protests, don't push for amnesty. Reconciliation won't come through pushing for amnesty.

In very simplistic terms, and I hope I'm wrong, the words " may bring... " should read " will bring... " but PTP really don't care as long as 1 man benefits

Many years ago in a memorable birthday speech the King spoke of the country being run as a wholly owned subsidiarity and the media reveled in the fact that a certain gentleman was squirming as the speaker was the one man in Thailand he could do nothing about. Has anything changed much as he's in Dubai with a bench warmer in his seat while he orchestrates everything?

Thai at heart are you saying history shows that coups start with protests? The 3 that have happened since I've been here didn't. And the reason for the coup has always been the same not enough corruption shared (well, actually that the then current PM was corrupt and would be replace illegally some someone with more knowledge of corruption) No one knew anything about a coup until the radio/TV started playing the national anthem over and over again the following morning. Yes there was some disturbance before the illegal coup that removed Thaksin but that was not the reason quoted for removing him. To my knowledge disturbances started in protests after the coup (Thamasat, Chatchai, Thaksin). I have however spoken to the Army and they have promised me that any further coups will be held on either a Friday or a Monday so giving the populous a long weekend break and so that more people will love the military - also a new title will be created for the head of the government after the next military take-over he or she will be called coup-coup!

Edited by BrianCR

Many years ago in a memorable birthday speech the King spoke of the country being run as a wholly owned subsidiarity and the media reveled in the fact that a certain gentleman was squirming as the speaker was the one man in Thailand he could do nothing about. Has anything changed much as he's in Dubai with a bench warmer in his seat while he orchestrates everything?

Will no-one rid me of this troublesome pest?

Now is the summer of our discontent. His people will push and push, bring the mob out if necessary and TAT will announce tourists are flocking in. Imagine one man, only one can wreak this havoc and be allowed to

However, the prime minister's secretary-general, Suranand Vejjajiva didn't address the part of "trying to rush through the legislation because its ultimate goal is to help its patriarch, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, get out of his legal tangle"

Nothing but full throttle hypocrisy.Even before the coup his master had blood on his hands Khru Se,War on drugs?,Tak Bai and the list continues to grow...as early as 2005 the well respected and in Thai Buddhist eyes sainted Phra Maha Bua had this to say about Suranands master " He will put a torch to the country. He will never listen....This savagery and atrocity appear in every aspect of him.... All he has are things to be used for burning."-prophetic.

Precisely - type A sociopath as I defined in a recent post.

A type A sociopath = someone who hopes that another person dies of cancer. A type A sociopath = someone who speculates that he would like the contact details of a terrorist so he could advise on the best way of killing a government minister. Ring any bells?

• Like 1

Thai at heart are you saying history shows that coups start with protests? The 3 that have happened since I've been here didn't. And the reason for the coup has always been the same not enough corruption shared (well, actually that the then current PM was corrupt and would be replace illegally some someone with more knowledge of corruption) No one knew anything about a coup until the radio/TV started playing the national anthem over and over again the following morning. Yes there was some disturbance before the illegal coup that removed Thaksin but that was not the reason quoted for removing him. To my knowledge disturbances started in protests after the coup (Thamasat, Chatchai, Thaksin). I have however spoken to the Army and they have promised me that any further coups will be held on either a Friday or a Monday so giving the populous a long weekend break and so that more people will love the military - also a new title will be created for the head of the government after the next military take-over he or she will be called coup-coup!

I think we can go with recent history. There was a fair gap between the most recent and that before.

I expect the PAD to come out and if the police can't break it up, the army will step in to save the country from chaos. I will never believe that the army would intervene against the pad, never.

That's just the way it will be.

For any critic claiming chaos we can find 10 critics claiming peace. When does Thai Visa stop publishing opinions from Neo Fascist news papers only. It is either publishing not or give both sides of the isle a chance to voice their opinion. Since Thai Visa is in bed with the Royalist anti Red shirt newspaper the Nation from which the owners are involved in a personal vendetta with Thaksin it seems that at visitors to thailand must be presented a one sided picture. Maybe some text about all those political prisoners made by Royalists next time?

• Like 1

Noppadon Patama, Thaksin's legal adviser, said Pheu Thai MPs would not be allowed to vote freely at the House session, as they would have to follow the decision made by the party at a meeting tomorrow

lol... Democracy in action there!

Thai Democracy is the sleight of hand in acquiring votes.

Stop confusing the behaviour of a blatantly 2nd world country, with those of civilised 1st world countries.

If Thailand wants to live in the past and re-write history, that's up to them. We can but look on despairingly and wish for the miracle of seeing a Thai government doing what's best for the country.

The 'People's Democratic Republic of Thailand' looms.

For any critic claiming chaos we can find 10 critics claiming peace. When does Thai Visa stop publishing opinions from Neo Fascist news papers only. It is either publishing not or give both sides of the isle a chance to voice their opinion. Since Thai Visa is in bed with the Royalist anti Red shirt newspaper the Nation from which the owners are involved in a personal vendetta with Thaksin it seems that at visitors to thailand must be presented a one sided picture. Maybe some text about all those political prisoners made by Royalists next time?

Is Thaksin a fugitive from justice?

A continuation of the Suthep story of yesterday showing that there are others in this country who realize what trouble this amnesty bill will bring.

When people see that those who committed crimes like burning buildings are going to be pardoned and likely compensated (if they are reds) there is going to be a lot of discontent.

Have you noticed how there is a break up among the Govt supporters into smaller groups with more having to be bussed in to make up the numbers at the rallies.

Almost every day on Tele news there is some group or other protesting about something or other, usually at local or national authority.

Was in BKK for a few days last week and a lot of vans were parked outside where we stayed. The Mrs said she overheard one driver say to another " You were a big time red shirt leader, how has your life changed since PT have been in Govt?"

She said she didn't hear the answer but it could along with all the other indications show that people are starting to wake up.

If that is the case then they could well be pushed to far and it wont need the army to step in the people will do the job themselves.

Talking of neo-fascists, when Thaksin accused the then PM of being surrounded by homosexual 'advisors', what constituency do you think he was appealing to?
  • Like 2

A continuation of the Suthep story of yesterday showing that there are others in this country who realize what trouble this amnesty bill will bring.

When people see that those who committed crimes like burning buildings are going to be pardoned and likely compensated (if they are reds) there is going to be a lot of discontent.

Have you noticed how there is a break up among the Govt supporters into smaller groups with more having to be bussed in to make up the numbers at the rallies.

Almost every day on Tele news there is some group or other protesting about something or other, usually at local or national authority.

Was in BKK for a few days last week and a lot of vans were parked outside where we stayed. The Mrs said she overheard one driver say to another " You were a big time red shirt leader, how has your life changed since PT have been in Govt?"

She said she didn't hear the answer but it could along with all the other indications show that people are starting to wake up.

If that is the case then they could well be pushed to far and it wont need the army to step in the people will do the job themselves.

Would be nice to think so, but certainly the ignorance and apathy up here won't generate any anti-government response.

The number of (supposedly) 'under renovation' outlets in CM Central (ie shop is out of business), shows the 'benefits' that even the PTP heartland has felt.

But even with the benefit of the education which their 'god' Thaksin bestowed on them, 1+1 does not equal 2.

Another coup threat.

Ohhh great

Where's the coup threat?

So here we go again; you either RED or your YELLOW!

Totally ignoring the possibility that:

- There is a sizeable percentage of the Thai population which doesn't fully align themselves to RED or to YELLOW

- There is a sizeable percentage of the Thai population which doesn't align at all to either RED or to YELLOW, and have a different

view of the situation

- There is a sizeable percentage of the Thai population which strongly believes that the poor are downtrodden and desperately need to be

helped to gain a scenario whereby they can achieve a much better quality of life through their own productivity, but not meaning

continuous rice scams, etc. And also believing that the REDs are not and never have been a genuine structured vehicle to achieve such

change.

- Don't believe that the PAD / YELLOWS were the absolute & specific vehicle for the last coup.

- Who believe that another coup, if there is one, could be generated by a range of influences, one being purely the military itself just not

prepared to see the current situation (including the possibility that a convicted criminal who is awaiting trial on a number of other

serious charges, including charges which cannot ever be labeled as 'political' ) continue.

Now stand by for the anti-coup brigade!

• Like 1

Another coup threat.

Ohhh great

Where's the coup threat?

I don't take it as a coup threat. It looks to me like a forecast that street protests will resume if the instigator of the 2010 riots & his enforcers are to be given an amnesty, If the protests get out of hand or are heavily suppressed, then all options are 'on the table'.

• Like 1

Another coup threat.

Ohhh great

Where's the coup threat?

So here we go again; you either RED or your YELLOW!

Totally ignoring the possibility that:

- There is a sizeable percentage of the Thai population which doesn't fully align themselves to RED or to YELLOW

- There is a sizeable percentage of the Thai population which doesn't align at all to either RED or to YELLOW, and have a different

view of the situation

- There is a sizeable percentage of the Thai population which strongly believes that the poor are downtrodden and desperately need to be

helped to gain a scenario whereby they can achieve a much better quality of life through their own productivity, but not meaning

continuous rice scams, etc. And also believing that the REDs are not and never have been a genuine structured vehicle to achieve such

change.

- Don't believe that the PAD / YELLOWS were the absolute & specific vehicle for the last coup.

- Who believe that another coup, if there is one, could be generated by a range of influences, one being purely the military itself just not

prepared to see the current situation (including the possibility that a convicted criminal who is awaiting trial on a number of other

serious charges, including charges which cannot ever be labeled as 'political' ) continue.

Now stand by for the anti-coup brigade!
I don't really have the luxury of being with either. We all know the reds affiliation with the police and we all know that the army isn't going to act on the yellows on the behalf of the ptp.

I am staunchly anti coup, and despise the army with their false pierce pretence of saving the country. Do I like the corruption of ptp and the red shirt leaders? How cab anyone? Do the poor deserve to be feted in Thai politics, hell yes.

Is amending the constitution through legal means acceptable? It has to be so.

All I try to do is join the dots about where CHAOS ends.

Edited by Thai at Heart