Long Stay Travel Insurance For A Uk Resident

Malthus101

Hi

Coming to Thailand soon for a year and need to get travel insurance. Have read the forums and moneysupermarket etc but would like to hear some personal recommendations.

Need medical cover, luggage lost/stolen, personal possessions insured against theft and to be coverd for burglary of my apartment when I get settled (laptop/camera etc)

Plan on riding a scooter/motorbike and going possibly rock climbing and diving which are usually special cover.

Any good insurance companies for UK resident anyone recommends?

Thanks

Malthus101

Most (all?) frontline travel insurance packages offered by UK insurers restrict cover to holidays of one (sometimes two) months duration. You would probably need to shop amongst the backpacker insurance market for longer term and suffer the kind of cover that backpackers would be happy with (ie nothing too rizzy if you have to claim). Maybe try backpacker web-sites and magazines.

Willing to be proved wrong by other posters - my own research became rather half-hearted quite quickly when I found that the majors were offering only holiday cover.

Most (all?) frontline travel insurance packages offered by UK insurers restrict cover to holidays of one (sometimes two) months duration. You would probably need to shop amongst the backpacker insurance market for longer term and suffer the kind of cover that backpackers would be happy with (ie nothing too rizzy if you have to claim). Maybe try backpacker web-sites and magazines.

Willing to be proved wrong by other posters - my own research became rather half-hearted quite quickly when I found that the majors were offering only holiday cover.

I usually stay in Thailand for between 4 and 7 months at a time and use the Silver Long Stay option on Insure & Go

http://www.insureandgo.com/

They cover me from the date I leave UK until the date I return and I'm also covered for other countries in the Region.

They have a range of options - not sure if it identifies burglary but I rather hope that "loss of personal property" would cover that. Assuming you're renting an apartment, it's only YOUR possessions that you need to cover - up to the landlord to insure his/her property.

Oh and over the years I've made 3 seperate claims - all paid albeit with some "negotiation" as to what was covered and what was part of the excess.

Read their website and phone them if you want to tailor the policy - I've found them to be helpful. Be careful of the small print - laptops and the like MAY be regarded as "business equipment" if you want full cover - as I say, talk to them.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

I usually stay in Thailand for between 4 and 7 months at a time and use the Silver Long Stay option on Insure & Go

http://www.insureandgo.com/

They cover me from the date I leave UK until the date I return and I'm also covered for other countries in the Region.

They have a range of options - not sure if it identifies burglary but I rather hope that "loss of personal property" would cover that. Assuming you're renting an apartment, it's only YOUR possessions that you need to cover - up to the landlord to insure his/her property.

Oh and over the years I've made 3 seperate claims - all paid albeit with some "negotiation" as to what was covered and what was part of the excess.

Read their website and phone them if you want to tailor the policy - I've found them to be helpful. Be careful of the small print - laptops and the like MAY be regarded as "business equipment" if you want full cover - as I say, talk to them.

Yeah thanks, I was looking at their site too and reading reviews on tripadvisor and most people seemed to find them very straightforward - would be great if they covered me for Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, should I choose to visit those countries.

Malthus101, on 20 Apr 2013 - 23:08, said:

Malthus101, on 20 Apr 2013 - 23:08, said:

VBF, on 19 Apr 2013 - 00:00, said:

SantiSuk, on 18 Apr 2013 - 23:30, said:

http://www.insureandgo.com/"]http://www.insureandgo.com/[/url]

Yeah thanks, I was looking at their site too and reading reviews on tripadvisor and most people seemed to find them very straightforward - would be great if they covered me for Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, should I choose to visit those countries.

Please be so kind as to READ my post to which you replied - in which I say:

"They cover me from the date I leave UK until the date I return and I'm also covered for other countries in the Region."

If you read their website (or speak to them to get a personal quote as I suggested), you will find that the regions covered are "Europe", or "Worldwide (excluding USA & Canada)" or "Worldwide" The premium changes to reflect the cover you want

You choose the right region for your travels - "Worldwide (excluding USA & Canada)" seems to do it for me smile.png

It's all there - you just need to read it......

Edited by VBF

do you have a full uk motorcycle licence I looked for similar cover before but they all required this. I only have a thai mc license.thinking about doing uk mc course when i return uk next month to spend summer there

No I don't drive m/c - only cars! But I can't actually see where that is relevent.

The OP did say "Plan on riding a scooter/motorbike and going possibly rock climbing and diving which are usually special cover."

The insurance I opt for isn't driving-related, it's long-stay travel insurance. If i hire or borrow a car, I get that aspect covered seperately - however rock climbing and diving are included but there are limitations, as there are with SCUBA diving which interests me.

People - as I keep saying, READ the website or speak to them!

Edited by VBF