Former Pakistani Military Leader Musharraf Takes Flight From Court

webfact

Musharraf takes flight from court
Khurrum Anis and Haris Anwar

KARACHI: -- Former Pakistani military leader Pervez Musharraf and his army guards fled a court in Islamabad after judges had revoked a bail agreement preventing his arrest on charges relating to the 2007 declaration of emergency rule.

Mr Musharraf's security officers "helped him escape instead of surrendering him before local police" and enabling his arrest, Judge Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui said in a ruling posted on the Islamabad High Court's website. The court ordered the city's police chief to appear before it on Friday to explain the steps that would be taken to detain Mr Musharraf.

Pakistani TV channels, including the Geo network, broadcast live footage of Musharraf surrounded by soldiers as he left the court in the capital. Lawyers chanted slogans against the former general as his black SUV drove away in the direction of his heavily guarded Islamabad home.

Mr Musharraf "is not afraid of arrest and hasn't fled from the city," Muhammad Amjad Chaudhry, a senior official in the former military ruler's All Pakistan Muslim League party, told reporters after meeting him. "We are going to file an appeal in the Supreme Court to get the bail renewed." The former general's lawyers said no arrest warrant had been issued.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/musharraf-takes-flight-from-court-20130419-2i3t8.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2013-04-19

At this point I think the western world is tired of Pakistan and all of its dysfunctions. Frankly, if a meteor landed on the place I wouldn't lose any sleep.

I wish I were bored with it - instead I worry about it.

As potentially dangerous to the world outside it's borders as any country in the world, in my reasonably well informed opinion.

(I bet I know what someone will say to that...)

• Like 2

There's a good chance that he will simply be deported. Not necessarily, but very possibly. Trying him would be a circus, and imprisoning him would be dangerous, and executing him for treason would possibly cause a civil war.

He was the leader of the military. Many military members are still loyal to him. They would be most unhappy to see one of theirs punished. Part of that reason is that many of them are guilty of the same things.

Although his supporters are apparently in the minority, it is the judicial branch who he fired to take more control in around 2007 that's after his hide. In particular it seems to be one judge who really holds this grudge.

I'm not sure that the judiciary members want to risk a clash with those in the military who still consider him one of theirs. The easy way out is to order him deported, and let him go off to Dubai or wherever, and live out his life.

We'll see.

• Like 2

There's a good chance that he will simply be deported. Not necessarily, but very possibly.

in 1998 Musharraf let Nawaz Sharif take exile in Saudi Arabia although he could have tried Sharif for attempted murder.
  • Like 1

There's a good chance that he will simply be deported. Not necessarily, but very possibly.

in 1998 Musharraf let Nawaz Sharif take exile in Saudi Arabia although he could have tried Sharif for attempted murder.

A wise decision too. What if Shariff had been tried? What if he was imprisoned? Worse, what if they had tried to execute him? I think there would have been blood in the streets, and perhaps the blood of those determined to punish Shariff.

I could easily be wrong, but I can't see how they keep Mushariff in prison, or execute him without a lot of bloodshed. I'm not sure they could complete a trial. Time will tell.

"Mr Musharraf "is not afraid of arrest and hasn't fled from the city," Muhammad Amjad Chaudhry, a senior official in the former military ruler's All Pakistan Muslim League party, told reporters..."

Reminds me of the ending of 'The Wizard of Oz' ....."Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Or Nixon's "I am not a crook"

Or Thaksin's "Of course I'll return after the Olympics. I just wanna take my family to watch some sports. You don't think I would run off do you? I'm offended that you would even entertain such a thought about someone as important and trusted as me."

"

A wise decision too. What if Shariff had been tried? What if he was imprisoned? Worse, what if they had tried to execute him? I think there would have been blood in the streets, and perhaps the blood of those determined to punish Shariff.

I could easily be wrong, but I can't see how they keep Mushariff in prison, or execute him without a lot of bloodshed. I'm not sure they could complete a trial. Time will tell.

well, there is a precedence. Zia-ul-Haq (also known as Zia al-Faq) hung Benazir's father Zulfikar Ali Bhutto by his neck in 1979(?). i still remember that my Pakistani staff in Saudi Arabia claimed "no way, then there will be blood in the streets!"

• Like 2

well, there is a precedence. Zia-ul-Haq (also known as Zia al-Faq) hung Benazir's father Zulfikar Ali Bhutto by his neck in 1979(?). i still remember that my Pakistani staff in Saudi Arabia claimed "no way, then there will be blood in the streets!"

Yes, but a difference is the Bhutto wasn't the head of the military. He was executed by the head of the military. Bhutto was Western educated as a lawyer, and was a politician.

With Mushariff, we have the opposite. He was the leader of the military in a military run government, and clashed with the judiciary.

I still have to wonder if the judiciary, in particular this one judge who is named, wants to risk the wrath of even some of the military. I suspect that there would be a lot of blood in the streets, including the blood of these judges.

Mind you, this is just a hunch. It's actually more just something I wonder about.

Edited by NeverSure

Pakistan is becoming more stratified and polarized week by week. The best sugar-coated scenario of the past several years might describe it as: the ISI (their CIA) are rogues who take no heed of central government. Taliban-loving religious zealots are becoming increasingly polarized from any remnants of democracy-respecting moderates. I hate to say it, but Pakistan can't help but implode from the various competing factions. The government has lost control of the military - or perhaps it's the other way around. This thing with Mushariff is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg - of what's to come.

I still have to wonder if the judiciary, in particular this one judge
who is named, wants to risk the wrath of even some of the military. I
suspect that there would be a lot of blood in the streets, including the
blood of these judges.

i don't know how much backing Musharraf still has within the military.

but i am surprised that the military is keeping quiet, not as far as

Musharraf is concerned but because of the fraudster Zardari and

former prime minister Gillani who defied supreme court orders.

perhaps i should contact old friends in Lahore and brush up my

knowledge what is going on.

Pakistan is becoming more stratified and polarized week by week. The best sugar-coated scenario of the past several years might describe it as: the ISI (their CIA) are rogues who take no heed of central government. Taliban-loving religious zealots are becoming increasingly polarized from any remnants of democracy-respecting moderates. I hate to say it, but Pakistan can't help but implode from the various competing factions. The government has lost control of the military - or perhaps it's the other way around. This thing with Mushariff is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg - of what's to come.

On reflection I like the meteorite solution, but just hope it lands before the UK succeeds in importing the same chaos, and paying for the privilege I might add.

A dictator running away from justice - now where have I heard that before?

It never happened before.

It can never happen in any country.

it didn't happen now in Pakistan.

He didn't run away.

He saved Pakistanis from making a politicized decision in Court.

He was the only dictator of a poor nation who didn't steal money.

His guards helped him out of love and sympathy only.

Pakistani Court didn't know he was a 'skip' risk.

He will return begging for forgiveness.

He has nowhere to go and nothing to live on.

Long live Freedom and Democracy!... in Pakistan too!

cheesy.gifwai2.gif