Cost Of Living In Koh Samui

These are the accredited schools on Koh Samui.

I am not sure when FunFon last visited a school on Samui, but a number of them are very professional and the parents that I meet are more than happy with them. The preferred schools seem to be ISS, Panyadee, and SCL. ISS has approx 250 children - no boarders yet.

The ISS has a very good reputation and from the next academic year will teach to 'A' level standard (18 years old).

The only way to find out is to visit them yourself as personal views differ greatly. I have heard good reports of all of the above three schools. Some of the other schoools only take young'uns

http://iss.ac.th/

http://www.panyadee.ac.th/

http://www.sclinternationalschool.com/

http://www.oonraksamui.com/Eng_index.php

http://www.ciss-samui.com/CISS/Home.html

You might want to think about a short fact-finding trip to each location (Samui v Chiang Mai) to scope things out.

Sorry - I should have added - Chiang Mai is definitely cheaper than Samui - but the beaches in Chiang Mai are rubbish . They also get burn-off/haze every year. Not good for the health

(If there was an icon for 'tongue in cheek', I would have used it )

If your Australian op the beaches on Samui are pretty crappie also.

That can be the Thaivisa comment of the day. Chris B , if you want Aussie beaches & surf, get back there.

I am Rooo.

I know you are, enjoy.

Sorry if I offended you about Samui beaches.

FWIW, I'd rather be anywhere in Thailand.

Cm is different then Samui, you are comparing the 2nd biggest city in Thailand to an island. Both have their pluses & minuses.

CM , cultural, city feel, cheaper,easy drive to many landmarks & towns, landlocked.

Samui, tropical island, food a bit dearer, supermarkets same as anywhere else, as previously mentioned, endless supply of restaurants & now have decent schools.

Again, best to spend time in both places, speak to expats & locals about the varying conditions during the year & make your mind up.

Good luck.

• Like 2

My point is if the op wants Samui for it's beach life and he is Australian, it's not that great.Has the OP asked for the beach life?

Wouldn't most who move there do so for the beach? I'd say it's part of choosing to live on an island.

Someone, who has been here just once, obviously on holidays, is by far not qualified to give proper advice whether Koh Samui is a good place for living or not. Moreover most people do not move here for the beach, but for the beach and the whole package of a convenient island life. If it would be beach only, I would be somewhere in the South Pacific

The North is nice too, of course, but 2 main reasons against it: can't handle the smoke for months and no beach. Actually if someone can choose, I can't understand why someone does not live next to the tropical sea. It's the by far the natural ultimate in Thailand with perfect air nonstop and fresh seafood and and and

• Like 2

Someone, who has been here just once, obviously on holidays, is by far not qualified to give proper advice whether Koh Samui is a good place for living or not. Moreover most people do not move here for the beach, but for the beach and the whole package of a convenient island life. If it would be beach only, I would be somewhere in the South Pacific

The North is nice too, of course, but 2 main reasons against it: can't handle the smoke for months and no beach. Actually if someone can choose, I can't understand why someone does not live next to the tropical sea. It's the by far the natural ultimate in Thailand with perfect air nonstop and fresh seafood and and and

I wanted to go back but the end of year football teams getting blind drunk and fighting on the streets turned me off. Along with their rented motorbike skills.

I wanted to go back but the end of year football teams getting blind drunk and fighting on the streets turned me off. Along with their rented motorbike skills.

Perhaps next time stay out of these areas, like going to Sydney & staying in the middle of King's Crosslaugh.png ( Notorious night district to the uninitiated ) . There is a lot more to the island then night life, lots of hidden gems.

I was feeling you had some sort of an axe to grind with Samui and i was waiting for the post to confirm this. You just have.smile.png

You also have a narrow minded opinion of the island which probably stems from only visiting once and quite clearly not knowing the island. You really should get to know somewhere before knocking itwink.png

I don't really understand the strange comment about "football teams fighting drunk" anymore than i can fathom why you insist on compairing a tropical island with the countries second city! I've lived here ten years and i've never seen anyone fighting in the street and i wouldn't try to make a comparisonbetween london and one of the channel islands.

• Like 1

I wonder why so many nonsense here. Samui beaches are wondeful. Cost of life is maybe a bit more than the cheapest places but still, you can find good thai food for 30-50 bahts easy. Samui is a true paradise.

About schools cannot answer. Also 3 bedroom appartement not easy to find.

yes being a relevatly sma island with mostly mountains in the middle means you are never far from a beach. if you like beaches then a small tropical island with water heat levels similar to the heat outside in other words there is not much difference in water temrature to the out of water tempterure. so no need for swim suites. u can easily drip dry without a towel. there are fishing spots and take a boat out there is koh tao about 1hr 40 mins away with amazing diving areas.

u might have trouble surfing but there is kite boarding. wake boarding, the rocket thing. or just chilling in a beach bar looking at the peaches. most of the year round.

Chiangmai is slightly cooler whiuch sometimes i miss but apart from that i have never lived there only visited so cannot compare only that flights to bangko from chiangman are allot cheaper. here commuting to bangkok is very difficult on your pockets unless your company pays for you or u have allot of doh.

I was feeling you had some sort of an axe to grind with Samui and i was waiting for the post to confirm this. You just have.smile.png

You also have a narrow minded opinion of the island which probably stems from only visiting once and quite clearly not knowing the island. You really should get to know somewhere before knocking itwink.png

I don't really understand the strange comment about "football teams fighting drunk" anymore than i can fathom why you insist on compairing a tropical island with the countries second city! I've lived here ten years and i've never seen anyone fighting in the street and i wouldn't try to make a comparisonbetween london and one of the channel islands.

i think when short time tourists come to samui that when they talk about beaches they seem to be only referring the chaweng and lamai but they are just 2 beaches of the whole island. now with all the developement there are still loads of tropical deserted beaches round lipa noi hua thanon. Manam beach has nice sand.

like someone said people come here for a few weeks and think they have expelored samui inside out. the fact that most of us have chosen to live here must been that for all its faults we like it some even love it.

As for Chiangmai beaches. i did not know they had any???

I bag your pardon for some straight words.this is one of the silliest question ever.repetiadly asked in one of the forums.it is up to YOU! If you are on budget and you wanna do it- do it.if not even better it is completely up to you.a decent live can start with 50 000 up to whatever.you wanna eat pad kar paow or caviar- as I said,up to you.at first plan what life standard you wanna have then ask again!

• Like 1

My point is if the op wants Samui for it's beach life and he is Australian, it's not that great.Has the OP asked for the beach life?

Wouldn't most who move there do so for the beach? I'd say it's part of choosing to live on an island.
I moved here to be next to the sea and thus cut down by roughly half, areas which have the potential to harbour mosquitoes.

Most people I know who are still their who have the money get the kids off Samui up to BKK, depends what you aspirations are for your kids and what cash is like.

Samui more expensive but not massively.

Flight from Samui to BKK 10,000+ return not to difficult to get the 700 baht deals to BKK each way from Chiang Mai with all the low cost air lines.

Very limited amounts of East Europeans in Chang Mai, Samui becoming a major destination (source TAT)

Beaches or mountains that's you choice

Smoke in Chaing Mai Samui power cuts

Dengue fever common Samui, not pleasant for kid, also mediocre hospitals compared to mainland

No sharks but plenty of drowning's and apparently box jelly fish.

For me out the 2 Chang Mai would win hands down, not easy to try and live both places to get a feel, its like living like a gypsy with limited belonging's, yes right thing to do, but presently doing it and not easy.

Always worth remembering your asking on Samui forum where to posters its home.

Edited by marstons

Perhaps next time stay out of these areas, like going to Sydney & staying in the middle of King's Crosslaugh.png ( Notorious night district to the uninitiated ) . There is a lot more to the island then night life, lots of hidden gems.

"Sydney & staying in the middle of King's Crosslaugh.png ( Notorious night district"

It is NOT that bad, you can have a good time there provided you keep cool and control ur self!!

We (my girlfriend and me) are living in Malaysia, and consider moving to either Chiang Mai or Koh Samui.

What's the cost of living like in Koh SamuI? Depends on what life style you have but for most people it is very affordable ( do u already have a vehilce as you shall need one ) Forget taxis as common mode of transport

Is it possible to get a solid internet connection? yes 3g is everywhere almost. plus TOT company ,3bb, CAT, True ( samui )

Are there any international schools? Yes plenty you shall have to do some research yourself as to how you rate them ( samui )

We need a fully furnished 3 bedroom apartment and solid WIFI and broadband. - no porblem in samui there but i do not know what the situation is with apartments more villas and houses for long term rent and sale. nearly all have internet. if not then dont stay there as most of them all have internet

Chiang mai shall have allot cheaper accommodation being a city with lots of land. Samui is lmited to how much land there is so this pushes prices up

We eat out at least once a day, preferably at local places. Maybe once a week I'd go to bars for a ouple drinks. - no problem have many bars, pubs restaurants., loads of business in samui

Thanks,

Gerald

I went there for the booze, chicks and soi dogs.

Not your common or garden riff raff (riff ruff?) soi dogs on Samui either.

I went there for the booze, chicks and soi dogs.

Not your common or garden riff raff (riff ruff?) soi dogs on Samui either.

Definitely not ones with sand between their paws.