Obtaining Self Employment In Thailand

Set company up with Thai majority share holder , set up and register a school/tutor school , show 2 million baht capital if asked, have degree, have tesol or celta, have 4 Thai employees, have business premises, pay tax on the company for a year, be 'employed' by the company, apply for 3 month non-b visa, apply for work permit, have police checks, apply for a years non-b visa.

There is no such thing as self employment for foreigners here.

• Like 1

Set company up with Thai majority share holder , set up and register a school/tutor school , show 2 million baht capital if asked, have degree, have tesol or celta, have 4 Thai employees, have business premises, pay tax on the company for a year, be 'employed' by the company, apply for 3 month non-b visa, apply for work permit, have police checks, apply for a years non-b visa.

Not officially anyway!thumbsup.gif

Not officially anyway!thumbsup.gif

smile.png

From what I know about teaching English here in Thailand you don't have to worry too much about work permits,if the school provides one then that's ok but if they don't no-one seems to mind!
The Thais hold teachers in very high regard even though the pay is quite low and seem to be perfectly willing to turn a blind eye to it!blink.png

• Like 1

From what I know about teaching English here in Thailand you don't have to worry too much about work permits,if the school provides one then that's ok but if they don't no-one seems to mind!

The Thais hold teachers in very high regard even though the pay is quite low and seem to be perfectly willing to turn a blind eye to it!blink.png

Of course they dont mind, if someone gets caught working without one it not the schools problem, its the individuals problem..very silly to be suggesting its ok, you are leaving yourself wide open if someone decides to report you to the authorities...blink.png

• Like 1

Would n´t a non immigrant O visa be ok? as far as I know the employer has to fill out work form WP 2 at the social security for of the employee (the individual (employee can´t do this must be the employer).

If so, would nt it be ok if say two or three schools done this for the same employee. Again, if this is the case would n´t that be the correct and legal way of being self employed?

Thanks in advance, ladies and gentlemen.

If so, would nt it be ok if say two or three schools done this for the same employee. Again, if this is the case would n´t that be the correct and legal way of being self employed?

In theroy you can get multiple companies on the same WP, however in practice not so easy to implement...
  • Like 1

Would n´t a non immigrant O visa be ok? as far as I know the employer has to fill out work form WP 2 at the social security for of the employee (the individual (employee can´t do this must be the employer).

Can you be more exact if you want a correct answer - do you want to teach or open a business - also what educational background do you have?

For pity's sake I hope you're not planning on trying to teach English. Heaven help the pupils.

• Like 1

Can you be more exact if you want a correct answer - do you want to teach or open a business - also what educational background do you have?

My bet is bugger-all educational background.

• Like 1

While the OP's composition skills are a cause for concern should he be looking for employment in the education field, this is not the subject being discussed. Please restrict further comments to answering the questions put forth in the original post.

• Like 1

That's an incredibly naive attitude. Yes, no one minds, right up until the point that they do and then the foreigner is the one holding the can, with potential fines, arrest, deportation etc. Rare admittedly, but it does happen.

You can be "employed" by multiple companies/schools and have those entered into your WP, but you are not "self-employed". There is no such thing here for a foreigner. As Soutpeel mentioned, it is possible, but is not always easy to get done, and probably not something you can do yourself unless you know a Thai that deals with these things on a regular basis. It's unlikely that any of the schools will be much help OR know the rules.

No one seems to Great advice. LOL. It is only an imprisonable offence to work without a WP and many people have been fined and deported for this.

It is quite easy to register a company in Thailand but any type of school needs a licence from the Ministry of Education. Not so easily done. You are right re no self employment for foreigners. Theoretically this is possible under the 2008 Working of Aliens Act but thus far no ministerial regulations have been issued to facilitate it.

A problem with giving a full answer to this question is the lack of specific information. I'm mindful of the need to stay on topic and I was going to post my question as a new topic but I think it might help develop the issues raised here. My apologies to the mods if I am in error.

I wish to move from Laos to Thailand and would like to comply with all legal requirements regarding work permits and residence. I am an educator whose work product is confined exclusively to the internet. I undertake work as an independent contractor so have no employer (I am self-employed) but I do receive an income. All my students live outside Thailand. I am in negotiations for a contract which would require me to hire and supervise other teachers who would also work over the net. Eventually, I would need to recruit administrative and secretarial staff who would be Thai. My question is: is this work arrangement permissible in Thailand and, if so, what do I need to do in order to operate legally?.

A problem with giving a full answer to this question is the lack of specific information. I'm mindful of the need to stay on topic and I was going to post my question as a new topic but I think it might help develop the issues raised here. My apologies to the mods if I am in error.

I wish to move from Laos to Thailand and would like to comply with all legal requirements regarding work permits and residence. I am an educator whose work product is confined exclusively to the internet. I undertake work as an independent contractor so have no employer (I am self-employed) but I do receive an income. All my students live outside Thailand. I am in negotiations for a contract which would require me to hire and supervise other teachers who would also work over the net. Eventually, I would need to recruit administrative and secretarial staff who would be Thai. My question is: is this work arrangement permissible in Thailand and, if so, what do I need to do in order to operate legally?.

Short answer - working online or offline within Thailand requires a Work Permit, which will mean setting up a company, paying taxes, having 4 x Thai staff per 1 x WP etc etc.

Short answer - working online or offline within Thailand requires a Work Permit, which will mean setting up a company, paying taxes, having 4 x Thai staff per 1 x WP etc etc.

Of course,everbody does this by the book in Thailand!whistling.gif

cheesy.gif

For pity's sake I hope you're not planning on trying to teach English. Heaven help the pupils.

They wont be paying attention enough to learn the mistakes anyway.

Edited by isawasnake

Of course,everbody does this by the book in Thailand!whistling.gif

cheesy.gif

Many of us do. Those that choose not to do so at their own risk. I personally don't want to have a problem, pay a fine, go to jail, get deported and/or blacklisted, never able to return again. Horses for courses. All it takes is one phone call or one jealous Thai.

I love the understated sarcasm in that statement . . . I wonder how many others picked up on it whistling.gifclap2.gif

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

To say that "Thais hold teachers in very high regard" is a blanket statement and, as with most such statements, mostly incorrect.

Senior Professionals - experienced Professors, experts in their fields, who can legitimately expect to be addressed as "Acharn" - yes, absolutely, no question these people are accorded great respect.

Some 25 year old spotty faced Expat who washes up on Thai shores, scrabbles for a job teaching English at Baht 350 or so an hour and demands to be addressed as "Acharn" is mostly regarded with derision for his pretension.

Rightly so.

Patrick