Kathmandu To Bangkok By Motor Bike

If you want to cross Bhutan, hope you are not traveling on a budget.. :-)

I have tried to enter Tibet two times , and was turned back. Almost impossible to enter as a single biker. You need to join a tour...

Yes, that's true, as when I went to Tibet with http://www.sacredsummits.com in 2006, the bike permit was pricey, but my pal Binod Shrestha negotiated the fee down to half at least. I guess Bhutan is the same, but Rabi at Sacred Summits has pals that run KTM bike tours there, and says it's possible to get in and out (with fees of course). Myanmar is another story however, all the info I have on that is this UN map (http://www.unescap.org/ttdw/common/Maps/AH-map-GIS.pdf) and I suppose the travel rules are in flux right now.

I think you'll find the northeastern part of India a bit tricky to get through - since it looks like that is how you would have to go. I believe some areas still require visit permits, never mind a motorbike. There are some serious tribal badlands up there - be lovely, mind you, even if the roads were a bit crap.

I haven't researched it but there are numerous pitfalls, and almost certainly prohibitive ones, all along the way, even going as a simple tourist. You would need, inter alia and without a vehicle:

1. Plenty of money and advance permission to enter Bhutan from Nepal. Not cheap and as far as I'm aware not a route allowed to tourists.

2. Indian government advance permission to enter some of the NE states, a lengthy process often requiring joining a tour group.

3. Permission from the Burmese government to enter the country from India - never in modern times, as far as I'm aware, granted to a Westerner (Google Bertil Lintner, who back in the mid-80s crossed from India into Burma illegally - see "Land of Jade: A Journey from India through Northern Burma to China").

That's just as a tourist. With the addition of a vehicle I would estimate your chances of getting beyond the Nepalese border at significantly below zero. But as I say I haven't looked closely at it, so give it a try and let us know.

Edited by asdecas
  • Like 1

I think it is better to enter Bangladesh and go to Myanmar from there. It is difficult to travel in the North-eastern states of India, and even dangerous. And you need a lot of special permits.

Edited by AloisAmrein

To go through Myanmar isnt possible yet. To enter Myanmar from the thai side = Mae Sot has just been allowed with lots of paperworks arranged in advance and official reckognised guides riding more or less along you and there has been 3-4 Groups that have done it. But no way you can cross the whole country from India to Thailand. And to go through the northeastern states of India is also difficult as you need special permits, Indian driving licence etc.

It is possible to go through China but also there there is a hell of a lot of paperwork that need to be cleared in advance and expensive guides are mandatory.

But ask Your questiones in the site "Horizons unlimited.com" which is a huge information/forum site for overland travelling or the site "GoldenTriangle riders" that has information about Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam riding.

Edited by Mangkhut

I haven't researched it but there are numerous pitfalls, and almost certainly prohibitive ones, all along the way, even going as a simple tourist. You would need, inter alia and without a vehicle:

1. Plenty of money and advance permission to enter Bhutan from Nepal. Not cheap and as far as I'm aware not a route allowed to tourists.

Nepal and Bhutan has no common border so to enter Bhutan from Nepal is impossible....cheesy.gif

• Like 1

When you get to Puer, take a tea break and have some PuErCha 普洱茶.

This will be an amazing journey and very well worth the effort.

If you go, many here would probably like to follow along by computer.

When are you going, if you go?

Take me with you if you've got a sidecar.

Nepal and Bhutan has no common border so to enter Bhutan from Nepal is impossible....cheesy.gif

Well, if you look at it historically and current culturally, east bengal (Darjeeling / Gantok) was part of Nepal once, and most still speak Nepali. I ride there often just using my 10 year india visa... no problem. But Bhutan will be the nut to crack!

Edited by StrandedBusinessPerson
  • Like 1

Yes, there is a route. But as others have said, I would be extremely suprised if Myanmar is as open as some people speculate. Certain roads from certain borders may be opening up, but driving through it entirely? Doubtful. Do let us know if you find a way, a lot of people (myself included) are itching to do some motorcycle touring in Myanmar. As for eastern India, might help a bit with the permits if you buy the bike in Delhi, which is easy to do.

Ya, will post as I go. Been all over Tibet, India and of course Nepal on my Enfields, and have 10 year visa to India... riding in the Bihar and East Bengal is not as dangerous as people make out. If you speak Nepali or Hindi that helps.

• Like 1

Woaw!

I'd love to do it with you!

Please let us all follow that fabulois trip!

Please create a blog or fb page about it and post the link here so we can subscribe!

Cheers

Edited by tinom

Well, if you look at it historically and current culturally, east bengal (Darjeeling / Gantok) was part of Nepal once, and most still speak Nepali. I ride there often just using my 10 year india visa... no problem. But Bhutan will be the nut to crack!

Well - lets not make a big story about this. Anyhow most of the territory between Nepal and Bhutan is called Sikkim (which Gangtok is the provincial Capital of - if I remember right...) And Sikkim is a former Kingdom that until 1975 was an indipendant state. And youre most probably right that Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan and East Bengal has a lot of historical and cultural stuff in common.

I dont think Bhutan would be that hard to enter. I rode through parts of Sikkim and through Bhutan last year (entered from Phuntsoling and exited from Samdrup Jongkhar). It was a group tour with everything arranged in advance, but still.... as long as you contact a guide/guide Company in advance and let them arrange it for you - its possible. But it will of course cost some buck.....

• Like 1

Entering from Bangladesh no way. It was the most likely spot in past but with that Rohinga blow out, Id forget that option.

Id say best option would be to enter MYANMAR from China and try to head south and X at Mae Hon Son. I had read there is a cadino up on the north border and is pretty free flowing for gamblers and trade.

Id posit it would be easier to get out than in.

Must be a tough ride on that dinosaur of a machine, at least youll look cool. Lucky to get parts outside India and Nepal as well.

Still reiterate, I tbink China a totally overcrowded and polluted bore. Places that are marked on tbe map are well overdone.

If you ever get into MYANMAR there is always a chance you will get turned back or jailed snd sent to a larger city. I eas caught out 2x in 94 and 96. Once held overnight, once held snd turned back.

• Like 1

If you want to cross Bhutan, hope you are not traveling on a budget.. :-)

I have tried to enter Tibet two times , and was turned back. Almost impossible to enter as a single biker. You need to join a tour...

Hi it is possible, am based in in Bhutan and run motorcycle trips. www.himalayantravelers.com you can ride through Indo-Nepal border, enter Bhutan, exit from east Bhutan near gauwhati and get to Manipur and enter Myanmar. you can email me at [email protected] if you need further infos and contacts. cheers

I'm buying a bike! I really love that part of the world. Would be worth making a documentary of the journey.

sounds like a fantastic trip and if u can make it great job, Have heard for Bhutan u need be on a tour with guide an driver and u need spend min $200./day low season

I have done months an months of bicycling in Tibet an India/Nepal ( almost got to Mustang in 85 but we were arrested 1 day out ;-( ) but it was back in the 80's

if you do this trip please keep us updated!!!!

TIBET: as for tibet - "stranded" the route you posted is to 99% not possible at all. after rawu lake you enter an area of tibet where you will not get a permit at all. not even if you pay a lot. (big tom, a friend of mine did it 2? years ago, they teamed up in kathmandu, got 7pax (1car 4bikes) and they got the permisssion for this part but only in DECEMBER. was VERY cold.

BHUTAN: 200us$ low season 260us$ high season per day (hotel, food, guide with car included - USUALLY NOT for only 1person)

NORTH EAST INDIA: a few posts here do not have much of a clue (enter bhutan from nepal???? what, fly over sikkim?) , you can get the permit and it is not too dangerous. (i reckon crossing pakistan as of now is more dangerous. especially since you, as a foreigner, might be a special target there which is not the case in ne-india

in general - a few month ago it seemd possible to enter myanmar from india and china but that changed after the clashes. even than it was only possible to do it in an organised way. i.e. travel agent and tour-guide with you.

FLY from kathmandu to bangkok.....

ahh, someone mentioned buying a bike in india. well you can buy one but you can not register it in your name unless you are a resident in india.

drivers licence india - doing business there since 15+ years - on motorcylces. NEVER been asked for an drivers licence. with your local on and an international one you will be more than fine.

would be nice to hear you succeded but i do not give you a 1% chance. unless you are forking out A LOT of money. that MIGHT change things but not necessarily so. good luck!

should you need the contact of the agent in yangoon who offered me to get me (my groups actually - again price!!! ) into myanmar from india let me know. but as mentioned the contact tried out after the rohinga and renewed shan issue.

Another issue if he had brass balls and was going to go up the Karakoram to China and on to Tibet (where op not interested in returning anyway). I eanted to do this many years ago (I did the kkh to the border but went back down and on to Chitral and Peshawar)

There are loads of spies along the road from border to Lhasa and anyone taking a foreigner is subject to some serious hassles. There.are very strict instructions not to let foreigners in there. It is also militarily srnsitive. You can proceed up kkh and over sooner or later ending in once mythical Kashgar which like Lhasa the Chinese culturally genocided the place.

OK, so I have slagged China a lot but a trip thru the outer western peripheries of Tibet and down into the area that butts agsinst Burma would be very worthwhile. Of course, its totally closed, but determination might prove a worthy ally.

From there down into Xishuanbana (sp) and then to Lao and on to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

HCMC north to Hanoi and the up to Mongolia, bike as much of that as you can and then train to Poland or Moscow

For me, aside from using Tibet to bypass Myanmar - the only overland that would really count is entering Myanmar via Bangladesh, India or China (into Kachin state), traveling thru the dicey but exotic Shan state and exiting into Thailand the farther south the better. The rest is just bs.

This will no doubt be accomplished by loads of people before the first motorcyclist pulls it off. Owning transport and crossing borders just dont mix, especially in of all places, Myanmar.

PS imo Bangladesh aint gonna open up for years to white devils after that Rohinga massacre. That leaves only East India.

I personally know a guy who owns a Gypsy so I think you can have the papers in your name. He also told me that he might be able to get me (together with my Thai wife only) into Buthan independently. Hes somebig Buddhist dude and knows a bunch of Rinpoche's in the region. Sometimes they come stay with he and his wife in Himachal.

Edited by bangkokburning