Preah Vihear

leebie

hi im visiting the inlaws in sisaket at the begining of july,taking my daughter and bf both farang to the village for the first time ..im wanting to show them he sights does anyone no if preah vihear is open at the moment,

Preah Vihear has been closed from the Thailand side since 2008 and at this moment you can go no further than Sao Thong Chai (14.442358, 104.731666 (End of the road in Thailand) GPS on GE) as the Thai Army has the road closed due to the ICJ ruling forth coming. If you have means it can be accessed from the Cambodian side from Siem Reap.

Edited by khwaibah

on the 24

thx for that didnt think it was that long since i last went,need to think of some where else to take them maybe bottle temple ..any suggestions

Put the aquarium in SiSaket on your list with the bottle temple. If you have the time check out

Phanom Rung Templ just south of Nang Rong on the 24 highway. Fantastic you wont be sorry.

14.5347944638, 102.946806356 (Phahom Rung). Keep your ears and eyes open to the border conditions.

Still worth dropping down to Preah vihear (even though the actual temple is closed from the Thai side) as you can still access the Mor E Daeng cliff which still offers great views across Cambodia.

Edited by MeMock

Still worth dropping down to Preah vihear (even though the actual temple is closed from the Thai side) as you can still access the Mor E Daeng cliff which still offers great views across Cambodia.

No it is not.

No activity at Thai-Cambodian border

ICJ HEARING

No activity at Thai-Cambodian border

The Nation

30204069-01_big.jpg

A photo dated October 19, 2008 shows a Cambodian soldier stands guard at Preah Vihear temple near Cambodian-Thai border in Preah Vihear province, Cambodia. EPA/MAK REMISSA

SI SA KET: -- Traffic to Preah Vihear was closed at Lam Huay Dan Bridge, in Si Sa Ket's Phumsrol village, ahead of the hearings on the Hindu temple at the International Court of Justice on Monday.

Soldiers stationed at the bridge set up a checkpoint to screen people and vehicles entering the area.

Non-residents were not allowed to enter the Phra Viharn National Park, which is adjacent to the Preah Vihear temple ruin.

The road to Mor E-Dang Cliff, a scenic overlook near the trail to Preah Vihear Temple, has been closed since April 6.

Silence rules in villages located near the Thai-Cambodian border, without the Songkran festival celebration.

Banyong Tangsook, chief of Phumsrol village, said that all villagers have remained calm, ahead of the hearing.

The hearing will start today through April 19, following Cambodia’s request for the ICJ’s interpretation of the 1962 ruling concerning a plot of land adjacent to the temple. Cambodia will testify today, starting from 3pm. Thailand’s testimony is scheduled for Wednesday, April 17.

Channel 3 reported on Monday that some villagers, living within the trajectory, have prepared necessary items and are ready to flee home should any clash happen.

-- The Nation 2013-04-15

on the 24

thx for that didnt think it was that long since i last went,need to think of some where else to take them maybe bottle temple ..any suggestions

Put the aquarium in SiSaket on your list with the bottle temple. If you have the time check out

Phanom Rung Templ just south of Nang Rong on the 24 highway. Fantastic you wont be sorry.

14.5347944638, 102.946806356 (Phahom Rung). Keep your ears and eyes open to the border conditions.

That bottle temple is pretty cool. I went there a few years ago with the wife and family. I'll have to check out the aquarium next time I'm there.

Emerald Triangle (Where Laos, Cambodia & Thailand meet)

What's it like getting to the point where the three countries meet?

My mother has a romantic notion of there being a nice road up where you drive up then get out and stand at a point marking the 3 countries.

I explained it won't be like that at all but she's still undeterred from wanting to go there.

map

What's it like driving up to this point at least?

Cheers.

Last time I was there you had to park on the NW corner of the lake where you can see a military camp on the map. Then they won't let you walk beyond this point. You used to be able to go to the actual point where the 3 countries meet but not anymore. Maybe in the future. It's probably not worth your time unless you want to say that you've been there which made it worth it to me a couple times. :)

• Like 2

on the 24

If you go to Phanom Rung, go the extra few kms down the road to Muang Tam. Another Khmer site,much quieter, and to my mind more atmospheric than Phanom Rung.

You can enter from the Cambodian side. They are trying to encourage visitors with free entrance. The road from Siem Reap has been upgraded for movement of troops and materiel, so you can now do a day trip from Siem Reap and transfer to a motor bike to go up the hill. Doesn't seem like the Thai side will be open for a long time and when it does there will be the special extra price for foreigners just for passing the bit of Thai dirt on the way.

Thx for the info hopefully we will check out some of the waterfalls last time they where as dry as snuff but been july maybe there be some rain....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I visited Huai Luang Waterfall in July last year. Lot of water and very nice day.
The water is good for a swim as well.

From this water fall it is only 1-2 drive up to Pah taem national park which is also worth a visit. On the way you can do some shopping at the Thai/Lao boarder.

Some pics taken at Pha Moo E Dang Cliff, and Khao Phra Viharn National Park earlier this year.........smile.png

post-24958-0-72602400-1366732888_thumb.j post-24958-0-43882900-1366733278_thumb.j

post-24958-0-68627500-1366733173_thumb.j post-24958-0-08717000-1366733380_thumb.j

more pics of the temple, the waterfall, and other places of interest in this area, can be found on website in my profile!...............rolleyes.gif