Does Anyone Know Of A Good Place To Hire A Car Long Term Around 1 Year Or More?

My experience with longer-term rentals is that there's no big price break beyond a 3-month rental versus a 12-month rental. There's a whole bunch of reasonably priced, small-to-mid sized sedans on the market now and as pointed out, buying new and selling on a year later won't lose you much money whereas ALL your car rental costs are non-recoverable.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Arthurwait - How difficult would it be to sell a car in 12 mnths time though? I couldnt sit around for a month waiting, if I dropped it by say 15% on a 500,000 bht car (75,000) it would then be worth it but much more than that it would probably be better to lease and I could get a newer one and not have repairs and maintenance to worry about or registration?Also, as a foreigner it is difficult to get finance on a newer car.

I will check Avis out but there is a place in Hua Hin that quoted me 16000/mnth for a Vios (whatever that is), I assume a small compact car.This is almost 200,000 per year. But hassle free.

My experience with longer-term rentals is that there's no big price break beyond a 3-month rental versus a 12-month rental. There's a whole bunch of reasonably priced, small-to-mid sized sedans on the market now and as pointed out, buying new and selling on a year later won't lose you much money whereas ALL your car rental costs are non-recoverable.

+1

Buy a small popular sedan car, like Toyota Viros or Honda City, made in Thailand. Both bullet proof and I personally wouldn't be afraid buying a 2-3 year old model but be careful many pitfalls when buying 2hand.

I just sold a City 06 and I bought it used and had it for about 3.5 years and it lost about 130K bath during that time. Cheap motoring smile.png

Arthurwait - How difficult would it be to sell a car in 12 mnths time though? I couldnt sit around for a month waiting, if I dropped it by say 15% on a 500,000 bht car (75,000) it would then be worth it but much more than that it would probably be better to lease and I could get a newer one and not have repairs and maintenance to worry about or registration?Also, as a foreigner it is difficult to get finance on a newer car.

I will check Avis out but there is a place in Hua Hin that quoted me 16000/mnth for a Vios (whatever that is), I assume a small compact car.This is almost 200,000 per year. But hassle free.

Don't forget the interest. If you financing there is another 60 to 80'k interest, which you have to pay, not only the 75'k for the reduced price after one year.