Honda Crv 2Wd Vs 4Wd

macahoom

The CR-V and Pajero do not have much in common so comments based on the PJS would not be a good guide. There is not that much difference between the 2WD and 4WD PJS anyway apart from the 4WD lever annoying some drivers.

The Captiva has more in common with the CR-V design and I recall some reviews preferring the 4WD version to the FWD but mostly because of the diesel torque which the CR-V does not have.

Really need to drive both versions of the CR-V to know. With minimal ground clearance and no low range, the 4WD CR-V is not likely to be much use off road. If the 4WD is not better than the FWD version you gotta wonder why Honda bother with it. Ski Bunny special perhaps?

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

I concur with Jitar - you're not buying a CR-V to do any real off-roading, and 4WD is only an aid in the absence of traction - which the 2.4L CR-V isn't going to find itself experiencing it unless trying to climb a steep muddy slope it'd probably bottom out on anyway ;)

I concur with Jitar - you're not buying a CR-V to do any real off-roading, and 4WD is only an aid in the absence of traction - which the 2.4L CR-V isn't going to find itself experiencing it unless trying to climb a steep muddy slope it'd probably bottom out on anyway wink.png

The 4wd will also consume more petrol; is heavier and probably accelerate slower than the 2wd.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I suppose the question I'm really asking is: Is there any point in me buying the 4WD? (I will never be driving off-road - not that the CRV is designed for that anyway.)

The only difference spec-wise between the two, other than gear ratios, is the 4WD has a memory on its passenger seat.

Macahoom, I'm not sure if anyone can answer your question categorically but I doubt the 4WD version will offer much unless you drive in slippery conditions. Like many other front wheel drive based systems, the Honda "Real Time" 4WD system normally operates in front wheel drive and only drives the rear axle when the front wheels slip. There is an explanation at: http://www.honda.co.nz/technology/engine/4wd/ In normal driving you probably would not notice the 4WD system unless you get on to a slippery surface like loose gravel or mud. When driving on bitumen, the 4WD system just adds weight and drag.

The FWD CR-V would be OK if you do not plan on driving aggressively or on slippery surfaces. The 2.4L FWD version has 170hp pushing 1.6 tonnes around with stability control. It may not be the fastest ride around but road manners and wheel slip are not likely to be a big problem.

Passenger seat memory? I am with TA on that one, my wife has a good enough memory for both of us and the car. smile.png

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

I've never been a fan of 4wd on underpowered 4-cylender cars. The 4WD drive train adds weight and definitely absorbs some power. Handling is going to be better on 4wd, but you'll lose out on power and weight meaning a slower ride. Considering though that you don't have a lot of power and most of the roads are flat here, it's probably wisest to get the 2wd version. Also, there's not much snow in Thailand. I don't think adverse weather will affect it much either.

I've never been a fan of 4wd on underpowered 4-cylender cars. The 4WD drive train adds weight and definitely absorbs some power. Handling is going to be better on 4wd, but you'll lose out on power and weight meaning a slower ride. Considering though that you don't have a lot of power and most of the roads are flat here, it's probably wisest to get the 2wd version. Also, there's not much snow in Thailand. I don't think adverse weather will affect it much either.

Your a Brave Man to say that here.cheesy.gif

• Like 1