Gf Tourist Visa Usa

FACTS:

Me: Mid-fifties. Four of the last five years by extension of retirement. (I hear that is a plus.) Rent, don't own, but have a car, m/c, and belongings, indicating permanency.

Her: Late thirties. Ten years self-employed, with good record keeping. Rents, doesn't own. Reads, writes and speaks English well.

Us: Together 2-1/2 years.

What supporting documents would you suggest my GF take along to her interview for a tourist visa to the States?

Letters from family/friends re: how long we've been together? House books--hers and mine? Bank records for her, of course, what about me? What else? Anything other than documents?

Thanks.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Suggest a short cover letter briefly outlining your relationship for the last 2.5 years, and your status in Thailand, that is, on a Retirement Extention for the last four years.

She should take your passport, NOT copies, so she can show the retirement extension stamps. Flag these pages.

Also a copy of your lease on apartment/house/condo/whatever. And the Blue Book for your car, if in your name. Perhaps a copy of your retirement paperwork from what ever source.

The presumption in GF visa situations is that if the sponsor, you, is likely to return to Thailand, the GF will, too.

And, her documents.

I’d not really bother with letters from friends, etc.

Mac

As you have no legal relationship with the intended visitor, and if her self-employed business is sufficiently substantial, she could just apply for a visitors visa to visit with friends in Los Angeles or somewhere and you would not have to enter into the picture at all.

• Like 1

Visitor Tourist Visa to the USA is ALL up to her qualfying since you are not legally married.

She will have to show Ties to Thailand and an obligation to return.

Bank accounts, property, Business, Job, letters on Business letterhead from her Boss (if she has one) that she will have a job when returning.

Bank account must show enough funds to cover the trip.

Yes, you can supply a letter saying you will pay for and sponsor her trip. The US Embassy may or may not even look at your letter.

Yes, give her your Original Passport and any supporting evidence or letters that you have resided together and have maintained a relationship for _______ Blank amount of time.

Copies of your Bank Statements showing money.

Remember, the official may not even look at your stuff, but good to be prepared just in case the interviewer does want to see your supporting her and your passport.

If you have a Job here, a letter from your employer will also help showing you will have a job whe you return to Thailand. If Retired, paperwork to show you receive a pension. Can be a W-2 etc.

The main thing is for her NOT to Lie.......................

She must Return to Thailand at the end of her allowed stay and she can not work in the USA.

If you are her boyfriend and support her, she needs to say so, not that you are just a friend sponsoring her.

Lies disqualify people quickly.

Remember the interviewers are good at spotting a lie and asking other questions to trip up a lying applicant.

Good luck. If she does get a Tourist Visa, they are good for Multiple entries for 10 years.

Each entry is limited to 6 months at a time.

It's going to be tough. As mentioned above, it's all about her since the US doesn't allow sponsorships. They won't care how much you make or what you do....unless you're applying for a fiance or marriage visa.

Does she have kids? That helps a bunch.

I've got several friends who have been through this. One got her visa, but she owns a few condos and is from a very hi so family, but has never really had a job. Another didn't and she's had a permanent job for over 10 years at a major company. But doesn't own anything and no kids.

Best of luck!!!!

• Like 1

FWIW, my now wife's first three tourist visas to the U.S. were when she was a GF, didn't own a car, a motorcycle, no job, not house or condo, no meaningful bank account, so she didn't have a bundle of info to pack along to the interview.

All the interviewing ConOff looked at was my passport and the string of Retirement Extensions, altho the first time, I was also asked for a copy of the lease on the house we rented. The first two tourist visas were just 6-monthers, but guess they got tired of seeing ans her third was for 10-years.

Got married, the 10-year visa ran out, applied for another one. Same deal, looked at my passport during the 5-7 minute interview. By then she owned the house, but didn't have to pull out the chanote, not necessary as

it turned out.

Again, as it looked pretty good that I was established here, the presumption was that she'd return too.

Mac

If the two of you have traveled overseas together, showing your concurrent stamps in your passports might help (for establishing your relationship). But as others have said, she really needs to qualify on her own merits; not so much based on a relationship with you. Even if she has her own record of international travel, this will help.

• Like 1

FACTS:

Me: Mid-fifties. Four of the last five years by extension of retirement. (I hear that is a plus.) Rent, don't own, but have a car, m/c, and belongings, indicating permanency.

Her: Late thirties. Ten years self-employed, with good record keeping. Rents, doesn't own. Reads, writes and speaks English well.

What supporting documents would you suggest my GF take along to her interview for a tourist visa to the States?

Letters from family/friends re: how long we've been together? House books--hers and mine? Bank records for her, of course, what about me? What else? Anything other than documents?

Thanks.

If they know about you they will not give her a tourist visa, most likely

For the reason that it is difficult to remove her once she decides to stay

US will assume she intends to stay

• Like 1

Thanks for some good info. Hadn't thought about sending passport, rather than copies.

Your passport and your tie to Thailand is probably the most important thing you have. Be honest from start to finish so you’ll have nothing to hide, or trip up on during the interview. Check your paperwork 10 times, and then check it again. Have your GF show up to the interview on time and dressed business casual. My GF got a 10 year visa with similar circumstances. Considering what you said in the OP, I believe she has a very good chance.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

Shot

• Like 1

FACTS:

Thanks.

Based on the OP, I completely disagree.

• Like 1

FACTS:

Thanks.

This is coming from personal experience, is your disagreement from personal experience?

A Thai with no connection to the US has a much better chance of getting a visa than one with connections, as the US will assume she plans to stay (as they assume everyone who goes to the US plans to stay)

This is just the way immigration thinks.

This is coming from personal experience, is your disagreement from personal experience?

A Thai with no connection to the US has a much better chance of getting a visa than one with connections, as the US will assume she plans to stay (as they assume everyone who goes to the US plans to stay)

It is a single data point. You cannot extrapolate an entire national immigration policy from a single data point. Each case has unique characteristics that, in total, form the adjudication of your case.

I wonder if someone might comment on this - I had the same situation described here: me on retirement visa, gf & I together couple years, etc etc. About a year ago I thought we would visit the US but I had heard all the stories about how tough it is for a visitor's visa. So I called Immigration in DC and spoke to a very helpful officer who, basically, gave me much the same advice that is offered here. However, at one point in our conversation, I asked if it wouldn't make it a whole lot easier if my gf and I were married here in Thailand and then applied for the visa. The immigration Officer flat out said "No, don't get married."

The Officer went on making some other advice and I never asked her why about the 'No' to marriage. Anyone here care to offer a reason?

Thanks.

FACTS:

Thanks.

Yes, my disagreement is from personal experience. Please read post #11.

Sincerely,

Shot

Well, now I'm wondering a bit. But, with all due respect Kilgore, I think you are mistaken here. I've heard many times from folks who agree that my ongoing retirement status is a great plus.

Besides, she absolutely will not lie; if they ask, yes, she has a boyfriend.

Bill1369, any other helpful advice from that call? Where did you get the number, and who did you ask for? Sounds like a good idea.

Bill

My wife's last Tourist Visa was after we'd gotten married. The interview was actually a bit more "difficult," if that's a good word for a 10-minute process. The reason being is that the interviewing ConOff wanted to make sure we just weren't attempting to jump the "IV queue," that's the Immigrant Visa process, starting with the form I-130 and so on, a petition for immigration to the U.S.

This jumping the IV queue is relatively common around the world which is why they watch out for it. Some guys will take their GF to the U.S. then get married there, and apply for an Adjustment of Status from Tourist to PRA, Permanent Resident Alien, ie, a Green Card holder. While this isn't illegal, it's frowned upon, and if the U.S. Immigration folks really feel that was the intent of the couple when they applied for the Tourist Visa to begin with, the application for Adjustment may be denied as the Tourist Visa was obtained under false pretenses. I've had a couple of friends from here who've gone this route because they didn't want to do all the paperwork here and wait the several months to go to the U.S.

So, my having at the time of her last Tourist Visa application a string of 8-10 years of Retirement Extensions, bank accounts here, car ownership, and even a few U.S. magazines delivered here, with the mailing labels, added to my package. Even the Social Security mailings and IRS come here. All added up, so the visa was issued to my wife with no further questions to her.

BTW, this was when I could still accompany her up to the interview window, can't do that now, so for next visa I'll gather up all my info and have it neatly packaged right upfront for her to show. Then if asked, her package will be available.

Mac

• Like 1

Im late to this thread, but here is my two baht:

Biggest hurdle is self employment, so copies of her business lic and tax records for as long as possible. In lieu of letter guarantee from employer. Ultility bills, like elec oldest and newest from shop/office.

Vehicle title

Bank book/s

Lease agreement her flat

Itinerary of your plans, precisely.

*Travel imo is way better than going someplace and "visiting"

Photos of you two together in different places and or events. A bunch of dog photos in your garden, not so much.

Your original passport

Photocopies of past visas and/or extensions.

A NOTE of introduction, half page (which like photos will be ignored).

Properly attired. Dress, blouse, low heels or flats. Smile.

Your biggest hurdle imo is the self employment. If shes late 30s and decent verifiable job - not just selling stuff out of a shop, you should have no problem.

Edited by bangkokburning

NEW QUESTIONS:

On the application, it asks for an "inventory control" number from the GF's Thai passport. Anyone know if Thai passports have such?

If she is refused a tourist visa, do they tell her the reason for denying it?

How long before she can try again?