Restaurant Dog

vickersvc10

A friend of mine was bitten (blood was drawn) by a dog owned by the manager of a ferang-type restaurant very close to the entrance to the Yensabai Condo. The dog's owner refuses to compensate my friend for the cost of the rabies jabs he sensibly had done, and has admitted that the dog has bitten other people.

My friend went to the Tourist Police who were very helpful but said they could do nothing either to help him get compensation or have the dog muzzled. They referred him to the Soi 9 police who said that it was a civil matter and nothing to do with them!

In my view, dogs should not be allowed into restaurants. This particular one even wanders into the kitchen.

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what my friend should do now (if anything)? I would love to post the name of the restaurant but realise that it would be censored.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the location try the local Amphur or Pattaya City Council. Nong Prue has licensing officers & one of their responsibilities is handling dog complaints - it's a long shot but worth checking out.

as for dog complaints, people in my soi have sucessfully remove aggressive pests in the past by contacting city hall too, the procedure is quite funny, they asks for picture of the offending animal and came in one day, only picking up the one dog we said was biting random people, leaving other dogs in peace. It was like a mob hit. biggrin.png

If they do turn up to the restaurant the owner could claim ownership of the dog.... does it have collar?

as for dog complaints, people in my soi have sucessfully remove aggressive pests in the past by contacting city hall too, the procedure is quite funny, they asks for picture of the offending animal and came in one day, only picking up the one dog we said was biting random people, leaving other dogs in peace. It was like a mob hit. biggrin.png

If they do turn up to the restaurant the owner could claim ownership of the dog.... does it have collar?

"Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what my friend should do now (if anything)?"

If you're talking about compensation for the medical treatment, that would seem to be a civil matter, which presumably would mean hiring a lawyer ... probably costing more than the treatment cost.

If you're talking about seeking retribution, it sounds like the hassle for you is going to be greater than the satisfaction gained from pi__ing off the restaurant owner, assuming he feels any great attachment to the dog to begin with. Once your friend takes the photo of the dog (as outlined above) and presents his case to the appropriate authorities, they may be reluctant to swing into action if he's the sole complainant and/or there are no witnesses willing to come forward to identify the particular dog.

If you mean how can your friend avoid getting bitten again. Surely he could locate a relatively dog-free restaurant. Since you seem to be familiar with the dog's daily routine, including his visits to the kitchen, and his history as a biter, why would you/he want to eat there in the first place? Possibly there's more to the story than we are being told ... aside from the prospect of dog hair in the <snip> ??

Edited by craigt3365
removed Thai characters.

"Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what my friend should do now (if anything)?"

If you're talking about compensation for the medical treatment, that would seem to be a civil matter, which presumably would mean hiring a lawyer ... probably costing more than the treatment cost.

If you're talking about seeking retribution, it sounds like the hassle for you is going to be greater than the satisfaction gained from pi__ing off the restaurant owner, assuming he feels any great attachment to the dog to begin with. Once your friend takes the photo of the dog (as outlined above) and presents his case to the appropriate authorities, they may be reluctant to swing into action if he's the sole complainant and/or there are no witnesses willing to come forward to identify the particular dog.

If you mean how can your friend avoid getting bitten again. Surely he could locate a relatively dog-free restaurant. Since you seem to be familiar with the dog's daily routine, including his visits to the kitchen, and his history as a biter, why would you/he want to eat there in the first place? Possibly there's more to the story than we are being told ... aside from the prospect of dog hair in the ??

If you mean how can your friend avoid getting bitten again. Surely he could locate a relatively dog-free restaurant. Since you seem to be familiar with the dog's daily routine, including his visits to the kitchen, and his history as a biter, why would you/he want to eat there in the first place? Possibly there's more to the story than we are being told ... aside from the prospect of dog hair in the ??

surely support the analysis as described in the last sentence

Edited by craigt3365

There is Public Health department at City Hall that does restaurants inspection,

They would have something to say about dogs in kitchen

Health Inspector has something to say?

Yea, like "get rid of that mangy dog" or... "hand over an extra 500Bt this month"......

I do not understand why the owner refused to compensate or do anything at all. I do not think its a full story

Is it possible that the dog has been vaccinated and hence why owner is refusing to pay for unneeded shots?

Just rather strange response from the owner for something like 2000 baht

Rabies vaccine combined with antibiotic injection 220 baht plus medical fee probably 440 baht total. Govt hospital..

After 10 days just go back to where restaurant is,see if dog is still there and alive ,if it is,no rabies

Edited by pinfold

Rabies vaccine combined with antibiotic injection 220 baht plus medical fee probably 440 baht total. Govt hospital..

After 10 days just go back to where restaurant is,see if dog is still there and alive ,if it is,no rabies

Oh, great! And you should be so happy that you were bitten by a healthy dog! Lucky you!!!

I do not understand why the owner refused to compensate or do anything at all. I do not think its a full story

Is it possible that the dog has been vaccinated and hence why owner is refusing to pay for unneeded shots?

I dont believe its the same story as well, as from the OP the dog is almost always in the restaurant so used to having people around it. Therefore not likely to have a quick bite at the customers of the restaurant as it will ruin his restaurants business. Maybe the ''friend of the OP'' kicked the dog away to have a relaxing dinner and then it got bitten but i wasnt there so only the OP can tell us the whole story :)

A lot of hassle about this dog and the owner of it which as well have a restaurant.

Imo, its the dog of the restaurants owner so if the owner wants his dog to walk or lay down in his restaurant its up the owner. You as the customer can decide if you would like to eat in his establishment or not, thats your choice again :)

About the compensation, i was bitten even by a dog of the neighbors and i didnt even consider to ask for a compensation for the rabies shots. Sorry to say but i guess you live in Thailand for quite some time so you should now its NOT the same as back in Europe or the States where you can ask for a compensation if you are bitten by a dog of someone else.

I dont believe its the same story as well, as from the OP the dog is almost always in the restaurant so used to having people around it. Therefore not likely to have a quick bite at the customers of the restaurant as it will ruin his restaurants business. Maybe the ''friend of the OP'' kicked the dog away to have a relaxing dinner and then it got bitten but i wasnt there so only the OP can tell us the whole story smile.png

A lot of hassle about this dog and the owner of it which as well have a restaurant.

Imo, its the dog of the restaurants owner so if the owner wants his dog to walk or lay down in his restaurant its up the owner. You as the customer can decide if you would like to eat in his establishment or not, thats your choice again smile.png

About the compensation, i was bitten even by a dog of the neighbors and i didnt even consider to ask for a compensation for the rabies shots. Sorry to say but i guess you live in Thailand for quite some time so you should now its NOT the same as back in Europe or the States where you can ask for a compensation if you are bitten by a dog of someone else.

Thais ask for and receive compensation, so why wouldn't you?

• Like 1

i live in yensabai condo and the only dog ive seen outside the cafe is always laid down with its nails painted and it does have a collar, ive never been in said cafe cos i dont eat dead animals but the dog seems very inoffensive to me and never bothers anyone (perhaps not same dog but its the only one ive seen reguarly).

I dont believe its the same story as well, as from the OP the dog is almost always in the restaurant so used to having people around it. Therefore not likely to have a quick bite at the customers of the restaurant as it will ruin his restaurants business. Maybe the ''friend of the OP'' kicked the dog away to have a relaxing dinner and then it got bitten but i wasnt there so only the OP can tell us the whole story :)

Imo, its the dog of the restaurants owner so if the owner wants his dog to walk or lay down in his restaurant its up the owner. You as the customer can decide if you would like to eat in his establishment or not, thats your choice again :)

Thais ask for and receive compensation, so why wouldn't you?

Ask - yes, receive- would not go that far.

juliusk, on 01 May 2013 - 14:16, said:

Maybe the ''friend of the OP'' kicked the dog away to have a relaxing dinner and then it got bitten but i wasnt there so only the OP can tell us the whole story smile.png

Why not ask the OP rather than make up stories. As you said "you weren't there" so why make up stories.

Imo, its the dog of the restaurants owner so if the owner wants his dog to walk or lay down in his restaurant its up the owner. You as the customer can decide if you would like to eat in his establishment or not, thats your choice again smile.png

If you think it OK for dogs (live meat not dead) to be in restaurants I'd hate to think what you allow in and around your house. I hope I never become a neighbor.

Maybe the ''friend of the OP'' kicked the dog away to have a relaxing dinner and then it got bitten but i wasnt there so only the OP can tell us the whole story smile.png

Why not ask the OP rather than make up stories. As you said "you weren't there" so why make up stories.

If you think it OK for dogs (live meat not dead) to be in restaurants I'd hate to think what you allow in and around your house. I hope I never become a neighbor.

Ok here it goes Keesters :)

First of all, i am not making up any stories, just a insinuation about a possiblity how this situation of the OP could happened..

About your 2nd quote, its none of my or your business to interfere how the owner of that restaurant runs his business. If he wants to have pigs in his restaurant, thats his decision. Its the decision of the potential customers like you and me to decide to order some food inthere or not.

Dont have any clue what you mean about you hoping to never become my neighbor, anyways i not even bother to reply to that part of your quote :)

i live in yensabai condo and the only dog ive seen outside the cafe is always laid down with its nails painted and it does have a collar, ive never been in said cafe cos i dont eat dead animals but the dog seems very inoffensive to me and never bothers anyone (perhaps not same dog but its the only one ive seen reguarly).

Uh huh, we see how you are. Sneaking up on poor, defenseless plants and consuming them for your own pleasure. You should be ashamed of yourself. tongue.png

As far as the OP, tell your friend to bite the dog back. Turnabout is fair play after all. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Loptr

Ok here it goes Keesters smile.png

First of all, i am not making up any stories, just a insinuation about a possiblity how this situation of the OP could happened..

About your 2nd quote, its none of my or your business to interfere how the owner of that restaurant runs his business. If he wants to have pigs in his restaurant, thats his decision. Its the decision of the potential customers like you and me to decide to order some food inthere or not.

Dont have any clue what you mean about you hoping to never become my neighbor, anyways i not even bother to reply to that part of your quote smile.png

Are there health laws that come into play here as one poster suggested because of the dog in the kitchen?

Edited by watcharacters

Ok here it goes Keesters smile.png

Dont have any clue what you mean about you hoping to never become my neighbor, anyways i not even bother to reply to that part of your quote smile.png

insinuate: to hint, imply. If that is not making up stories then both you and I don't know what is. And only the OP knows the whole story. Ask him if you have a problem with what he's said. No need to try and imply or hint at things that he never said. You're as bad as those TV CSI blokes on the murder/suicide threads. None were there but they all seems to think they know what happened.

Regarding what the restaurant owner can and cannot have in his restaurant is not just HIS business. It is the business of the health department as well. They have rules I'm sure. What they are I'll not try and make up, hint or imply at. Do you think they would allow a dog or a pig in a restaurant?

Edited by Keesters