The End Of Uk Family Visit Visa Appeals

I, for one, fully understand the reason for this change. The UK has been inundated by "family visitors" who have somehow become permanent residents.

Any attempts to get these "illegal immigrants" to leave have been blocked by "loopholes" resulting in hundreds of thousands of immigrants entering the country by alternative means that those already in place. Many of these attempts have come up against the intransigence of the ECHR, who incidentally, are now trying to remove any rights that the UK has to reject applications for residence from "welfare" immigrants.

If we do not place some sort of restrictions on the influx, then all of us who continue to pay taxes in our home country will see them being frittered away by the welfare state providing support for these "extended families".

Agreed.

This statement sums up the sensibility of the ending of the old procedure.

>By removing the right of appeal, we are bringing the family visitor visa in line with all other visitor visa categories. Applicants who are refused can re-apply addressing the reasons for refusal instead of appealing. This will be quicker and cost less than an appeal. In 2011-12 95% of applications were decided within 15 days, whereas the appeal system can take up to 8 months to deliver a result.

Civil servants have to process thousands of these appeals every year and that costs money.

If the paperwork is correct and the applicant is a genuine visitor there should be no problem with obtaining a family visit visa.

Thai Visa can you explain why you think this is "very bad news"?

My heart bleeds for the poor over worked civil servants. Then they need to get their decision right the first time. Why assume the applicant is the one who got it wrong.

The question people should be asking is why does an appeal take 8 months. I assume because of the back log.

The UKBA/home Office have shown themselves to be out of their depth on many occasions. Sadly removing the right to appeal will get rid of a safeguard but not one that seems to result in a change to the way visas are processed.

The UKBA don't bother to attend all appeals! They don't seem to be bothered if they get it wrong now so I am not sure things will be different appeals process or not.

The one safeguard that remains (and seems to have been doing a good job IMO) is the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration. These will now, presumably come under his quality control remit. Part of his job is to monitor failures in the system especially cases where there is no right to appeal. It is unfortunate that the Chief Inspector is unable to deal with individual cases.

Much of the disastrous failings of the old UKBA have been brought to public attention through the work of his department.

I think the truth is Bob they are trying to assign the staff to more pressing matters than appeals by tourists.

There is no doubt the Border Agency is understaffed and overwhelmed by their workload.

A lot of the blame must rest at the feet of the last government who allowed around 10 million extra people the right to live in the UK.

That figure does not cover illegal immigration.

There are more pressing matters to attend to such as the deportation of convicted terrorists and felons who have abused the hospitality of the British people.

As for the question why do appeals take so long well I'm afraid that is the timeline for a lot of the UK legal system and public offices.

A bog standard planning application for a small extension takes the best part of three months and costs a lot more than £80!

If you think UK immigration gives people a hard time you should try the USA.

I have been trying to go back to the UK for a number of years now. I finally got up the steam to get a job in the UK (about a month back), then was told that I would probably not be able to get a family visit visa for the wife.

Who told you that your wife would probably not be successful at a family visit visa?

There are other options. Your wife can apply for a settlement visa as you've already stated that you want out of LOS.

I'm slightly confused at your post, AngryParent. It doesn't make sense.

Angry Parent has been posting for some time about his 'difficulties, going well back before the rule changes last July.

He has been given much advice, over a lengthy period and from what he said at the time had his wife applied before last July she would probably have been successful, as he was advised at the time.

I think that his saying "I have been trying to go back to the UK for a number of years now. I finally got up the steam to get a job in the UK (about a month back)" tells us all we need to know about the effort he has, or rather hasn't, put into this!

The prospect of his wife obtaining a family visitor visa while he spends 6 months working in the UK to meet the financial requirement has also previously been discussed at length. Whilst I admit to being dubious about this at first, the experience of other members who have successfully done so has proven me wrong.

I suspect that there is much AP is not telling us about his situation.

But this is not the place for discussion about anyone's specific situation.

A rather cheap shot from you.

You claim I have not put effort into going back. Who are you to judge me??? What do you know about what I have or have not done? You haven't even given me a penny in my life but claim to say I have not done anything. F_____

Pathetic and just shows how low you go, when one is down you kick them. The rest of your post is further nonsense with inuendos etc.

Edited by AngryParent

A rather cheap shot from you.

Don't take 7by7's post personally, AngryParent.

Maybe the underlying message is to get on with it and cut out the indolence rather than a cheap shot.

Actions speak louder than words and you could just get on with it.

7by7 has openly stated he does not like me when he was in control of this forum. Your positive attitude is nice though.

As for actions... does anyone know how many years I have spent trying to take care of my Thai wife and son? Does anyody know how long it has taken for me to be in a position to afford to pay for visas, tickets, return home etc??? Where they there when I was in the hospital and was scared about the costs of my son's birth? Were they there when I was worried about Thai employers treating me like a slave and stealing money from my salary (or deporting me because I did not bow down and take it)? Where they there when I dreamt of going home each day, but could never afford the visas or meet the requirments all those years back???

Where they there when, after a long time of trying to get a job in the UK (from this part of the world - but because I was not there employers ignored me), I finally spent thousands of pounds for the flight back to get a job that met the initially criteria (money that was hard to spent), cheap b & b s daily costs... only to be told that a salary that was offered, although it met the spouse visa would not ensure the spouse visit visa (I cannot be apart to almost a year as it is unaffordable).

When I asked for help on here the only person that had the kindness to reply was "the old git". All those in the past that attacked me vanished. Even citizens advise in the UK did not have an answer (as they are not trained up to that level). The Migrant something just did not even give me an appointment to see them (as my permanent adress was in Thailand) and the same for a few other "publically funded" immigration services. I could not get legal aid (as it has been stopped for immigration matters). All that was left was to get back on a flight to Thailand and be with my Thai family (minus thousands of pounds that takes years to save in Thailand).

So, scre____ all that want to be judgemental and negative to me. They are all the same as maggie, Cameron, Nick Griffin and Hitle___.

All those in the past that attacked me vanished.

That's Thai Visa for you. You post your life and expect to get positive and negative response.

On a positive note, you appear to be better situated in the here and now, so get on with it.

Why would you need Citizens Advice for your wife's visit visa application?

If you want help, you'll need to keep it concise to one or two pertinent questions that strikes the heart of the matter, whatever that is.

I am more than happy to offer support and assistance to any member of the forum. If I don't know the answer, I sure can seek the answer elsewhere.

One stop shops offer far more than the populous.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Before taking AP seriously, read his past posts.

Not only those on returning to the UK with his family, but also those on his moving to another EEA country and those on his obtaining Thai citizenship.

You will notice that I am not the only one who has tried to help him only to be flamed and insulted for my efforts.

His posts on those topics are mostly very similar to the above; flames against those who have tried to help him because they tell him stuff he doesn't want to hear and constant attempts to prove he is right and everyone else wrong by cherry picking obscure, out of context notes from official publications.

I have no idea about his personal circumstances, but the persona he presents here does not encourage people to help him; quite the opposite in fact.

OK I think this thread has reached a natural conclusion and we can draw a line under it.

I'm grateful for Tony advising us of the change in regulations, as always, some agree with the decision and some think it's wrong.

Thank you all for the healthy debate, but I think we can now close this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app