Monthly Rentals ! Do I Barter Or Is The Price Negotiatable

timaloy

Hi All...I will be looking at 6 month rentals soon...quick question...is the price stated usually the price to pay or is it the norm to barter or is the price usually non negotiable...I know in the uk the price asked is usually the price payed...but ive heard Thailand is the land of barter...if barter is the norm what % do i ask for in reduction...I dont want to offend anyone if barter is wrong .cheers all

Edited by timaloy

Not sure where you are looking but normally the longer you plan to stay the more wriggle room there is in the prices, 12 months seems to be the standard period where I am so maybe wont be a lot of room on a 6 month rental. Some places are sensibly priced so maybe wont come down and some way over priced so maybe open to negotiation. You really need to get a feel for the area you are staying.

• Like 1

Everything and anything for sale in Thailand is negotiable, including rents. Had an American on transfer for 6 months rent a house in the same village in Jomtien as me. His secretary secured the rental online and probably thought it was a bargain by New York standards. He was paying more than 3 times what I was paying for the same standard of house, and for the same 6 month lease period.

The longer you lease, the more discount. A typical comparison using hypothetical numbers might be:

1 month - 15,000

6 months - 12,000/mth (or less, and might include electricity/water/cable TV etc, or might not)

12 months 10,000/mth ( ditto)

And the most powerful negotiating tool is your feet. If things aren't going your way in negotiating a lease, just smile, thank them for their time, and say you have a better value offer somewhere else. A counter offer will inevitably be forthcoming.

Don't forget that you will pay a bond and if you leave before the lease period, you forfeit your bond. Take photos of the inside and outside, make sure the landlord sees you doing this as evidence of damages that can be claimed later etc.

Ask for a comprehensive list of all the assets in the property and make sure it is all there. Bit annoying to be leaving after 6 months and they tell you there's a missing TV, a fan, and 15 teaspoons!!

• Like 1

We got 5000 per month discount for a longer term rent. In our place in Bangkok we were paying 25k per month, there was an identical place a few floors down for 17k, so we gave notice. When asked why we were leaving we told the owner who promptly discounted to 17k. Might as well try.

That's right - done the same thing myself and rarely fails. It's a supply demand thing. There is an oversupply of rental properties especially during low season. However, you get the occasional landlord who can't do math very well. You can ask for a 5,000 baht/month discount and they won't wear it. Then you ask how long has the place been vacant - 6 months (and probably will be for 6 more months). Go Figure!

Why is everyone assuming the rental the OP is talking about is accomdation..?

Could be a car

Could be Thai lady...tongue.png

Actually, I just realised my earlier advice could equally apply to both of these except for the reference to the missing teaspoons etc. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Try your luck and ask for a reduction seeing as though you are staying for six months,there must surely be a discount in there for you.

you did mention that you were wanting to barter with the owner/landlord.

I am a little curious though as to what you are offering in exchange for the accommodation !!!

I'll give you two turnips for your three cabbages kind of thing.

(sorry,just having a little wind up)

Good luck with your haggling thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Why is everyone assuming the rental the OP is talking about is accomdation..?

Could be a car

Could be Thai lady...tongue.png

Actually, I just realised my earlier advice could equally apply to both of these except for the reference to the missing teaspoons etc. whistling.gif

The tea spoons could apply if your kinky that way...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Some people may disagree but have you tried using an agent?? They can often get you a good price as they know the owner and know the owners limits taking away the guesswork.

You don't have to pay them they get commission on each customer who rents.

Some folk think the office is the best place but believe me they also get commission.

• Like 1

Always try to negotiate everything here in Thailand! Don't worry one bit about offending someone!!! That will be your worst enemy.

6 months is a rather short time, but one thing you can always negotiate with here, is CASH in advance! But first try at least 10-20% discount, for no reason, just ask ...then after getting the answer, which may be some sort of discount, because they are always expecting this question ...then ask what kind of discount for paying all in advance, or 3 months, and then 3 months again? Or have your own price and offer that.

HOWEVER, if you do this, please be aware of any services that are included ...and maybe do NOT pay in advance for those, or negotiate it out of the deal. For example, I negotiated a big discount for 12 months in advance, plus 2 months security deposit, for an expensive place, which included a gardener, internet and a few things. (Owner said she already paid 12 month internet contract to secure a discount, and could I please pre-pay that as well?) Then, of course!!! once she had my money for all that period, she never did one thing, the internet was NOT prepaid, and got disconnected several times, until I went and paid it myself, the gardener never came once in that year, etc. Once they have your money upfront, they will probably do NOTHING that they promised to do, so just negotiate those things OUT of the deal.

And seriously I mean they will probably do NOTHING, so if they promise to put in a hot water heater, or a set of curtains, or ANY LITTLE thing, make sure they DO it, before you give them the money!!!! Otherwise, kiss it goodbye!

• Like 2

Negotiate.

I`m only a rolling monthly contract but have stayed at the same place for 3 years.

Someone new looking to rent was quoted double what I am paying.

Have a chat, talk.

Another place offered 33 % discount for a year compared to monthly.

Some people may disagree but have you tried using an agent?? They can often get you a good price as they know the owner and know the owners limits taking away the guesswork.

Some folk think the office is the best place but believe me they also get commission.

Actually I have to disagree. I've used an agent and they got one month's rent as commission. The owner said to me after we had used the agent that she wished we had called her directly as she could have reduced the rent for the 6 month period and we both would have been better off. True to her word, she reduced the rent for the 2nd term of 6 months. And she was a great landlady, fixed everything promptly and even bought us a wedding present. I've rented 3 houses over the last 3 years and had no trouble with landlords/landladies at all.

It never hurts to negotiate, if you do so politely and with a smile. Give the place some mild praise and say you like it, but that it's a little above your budget and whether they could discount it a little. With the right tone of voice, this often works wonders.

Good luck.

T

When I was staying in Phuket, my European landlord gave me a 10% discount on the short term.

Depends upon the landlord and it helps if he knows who you are, and that you are good for the rent. I was lucky as I had been in the building and the ladies that cleaned my flat, did his units as well, said I was one of the better residents as I was clean and there wasn't much to do.

I was lucky to have the European landlord because he didn't try to scam me on deposits or additional charges.

Actually I have to disagree. I've used an agent and they got one month's rent as commission. The owner said to me after we had used the agent that she wished we had called her directly as she could have reduced the rent for the 6 month period and we both would have been better off. True to her word, she reduced the rent for the 2nd term of 6 months. And she was a great landlady, fixed everything promptly and even bought us a wedding present. I've rented 3 houses over the last 3 years and had no trouble with landlords/landladies at all.

But did you know the owner to start off with?

The market is booming.

Condos are being built up left right and center

It is definitely a time to negotiate anywhere and in Thailand all the more.

Don't be fooled by flashy established looking places, as said previously if they refuse, smile and walk away, there many products on the market

But did you know the owner to start off with?

Nope, didn't know the owner of any of the places I've rented. I just drive around the villages looking for the Rent/Sale signs and call the number on the sign. It's usually the number of the owner. In my experience the owner will come and see you virtually immediately or a neighbour will hold a key and let you in. When you talk on the phone the first time the owner will give you some clues as to their willingness to discount etc. It does pay to know some Thai or have a Thai speaker with you. All my landladies could speak English but they are a little relieved when they can speak Thai. However when negotiating the rent don't let your Thai wife do this for you, do it yourself. The reason is that sometimes the Thai age/respect cultural thing becomes an issue.

• Like 1

We got 5000 per month discount for a longer term rent. In our place in Bangkok we were paying 25k per month, there was an identical place a few floors down for 17k, so we gave notice. When asked why we were leaving we told the owner who promptly discounted to 17k. Might as well try.

i suspect you may need to revisit the math portion of this post

• Like 1

And seriously I mean they will probably do NOTHING, so if they promise to put in a hot water heater, or a set of curtains, or ANY LITTLE thing, make sure they DO it, before you give them the money!!!! Otherwise, kiss it goodbye!

I always thought but now I know I have got the best landlord in Thailand,she does anything I ask as does it straight away,great lady

• Like 1