Nong Khai Border Crossing Via Taxi

Guess I should have really been paying attention more the last time I was there. Last time we took a taxi from home up to Nong Khai, and he dropped us off at the small bus station before the bridge. This time around I'm looking to do an immediate u-turn, will already have both a Laos and Thai visa, so no need to apply for anything. Just need to say hello to the immigration officers, and get my stamps. Afterwards, I need to immediately head to the Udon Thani airport to catch a flight.

I'm wondering, is it possible to do this with one taxi? My apologies, but I can't really remember the layout of the border. Obviously, the taxi driver won't be coming into Laos with me, so first, is he allowed to drive me all the way up to the Laos border? Then after I cross the Laos border, how far away is it to the Thai border? Is it walking distance? Or maybe a quick bus ride, and the taxi can meet me there? Is there any restrictions on which taxis they allow into these areas, so close to the border crossings?

Would prefer to stick with the one guy if possible. We know each other, he's local, honest, etc. Saves me from dealing with any hustlers I find at the border, and gives an honest man a little extra money.

Edited by Nautilus05

To pass the bridge (the actual border) it's about 1 kilometer or less, there are buses going op and down all the time, no worries just buy the 30 bath ticket on both sides.

Minibuses from Udonth to the border are 200 baht, from the border they charge 500-600 for a single passenger ride, or wait a little bit longer and share a minivan back to the airport so you can so for 200b again.

Taxi can wait for you at the 7/11 store just before Thai Immigration, or there is a pay parking lot across the highway opposite side just before opposite 7/11.

It will take you about an hour to get out, bus to Lao side, and a little less time coming back, depending on how many people are waiting for Lao visa on arrival..... if I read you correctly.

Make sure you check the immigration stamps are correct, Thai officials famous for incorrect dates stamps at Nong Khai.

ie my visa was good till March 31 2013 they stamp March 13 2013. Sakhon Nakhon Immigration cleared it up only because I went to them before the March 13 stamp for my one years extension to 2014 and the wrote a note in my passport beside the incorrect date, basically telling Nong Khai they were <deleted>.

Taxi can wait for you at the 7/11 store just before Thai Immigration, or there is a pay parking lot across the highway opposite side just before opposite 7/11.

It will take you about an hour to get out, bus to Lao side, and a little less time coming back, depending on how many people are waiting for Lao visa on arrival..... if I read you correctly.

Make sure you check the immigration stamps are correct, Thai officials famous for incorrect dates stamps at Nong Khai.

ie my visa was good till March 31 2013 they stamp March 13 2013. Sakhon Nakhon Immigration cleared it up only because I went to them before the March 13 stamp for my one years extension to 2014 and the wrote a note in my passport beside the incorrect date, basically telling Nong Khai they were <deleted>.

For some reason I cannot edit, so you have the Lao visa cuts your time In half, misread your post early in the morning.

I don't think it will be a problem. Your guy will wait for you at Thai border in Nong Khai, you will take short bus ride over bridge, go through Laos immigration and get stamped in, turn around, get stamped out of Laos, bus back across bridge, stamped back into Thailand, and walk to where driver waiting. Approximately 30 mins depending on queues etc I would guess.

Lot simpler process with no visas required