American Cheated By Late Thai Wife Of 20 Million Baht Wants His Assets Back

webfact

somehow the man sounds completely without any friends....

I have been here over 7 years now and after reading/hearing all the stories about Thai girls ripping off Farangs am not stupid enough to put any assets into a Thai girls name.

However one thing I have come to realise here is that when the shit hits the fan then you haven't really got any friends here that will be willing to back you up if things were to turn violent as not a lot of Farangs want to take on Thais

I should move on then, mate.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the club dude, my ex took much more than that and my 3 kids, tried to have me killed 3 times, had me arrested on false charges twice.... this is thailand, a Thai lie is much whiter than any farang truth..

You are as lucky as you are foolish,dude.

Feel sorry for the guy, but don't understand how he let this happen. How can she have embezzled the money without him knowing? Didn't he check his bank accounts regularly? Things like this are bound to happen if you're so careless with your money.

For all the Thai bashers - this also happens in USA and UK.

The report doesn't say that she embezzled money, its says "embezzled 11 million baht of the company’s assets" so maybe she transferred some physical assets such as buildings and property into her own name or the names of her relatives.

That wouldn't be as easy to detect as money flowing out of your bank account.

i think its difficult enough to find justice in the western world, let alone thailand, the only justice you will get is the justice you make.

There was a great movie i seen many years ago, it was about a group of underworld hi profile figures who served justice outside the legal system, when the legal system failed this group stepped in, does anyone recall this movie?

Star Chamber?

thanks midasthailand, i will look it up, cheers

It takes auacity to assume that you can do business in another person's country and because you are upper-middle class (on the socioeconomic ladder, by Western standards) that somehow the arms of justice will extend to you. Thailand is a beautiful country full of beautiful, gentle people. It's also a developing country with an extremely problematic view of the importance of the rule of law and basic equality (if you think about how Thais generally treat other Thais in the lower social classes and Burmese/Cambodian migrants, you will realize how fortunate you are to have white skin in such a country). Would you expect to make a killing and live like a king in Sudan? Certainly not. Thailand may have paved roads and sparkling high-rises that Sudan doesn't have, but the mindsets of the people in both countries are similarly evolved.

• Like 2

Well, at least he is lucky he did not have to go through the drug and kidnap style of monetary extraction.... :-) Given the widespread usage of the internet, and the fact these types of stories are well known, I am always somewhat surprised to see them occur on a regular basis here....

A couple of years ago a good friend of mine put about 1 million dollars into a resort in the southern islands. In his wife's name of course as per Thai law. When things turned bad with his wife, he wanted to recover a part of his money back, so he sent down a lawyer to see her.When his lawyer came back, he was very scared and told my friend to forget about ever seeing a dollar back. I gave him the same advice if he wanted to keep living. He walked away, and is still alive and well..

Someone told me this exact same story. but now he's still dealing with a lawyer to get his money back from the girl for the investment on koh tao..

i think its difficult enough to find justice in the western world, let alone thailand, the only justice you will get is the justice you make.

There was a great movie i seen many years ago, it was about a group of underworld hi profile figures who served justice outside the legal system, when the legal system failed this group stepped in, does anyone recall this movie?

Star Chamber?

thanks midasthailand, i will look it up, cheers

thanks again midasthailand, i found the movie on piratebay, i wanted to watch this movie for a long time but couldnt remember the name

Feel sorry for the guy, but don't understand how he let this happen. How can she have embezzled the money without him knowing? Didn't he check his bank accounts regularly? Things like this are bound to happen if you're so careless with your money.

For all the Thai bashers - this also happens in USA and UK.

Maybe, but that's a little misleading. First of all, these kinds of things happen in a courtroom in the U.S. or the U.K. There are necessarily lawyers involved who can help the idjits who got themselves into the mess they're in to understand the nature of that mess. There also is standardized approach to adjudicating such cases that is enshrined and codified in decades and sometimes centuries of practice, constitutional guarantees, and a commitment to treating all parties equally under the law. Despite the country's many virtues, I'm afraid you can't say the same about such things in Thailand. Thailand offers quick, easy money for people who have the stomach (not the mention the wits and capital) for the ups and downs of doing business in the developing world. It never ceases to amaze me how surprised the Western victims of such scams seem to be. It's as though they never saw it coming? Reminds me of the people in South Florida in the US who insist on building homes in hurricane-alley and then stand their, agog, with their arms in the air when their homes are reduced to piles of rubble.

• Like 2

"Pol Col Narat said the department will help by providing a lawyer and be responsible for the court fees and DNA test fee in order to ensure justice in this case."

I know the 'Court Fees' are in the lap of the gods but, does anyone know what the DNA tests will cost?

"Pol Col Narat said the department will help by providing a lawyer and be responsible for the court fees and DNA test fee in order to ensure justice in this case."

I know the 'Court Fees' are in the lap of the gods but, does anyone know what the DNA tests will cost?

DNA tests are only performed at the Police Hospital in Bangkok I was informed. Other hospitals are not allowed to do it. As I recall the price was around 4 or 5 thousand baht....

Well, at least he is lucky he did not have to go through the drug and kidnap style of monetary extraction.... :-) Given the widespread usage of the internet, and the fact these types of stories are well known, I am always somewhat surprised to see them occur on a regular basis here....A couple of years ago a good friend of mine put about 1 million dollars into a resort in the southern islands. In his wife's name of course as per Thai law. When things turned bad with his wife, he wanted to recover a part of his money back, so he sent down a lawyer to see her.When his lawyer came back, he was very scared and told my friend to forget about ever seeing a dollar back. I gave him the same advice if he wanted to keep living. He walked away, and is still alive and well..Conclusion : Be fully prepared to lose any assets you put in the name of your wife. If you know that going in, no problem. If you take your life's savings and turn it over to your Thai wife, things will generally not go well for you in the future..Download the torrent movie " My Thai Bride"... :-)There is a slight variation on this concept involving the family of the wife. Meaning perhaps your Thai wife loves you more than anything in the world, and all the assets are in her name.She happens to have an untimely death. Next thing you know there is a pickup truck outside the house full of her relatives demanding you get out of " their" house. Same net effect to the poor farang....

Not always like that actually.....It's not their house if you are legally married. And I should know!!!

Well, at least he is lucky he did not have to go through the drug and kidnap style of monetary extraction.... :-) Given the widespread usage of the internet, and the fact these types of stories are well known, I am always somewhat surprised to see them occur on a regular basis here....A couple of years ago a good friend of mine put about 1 million dollars into a resort in the southern islands. In his wife's name of course as per Thai law. When things turned bad with his wife, he wanted to recover a part of his money back, so he sent down a lawyer to see her.When his lawyer came back, he was very scared and told my friend to forget about ever seeing a dollar back. I gave him the same advice if he wanted to keep living. He walked away, and is still alive and well..Conclusion : Be fully prepared to lose any assets you put in the name of your wife. If you know that going in, no problem. If you take your life's savings and turn it over to your Thai wife, things will generally not go well for you in the future..Download the torrent movie " My Thai Bride"... :-)There is a slight variation on this concept involving the family of the wife. Meaning perhaps your Thai wife loves you more than anything in the world, and all the assets are in her name.She happens to have an untimely death. Next thing you know there is a pickup truck outside the house full of her relatives demanding you get out of " their" house. Same net effect to the poor farang....

Not always like that actually.....It's not their house if you are legally married. And I should know!!!
Really ?? I have no direct experience fortunately. My understanding was in Thai law that if the wife dies, her will cannot legally turn her property over to a non Thai, ie her farang husband. If this is incorrect I would like to know.

An old fool and his money are easily parted.

"Easily" as any young fools.

True the house is still yours if it was in your name but the land is there's.

Not sure if they can order the house of the property. Or deny you entry to the property. But the house is still yours if it was in your name. It would be interesting if it was in both your names. Could the relatives move in with you?

Once again,if somebody is struggling,put the boot in.Kind regards your expat buddies.

Well put! What is it with people? Talk about kicking people when they're down. Everyone knows better after the event.

Another report today discussed the possibility of a court for foreigners. This is a good example of why one is needed.

Yes God/Allah/Buddha knows there are enough foreigners here who think they are better than the Thais and would welcome it.

Of course if they win what ever who would enforce it the BIB?

What a bloody fool! Some people deserve, what they get! First cheated by the wife and then leave it to MIL to sell the remaining assets. And share with him.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Why do he deserve this? He did trust his wife you obviously don't!!

Should check out the photo of this guy in the newspaper I cannot name here.

He looks genuinely disheveled and unkempt. Although appearance can be deceiving this guy may be suffering from mental illness and/or alcoholism, either of which could explain suboptimal judgement.

I do have sympathy for his situation with child and being scammed.

Edited by atyclb

The number of besserwissers (french for a*holes) here never ends to surprise me: most of us have a mediocre, maybe with a + educatioanal background. (Who else would choose to settle within a culture/country you have absolutely no chance to learn to understand in a lifetime or two?) So we get screwed of course. Daily. Seen from the oposite side: that's what we are here for!

Maybe, maybe the story and your adversary can be "turned" - but not by acting like a farang and whining all the way down or by trying to impose your own morale on you opponent (girl-friend/love of your life). You have to accept by just being here you are a looser! And that your money means nothing as long as it is in your own pocket.

My advice, after years of tripping, falling, loosing and still sometimes smiling - what have you: go with the flow, enjoy the bumpy ride and you will most possibly end up loosing with a grin, or with a bit of luck: the two of you end up in the bottom of a pool laughing your heads off!

Or go home, - cause you never really did belong, did you?

My dime worth...

First of all i feel some sympathy for the poor guy started a family with good intentions and by all account got screwed . Moving on i know some body personally that has taken an ex wife to court proven that he had transferred funds to purchase property and the courts have forced the ex to sell and return the money .The other thing i have heard but i am not 100% is that if you are married to a Thai national and she or he dies and you are a foreigner you can be left property or land . But the conditions are you can not put it in your name of course and that you have up to a year to pass it on . The last thing is would Grandma be as keen to fight for custardy if the child was a boy. Maybe she wants to keep a hold of the new bread winner in the family as she did ok out of the last female offspring just a thought !!

"Caveat Emptor", not sure if spelling is right, but this is definitely a buyer beware situation. I, like many others, went through something like this in the Philippines. The only thing that saved me was knowledge. Before I left the USA I did lots of readin of local law, especially family and real estate law. That didn't save me from being thrown in jail for 4 days without bail on false cherges, but it did save me from staying there and it did keep me from losing all I had in the deal. I had a signed pre-nup and when I bought property with her name on the title, it was with a signed 50 year, very clear lease. Anyone who doesn't watch out for their own intersts is only asking for trouble. As long as there are men like him there will be women like her... It takes 2 to tango.

• Like 1

No surprise to see this thread has turned into yet another "dumb farang deserves everything he gets" thread, its kind of boring now and yet again shows the intelligence of the majority of TV members.

The main factor in this story is the ex is dead, Mr. Harpel will surely be up against it when making accusations against a deceased ex. I note the article does not state when the ex died, only that it was sometime after 2007. So has this case been going on since 2007, or has Mr Harpel recently found himself in the shit and has decided to re-visit his past in a last ditch attempt to get some funds ?

Even if the ex was alive he still wouldn't stand much of chance as he was not legally married, Thai law states that any assets acquired after a legal marriage (which they did not have) would be split 50/50. This was not his late wife, it was his girlfriend, no marriage certificate, no case ! The mistake this man made was not down to him marrying a Thai, the mistake was NOT marrying a Thai !

To all you blokes out there who have married a Thai women and not registered it by Thai law do it now, if your wife says "no darling, dont need to do, the monk say we marry already" then walk away, and walk away from any assets that are in her name !

• Like 1