Thai Police To Step Up Gun Control From May

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every single one of my wifes friends here in the village owns a gun or has a gun in the house be it an air gun, home made single shot, shot gun or hand gun. I am not aware of any that are licensed. The problem seems to be endemic and will take a massive effort to solve. Where to begin?

Don't begin. Just mandate that everyone carry a gun and get training in school. No country would ever attempt invasion again, and people would be much more polite. ;-)

• Like 1

They might start with controlling gun ownership of the MPs. I recall two people being shot and killed by MPs in the last year.

One was deemed an accident as he was simply cleaning his uzi at the restuarant dinner table when it accidently went off and shot his ex wife.

Totally understandable. I clean my loaded S&W .357 at a restaurant dinner table regularly.

Edited by Pimay1

Oh I get it, Ive been living in different parts of Asia for 12 year going on 13, and yes I know there is a load of crap all over, My thing was simply all I read is so negative, I get the feeling certain persons have had enough and feel nothing can do except bitch, maybe time if ya start getting so negative, time to leave for a while and see what its like back at home also. I also get frustrated many a time.

Maybe just me then ;) maybe this forum is only to have a bitch session to get out the frustrations.

They might start with controlling gun ownership of the MPs. I recall two people being shot and killed by MPs in the last year.

One was deemed an accident as he was simply cleaning his uzi at the restuarant dinner table when it accidently went off and shot his ex wife.

That was a Senator. His immunity wasn't revoked because he "is needed for the country" and he AFAIK hasn't been charged yet. He did a nice little "screamer" on camera in the morgue faking distress. This will probably get him off the hook.

BTW: It wasn't an UZI submachinegun but a handgun from the same Israeli company. Dining manners haven't gone down to that level yet.

Advertise an amnesty. Hand in all guns by the end of May. Anyone -and I mean anyone then having an unlicenced gun in their possession, car, home, wherever, will face a 20,000bt fine AND 6 months inside!

That will do for starters!

If laws exiist, then they must be enforced SERIOUSLY!

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Oh I get it, Ive been living in different parts of Asia for 12 year going on 13, and yes I know there is a load of crap all over, My thing was simply all I read is so negative, I get the feeling certain persons have had enough and feel nothing can do except bitch, maybe time if ya start getting so negative, time to leave for a while and see what its like back at home also. I also get frustrated many a time.

Maybe just me then wink.png maybe this forum is only to have a bitch session to get out the frustrations.

Seems like you fit right in my friend.

• Like 1

Really dudes,

I am always amazed at how negative people can be when hearing about how Thai gov wants to do something in the positive way. Why not just try to look at the good sides and be a bit more positive towards things. Gun control is a great step towards what most of us would like to consider a safe paradise to live. Stop bitching and support these ideas instead of shooting them down all the time.

Gun control is not something positive - somehow I don't think gun control is going to stop the army from shooting citizens whenever there is a threat to their grip on power.

• Like 1

Really dudes,

I am always amazed at how negative people can be when hearing about how Thai gov wants to do something in the positive way. Why not just try to look at the good sides and be a bit more positive towards things. Gun control is a great step towards what most of us would like to consider a safe paradise to live. Stop bitching and support these ideas instead of shooting them down all the time.

Gun control is not something positive - somehow I don't think gun control is going to stop the army from shooting citizens whenever there is a threat to their grip on power.

Not when the citizens are shooting at the army.

Really dudes,

Yeah, especially when citizens shoot them first, burn cities, steal grenade launchers and wreak havoc.

• Like 1

Really dudes,

Shooting in defense is different from declaring an area currently occupied by civillians as a "live firing zone" which the army did.

It's like shooting someone in the back after they are running away from a crime, it would never hold up in court as a defense

Edited by Time Traveller

In the thai social circle, Guns and Cars are two important keeps of any thai man - it attracts both power and women.
Before they decide to clamp down on gun culture, they really need to figure how to deal with it at the social / cultural level.

Really dudes,

Shooting in defense is different from declaring an area currently occupied by civillians as a "live firing zone" which the army did.

It's like shooting someone in the back after they are running away from a crime, it would never hold up in court as a defense

Off topic and totally wrong. The live firing zone was declared after (repeat: after) the red militia (MIB) started killing soldiers and civilians.

Shooting some one in the back while running away from a crime can be justified if the crime involved a gun.

Gun control would be a great idea but asking the police to enforce it is a waste of time as they can't or won't enforce anything unless it involves a bribe.

• Like 1

Every single one of my wifes friends here in the village owns a gun or has a gun in the house be it an air gun, home made single shot, shot gun or hand gun. I am not aware of any that are licensed. The problem seems to be endemic and will take a massive effort to solve. Where to begin?

Don't begin. Just mandate that everyone carry a gun and get training in school. No country would ever attempt invasion again, and people would be much more polite. ;-)

Excellent solution . . .. for any country where inhabitants are well educated, there is no religeous or political tension, the Law is applied equally, everybody is mentally stable, they dont get drunk or abuse drugs, always stay calm, never have adulterous relationships, dont play host to "ditto" farangs, etc, etc.........

Edited by attento

Where is everyone getting these guns? I can't seem to find any.

A local copper touted a brochure full of them to me 6 months ago. For an arrangement fee of course.

Same here some time back. It advertized the latest and top Intl. fare.

And how they propose to do that? house to house search? body search? start a "dob a gun owner" campaign? the way I see it, this a lip service, flying balloons for the sake of

good PR and police image...good luck to them

Arm amnesties seem to work well in other countries, especially if the money is offered.

Don't forget ... TIT!

Maybe just me then wink.png maybe this forum is only to have a bitch session to get out the frustrations.

Getting close thumbsup.gif

I'd like a gun. Where do I buy one?

I hate guns.

I hope your home is never invaded by an armed criminal. Of course you could always throw a tissue at him.

• Like 1

Only way to do it is by using the same methods they used when Thaksin declared war on drugs.

The Police started to execute................(sorry the word is extra judicial killings?) the people they protected and was dealing with, in order to not be dragged to court themselves.

Edited by Travel2003

I'd like a gun. Where do I buy one?

I hate guns.

I hope your home is never invaded by an armed criminal. Of course you could always throw a tissue at him.

Gotta love gun nuts

So what would you do in this situation to protect your family? No trolling I really want to know your opinion.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

Too many quotes...can't continue

So what would you do in this situation to protect your family? No trolling I really want to know your opinion.

Now only one quote. Please continue.

Too many quotes...can't continue

Now only one quote. Please continue.

Like I said, I want a gun

The most common cause of unnatural death in Thailand is firearms, followed closely by motorbikes.

More Thais are killed by guns than are Americans - a country where nearly everyone can have a gun if they wish.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

Part of the problem stems from the fact that guns are illegal and people cannot be trained in their proper use, so resort to illegal or homemade firearms.

One point few countries ever bother to note is that guns are incredibly easy to make. A piece of iron pipe, homemade black powder a marble and a match. Plus guns are incredibly easy to steal - just get a policeman out where someone can bash him and PRESTO, one gun goes missing. That is a favorite trick of thugs in NYC.

REALITY - If a thug thinks you might have a gun, maybe he has second thoughts.. Knowing you don't have one makes you an easy target.

Edited by dighambara
  • Like 1

Most of the people I know who have illegally purchased firearms bought them from someone they know in the police or military. Back in the village I witnessed a local policeman going door to door with a small catalog of weapons he could sell at ridiculous prices. Even the 2nd hand guns (which scream bad news) were ridiculously priced.