Getting A Bike Valued?.

Scully

I have a Honda CBR150, under 10000kilo's 2011. Blue, red and white.

I am getting conflicting information of it's value, I am told it's in the 35,000 range, but I see bikes in the classifieds, that are older, have more miles and more money.

It's in near mint condition and would like advice on how much and where to sell?.

This is not an advert because I am not selling yet, just getting information for when I do. The problem is I sold my car and recieved the bike as part exchange as a favour but fell in love with the bike.

If it is 35,000 I will keep it as it's worth more to me than that, but I return to the UK every six months and a mate takes it out for a spin twice a week, so genuine kilo's but depreciating every time I do 6 months in the UK.

Also I live in the Udon area not one of your major expat towns.

It is common practice to ask more than you expect to get,

i dont but most do

I realise they need room for negotiation but no 15,000 baht, are my friends totally wrong with their 35,00 baht figure. I appreciate Thaivisa classified but I don't know of any Thai links to the bigger sites that sell bikes, any link would be appreciated.

Pricing things in Thailand can be black magic most of the time. As long as I have been here I have never seen a pricing guide or blue book guide (what we call them in the USA) that will tell you what the bike is worth based on km, year and condition; it always puzzles me as how that banks here determine what to loan on a used car - maybe they have their own internal book. Suggest if your interested in selling the bike ask what you think it is worth, add 5k baht to that price see how you go. It really is an experiment here in Thailand. Location in Thailand generally drives prices on used bikes and car/trucks to so keep that in mind.

You would be very surprised the difference in price between Pattaya and Bangkok as an example when it comes to used cars/bikes including the quality - Bangkok is much cheaper, Pattaya being an Expat retirement home, prices have been driven up when it comes to used cars and bikes. Good luck in whatever you decide, took me a month to sell my Kawasaki Versys, reduced the price 2 times before I sold it but I still felt I got a good return. Negotiation is part of the Thai culture so you never get what you ask which is why you always ask for more than you want.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

Pricing things in Thailand can be black magic most of the time. As long as I have been here I have never seen a pricing guide or blue book guide (what we call them in the USA) that will tell you what the bike is worth based on km, year and condition; it always puzzles me as how that banks here determine what to loan on a used car - maybe they have their own internal book. Suggest if your interested in selling the bike ask what you think it is worth, add 5k baht to that price see how you go. It really is an experiment here in Thailand. Location in Thailand generally drives prices on used bikes and car/trucks to so keep that in mind.

You would be very surprised the difference in price between Pattaya and Bangkok as an example when it comes to used cars/bikes including the quality - Bangkok is much cheaper, Pattaya being an Expat retirement home, prices have been driven up when it comes to used cars and bikes. Good luck in whatever you decide, took me a month to sell my Kawasaki Versys, reduced the price 2 times before I sold it but I still felt I got a good return. Negotiation is part of the Thai culture so you never get what you ask which is why you always ask for more than you want.

This is the kind of answer I was expecting, it does feel like hold your finger in the air. At least when I sold bought and sold my car I had some good websites to refer to, and got what I thought was a good deal.

One in TV smallads today for 60k which seems a fair start for negotiation. 35k is way too low. Maybe your friends want it?:-)

You maybe right, I do use the word friend loosely.

Scully, one thing you might do is take the bike to a dealer, would suggest more than one if available ask them what they think the bike is worth. Probably would be better if you took a Thai with you depending on the language barrier. Never know they might help you out, might not. In the end though and my opinion is why not just keep the bike if you like it. It's not an expensive bike at the end of the day and you will always have transportation waiting on you when you come to Thailand. These little bikes run forever provided you take care of them which generally means change the oil.

Just a thought, if your "friend" is trust worthy you really don't have anything to loose.

• Like 1

Scully, one thing you might do is take the bike to a dealer, would suggest more than one if available ask them what they think the bike is worth. Probably would be better if you took a Thai with you depending on the language barrier. Never know they might help you out, might not. In the end though and my opinion is why not just keep the bike if you like it. It's not an expensive bike at the end of the day and you will always have transportation waiting on you when you come to Thailand. These little bikes run forever provided you take care of them which generally means change the oil.

Just a thought, if your "friend" is trust worthy you really don't have anything to loose.

Your probably right, I do like the bike and we are only talking 10-15k. The last oil change at Honda cost me a massive 170 baht.

I managed to get VIP tickets to the motor show in Bangkok and the same model was on show there, so Honda must still have faith in selling plenty of these fast little engined bikes.

Thanks everyone I will keep it, at least I know how it's been ridden and never dropped. Cheers Scully.

scully it is the injection Cbr150. correct?

if yes i would say between 40-45k Depending on how quick you want to sell for. Usually you lose about 30% which would be about 50-55k but you have the added problem of the Cbr250 if its to expensive some people will just spend a bit more and get the 250.

• Like 1