Vhs Recorders

sungod

Ok fellas, realise I may be living in the stoneage, but does anyone know where I can buy a new VHS recorder in Thailand as mine is on its last legs. I have tried all the big stores but to no avail. I have a home theatre system but require a recoreder to copy from the TV. I also have an European VHS but the audio is not compatable with the local system, could I get it converted? Also , are there other ways to achieve coping. Apologies for being solid but any advice would be appreciated while smart comments would not!

Ok fellas, realise I may be living in the stoneage, but does anyone know where I can buy a new VHS recorder in Thailand as mine is on its last legs. I have tried all the big stores but to no avail. I have a home theatre system but require a recoreder to copy from the TV. I also have an European VHS but the audio is not compatable with the local system, could I get it converted? Also , are there other ways to achieve coping. Apologies for being solid but any advice would be appreciated while smart comments would not!

They are quite difficult to find now, and only seem to sell the DVD/VHS combi units. The last place I remember seeing them was at Tesco, Panasonic was the brand, but that was a couple of months back. Hope you track one down..

I use a HD/DVD recorder, just plug it in like you do with the VHS and then record on the hard disk. The hard disk usually holds 12 to 24 hours of recordings. If there is anything I would like to keep for any longer time I just dump it on the built-in DVD recorder. Very easy to use and install.

Cost 25,000 to 35,000 depending on model, cheaper if only HD/DVD player (no DVD recording).

I use a HD/DVD recorder, just plug it in like you do with the VHS and then record on the hard disk. The hard disk usually holds 12 to 24 hours of recordings. If there is anything I would like to keep for any longer time I just dump it on the built-in DVD recorder. Very easy to use and install.

Cost 25,000 to 35,000 depending on model, cheaper if only HD/DVD player (no DVD recording).

................................................................................

...........................ended

Hiya ZZZ

I,ve been looking at some dvd recorders and was shown a Pioneer model at a special price 11,000.

The company is a reputable one and i have used it in the past

I wanted to wait until i go to the u.k. and check them out there.

I want to transfer all my VHS tapes to hard disc once i get the recorder of my needs.

Can you tell me what your model is and the differences between the 25,000 and 35,000 facilities are.

Do i really need the extras or are they facilities that are not normally used.

Perhaps your experience can be of valuable use on this .

Thanks in advance

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S.

I have a high quality VHS recorder and must admit i only use the basic functions normally.

I can’t remember the model number of my recorder. It's a Pioneer Hard disk/DVD recorder with an 80Gb hard disk and I think it cost around 34kBath.

I’m not an expert but find it very useful. You can keep it running all the time, that way you can stop live TV shows if you need to go for another beer or a dump.

You can also use the timer to record when you are away, up to 24 hours recording I think with good quality picture. Then you can edit, cut out commercials, what you have on the hard disk and dump it on the DVD if you want to keep it.

The more expensive units have all the surround sound extras and a large hard disk.

If all you are going to use it for is to transfer your VHS to DVD you will not need all that stuff. A basic DVD recorder should be OK, if you can find one, most seem to come with a HD recorder as well.

Another option is to have a service do this copying for you. I have seen it advertised here in Thailand but have no idea of the cost.

Are you ever in Pattaya as I have a spare Goldstar VHS player/recorder for sale?

Mr. Artisan Sir, that was going to be my next post! I actually live down in Pattaya but am away working in Israel at the moment. Should be back in town around end of next month or there abouts. Got me interested, has it got a timer and all that bumf mate?

And cheers for the info ZZZ on the HD/DVD, something to bear in mind when I move again.

If you go the DVD recorder route there are a couple of points to watch.

The very cheap ones only record to DVD, there is no hard disk.

You need the hard disk for flexibility and editing before dumping to DVD.

Go for a decent size HD. I have the Pioneer with 80Gb which gives me 40 hours of recording on top quality. I fact I use one notch down and have 70+ hours of space. Necessary if you want to record a series, week by week.......

Just as easy to connect and use as a VHS recorder, but much better quality and relatively future proof. Even buying blank vhs tapes is becoming difficult these days.

I can’t remember the model number of my recorder. It's a Pioneer Hard disk/DVD recorder with an 80Gb hard disk and I think it cost around 34kBath.

I’m not an expert but find it very useful. You can keep it running all the time, that way you can stop live TV shows if you need to go for another beer or a dump.

You can also use the timer to record when you are away, up to 24 hours recording I think with good quality picture. Then you can edit, cut out commercials, what you have on the hard disk and dump it on the DVD if you want to keep it.

The more expensive units have all the surround sound extras and a large hard disk.

If all you are going to use it for is to transfer your VHS to DVD you will not need all that stuff. A basic DVD recorder should be OK, if you can find one, most seem to come with a HD recorder as well.

Another option is to have a service do this copying for you. I have seen it advertised here in Thailand but have no idea of the cost.

Thanks ZZZ for the much appreciated info and also to the other posters.

It appears that astral has the same model as you and like you seems impressed by it.

I am a believer in quality and the price range is o.k. for me as well so i,ll go look at this particular model.

Thanks in particular for the hard disc info which is very important to know about.

I thought you recorded onto discs like the old Vhs/tape system, silly old me Ha ha Ha.

That,s Thai English limitations for you i guess when talking to the sales people.

One further point of interest if you can help me please.

What can actually be downloaded onto dvd discs ? for example some of my Vhs tapes have several hours long play recording on them. .............3 to 8 hours

Can you buy different disc sizes or are they standard, ( forgive my ignorance on this subject. )

Thanks again for the info.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

I take it your HD DVD is hooked up to your UBC, is it possible to watch other UBC channels whilst recording another? Previously with my VCR I had to tune it to the UBC SAT box and not the individual channel, thus not being able to flick around if recording.

I take it your HD DVD is hooked up to your UBC, is it possible to watch other UBC channels whilst recording another? Previously with my VCR I had to tune it to the UBC SAT box and not the individual channel, thus not being able to flick around if recording.

Need stick w/same channel I'm afraid. :o I have DVR and this is the case for me.

Not sure but some SAT firms offer integrated dvr w/satellite box and this allows you to record and watch diff program at the same time. Not sure if UBC offers this????

Edited by britmaveric

Need stick w/same channel I'm afraid. :o I have DVR and this is the case for me.

Not sure but some SAT firms offer integrated dvr w/satellite box and this allows you to record and watch diff program at the same time. Not sure if UBC offers this????

The way around this is to get a second UBC SAT box, which will cost you an additional 280Bath/month.

Or, as most of the programs are repeated several times over a months you can plan your viewing accordingly but that usually never works out.

I’m not sure how many hours of VHS video you can fit on a DVD, it depends on the quality and how much compression you are using when recording. Anyway, if the whole eight hours don’t fit it’s very easy to cut the file on the hard disk and record two DVD’s. On the recorder I have I can select to optimize the copying from hard disk to DVD, it will then automatically compress the file as much as needed to fit the file on the DVD.

For VHS recorders in Pattaya you can always try any of the hundreds of second hand shops, you can probably pick up a working unit there for a couple of hundred Bath.