Tips On Storing A Scooter For 3-6 Months?

Hi, I will be going back to the States for a while and storing my Yamaha Mio 125 scooter at a friend's house for a duration of three to six months.

Should I empty the gas tank or fill it up?

Should I pour in an additive that is available here in Thailand?

Should I take the battery out?

Should I get a tune up and change oil before storage?

Etc.

Any tips on correct storage procedures would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...Jimmy in Chiang Mai

Drain the gas- you shouldn't let your bike sit with gasohol for more than a few weeks as it can damage your fuel system (or have your friend use the bike on occasion to keep the juices flowing)- gasohol can break down over time and the ethanol content can have negative effects.

Disconnect the battery- if you can find a cheap trickle-charger, hook it up- at a minimum, keep it out of the sun, and (though this will sound silly) if you aren't using a charger you can slow the rate of discharge by putting it in the refrigerator if you have the room (lower tempertures slow discharge rates).

Edited by RubberSideDown

I have left both my PCX and a Honda City car for 2 month with E10 in the tanks, they both started right up (car battery disconnected). 3-6 month are much longer so it would be best if you friend could take it for a short trip once a week.

If not better follow RubberSideDowns advice and empty the tank and disconnect the battery (and store it in a cool place).