Is 5000 Australian Dollars Enough For 13 Days Trip In Sydney?

jiean

Hi everyone,

My husband, daughter2.5 yrs old and I will visit sydney soon. We prepare 5000 dollars ,160000฿,for the whole trip including hotels30000฿,tickets from air Asia 65000฿ and the rest of money will be spent in sydney. Do you think it's okey to stay there for 13 days?

Any tips?

Thanks a lot..

Cheers..

I always have travel bugs!!

Fairly tight if you spend that on hotels. You may be able to save a little there but the standard will go down. Remember transport is expensive. It is a bit the case of how long is a bit of string. You can do it but depending on your tastes may not have a lot.

Food is pretty expensive but by buying bread and cold meat and salad vegies at a supermarket you can save a bit there. There are food courts but I think you are looking over $10 a plate at the lowest.

Don't forget it will soon be winter in the Sydney region, around 20C or less in the daytime, so you will need to plan what you wish to do during the daytime. With only A$166 a day for the three of you it will not leave much for the costs for any day trips to the likes of the Blue Mountains etc food and entertainment. I would recommend you increase your budget and of course buy A$ in Thailand.

BTW a cheap trip is getting a Sydney Ferry from Circular Quay to Manly (ocean beach) & you will see the beauty of Sydney Harbour. At Manly their is a lovely walk to Storey Beach. A good place for a late breakfast/lunch about half way. Also their is a great scenic walk along the cliff tops from Bondi Beach heading south. Try and budget for a night out at the Opera House, again also beautiful views at night.

Enjoy...

EDIT: Another pleasant day out is going to Balmoral Beach for lunch and harbour views, you can get a ferry

Edited by simple1

Australia not getting any cheaper. I was born in Sydney but moved away years ago...

However, I lived a few streets away from this place, when it was a youth hostel.

Always good reports, located close to inexpensive shopping, 6km from airport, good train/bus access.

It is not in the commercial centre (7km away), but affordable (for Sydney).

http://www.dulwichhilllodge.com.au/

Good luck, AA

Would be a waste to spend whole time in Sydney - I loved it - but really as a tourist three nights would do most travelers well - went to Newcastle and even Hobart - many places to go. I would stay on the move and maybe two nights most places. It has been too many years to know about prices anymore, if not for so many other things to do up coming I would be making the rounds down under again in a heart beat - loved the place. Have a great trip.

Cheap, well positioned accommodation is very hard to get in my experience.I hate to say it but I think you may be up to $2-3000A short to have a nice time and stay in the city. I agree with the other posts - three days in Sydney and get out. Might be worth hireing a campervan - the countryside and country towns are very nice.

http://www.britz.com.au/campervans-motorhomes-australia-venturer

OP: plenty of people on this forum who know Sydney and surrounding area very well - e.g. I lived there for 20+ years. Can you give a heads up on what motivated you and partner to select Sydney and this may assist to provide more targeted suggestions. I agree with other posters 13 days in Sydney may be over the top for a tourist stay outside of summer.

Do not forget your travel insurance,maybe you get it with your Mastercard etc.I would say on average Sydney would be 4 times dearer than Pattaya,eg the hotel I stay in at Naklua for a bit over $40 a night would cost about $160 in Sydney.If you come I hope you have a great time

Cut your trip in half, it will be more enjoyable that way. Not so many budgetary restrictions so to speak.

Having grown up and worked in Sydney, you can comfortably do everything that needs to be seen in 7 days.

Food is expensive in the touristic areas, Chinatown and Thaitown quite the opposite and the food is familiar and delicious!

You also need to ensure your visas are in order as well.

If you have the dates you're looking to visit, I'm sure we (TV Members) can give you a better idea on what's out there.

Would be a waste to spend whole time in Sydney - I loved it - but really as a tourist three nights would do most travelers well - went to Newcastle and even Hobart - many places to go. I would stay on the move and maybe two nights most places. It has been too many years to know about prices anymore, if not for so many other things to do up coming I would be making the rounds down under again in a heart beat - loved the place. Have a great trip.

+1 I live in Sydney and can catagorically state that 13 days is too long. Try and get a budget flight to Melbourne. Might be a bit colder than Sydney though