Why Do Heavily Perfumed Girls Come To Work In Ball Gowns In Thailand, In The Morning?

Whatever a young lady chooses with care from her wardrobe as she readies for the office, I am always very appreciative of the time she spends to make herself look nice for the rest of us. She provides a lift in the morning to those who appreciate her beauty as we begin another workday grind.

I have found, in Thailand, that some girls enjoy wearing ball gowns to the office or workplace, and they also often use liberal amounts of perfume and makeup. By ball gowns, I mean dresses that almost touch the floor, and hang down from the waist with flounces.

Is this an accepted office fashion which is not really appreciated by management?

Has anyone noticed this local sartorial proclivity for the extreme?

I cannot seem to find an image of what I am looking for on Google.

The closest thing I can come up with is this image which only approximates what I am referring to.

Good Day

Madame

Blue-Ruffled-Flounced-Full-Circle-Party-

I should have mentioned that the wearing of these dresses is not unique to Thailand, but have been very popular in some other places in East Asia.

They used to be worn all the time while riding motorbikes pillion behind the man, or sidesaddle with skirts blowing in the wind on the way to work.

Here is what I mean, but this time in India.....

This lady is fine for me now, but could not have compared to the girls I used to love to watch on motorbikes, riding sidesaddle with flounces flying high.

Delhi_2430247b.jpg

You see? Here I am on the cover of "Life", driving.

This is Taiwan, decades ago.

When we were more civilized.

A slower paced more fun existence.

I am still looking for the ball gowns on motorbikes images.

If you are a passenger in a passing cab, you get a great view.

I love the old days.

JapangirlMoto.jpg

Well, i'm no fashion expert but no way is that 2nd photo a "ball gown." It's called a sari, and is traditional Indian attire, also worn by women of surrounding countries like Pakistan & Bangladesh.

• Like 1

Yes, of course.

But I am still looking for the correct image.

If you have one, or can find a few, I would =really= appreciate your posting here.

The images from Taiwan would need to be captured roughly pre-1980 to truly depict the style I am referring to.

She is a perfect SeaVision of beauty.

But, yes, that is sort of the look I was remembering.

My thinking is that the style arrived at by girls here and there, is sort of an amalgam of traditional East and contemporary West.

All the girls look nice. But they seem to not go all the way so quickly to become completely westernized in their dress.

This leaves them being sort of a part of both sides, with a look all their own.

I do see this look often in offices and about town. The only time it seems strange is very early in the workday when the girls come in with liberal dashes of perfume sprinkled here and there. I very much do like it. It reminds me of the past few decades in Asia. And is more often seen in smaller cities far from places like Bangkok. Maybe in Lao?

I hope this look never goes away!!!

If, as you say, you "have found, in Thailand, that some girls enjoy wearing ball gowns to the office or workplace", you must surely be working within an environment that pre-dates dinosaurs if you don't have the technology at your fingertips to capture an image of one of the girls to which you refer!!

Thank you Mrs. C.

Where scent is concerned, I prefer essential oils.

Cheap perfume is worse than some of those stink bugs we have around here, and unfortunately it is no longer made from cat urine. (As far as I know)

Makes perfect sense to me. See them all the time, especially around Ekkamai.

..even on scooters.

Family SVB? Auntie perhaps?

Every Aussies favorite Auntie, Auntie Jack.
  • Like 1

Yes, of course.

But I am still looking for the correct image.

If you have one, or can find a few, I would =really= appreciate your posting here.

Well, let us advise you how to simply solve your issue of the correct image.

since you have found ...

... in Thailand, that some girls enjoy wearing ball gowns to the office or workplace, and they also often use liberal amounts of perfume and makeup. By ball gowns, I mean dresses that almost touch the floor, and hang down from the waist with flounces.

... next time you see one, take a photo.

Be like a Boy Scout ... be prepared, next time make your photo, then start your OP ... rolleyes.gif

Or, since you observe them at the office or the workplace, presumably you are also working with them ... so simply ask them.

Next ... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here we are coming up on three months and still not exactly a good answer to the question above.

I have changed my place of residence and so I do not see too many office girls these days.

The ones I do see, are more "cosmo girl" and so look slightly more like this:

314698_nyc_cosmogirl_8_110905.jpg

After all this time, I want you all to know that I was actually originally not cracking wise when I first posted this topic.

I was being serious as I sometimes am when you least expect it.

In fact, some of the office workers I have seen actually do wear dresses similar to the dress I posted up top, not quite as long of course, but weird for the office.

And they also have way too much perfume.

This is not a cultural difference, I think, but just a matter of countryside taste and BKK taste being different.

Chiang Mai is a place where you can easily see both at once because you have the University.

Well, I just wanted you to know that I am glad this topic is still open.

And this time I will try to find a camera and maybe I can get out a little and do some snapping of some snaps.

I do not know if the above image will work, because I can never seem to tell in advance which images are OK to post, and which are trademarked.

And thank you, too, for keeping this topic open.

Bye for Now.

I like this topic.

Edited by OldChinaHam

So anyway, as I say, I have now moved to new digs where I no longer see enough girls in ball gowns, and almost any perfume but essential oils I still cannot abide the cheap chemistry it evokes, but I am now seeing far more of the "cosmo-girl" look which stirs my loins.

The reason I see this cosmo look is because I moved closer to the university I think.

These girls are pretty dam smart, I can tell you, which probably has much to do with the Flynn Effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

Now with this Flynn Effect kicking in among the university girls, you probably could look for a month of Sundays and never, ever see even one ball gown with flounces.

Probably some of you thought that originally I was making light of the dressing conventions of women in the Chiang Mai area, which I was not.

So please just take a look at this example of the cosmo look, and then, as I say, when I can find a camera, which will be soon, and when I can get out and around to take some snaps which I hope will be soon, then I will do my best to add a few real life photos, but only from the rear end because I do not want to intrude or otherwise compromise others' privacy, and you will then see what I meant about ball gowns, flounces from the countryside who work in offices, and the great strides which have been made by our college students.

I purposely did not choose the largest copy of the following image because there are those who have said they do not like big images of girls like this:

1010182442_small.jpg

Try to imagine a college coed from the university here who also looks pretty much like this, and then you got a real eyeful.

Edited by OldChinaHam

"Well, I just wanted you to know that I am glad this topic is still open.

And this time I will try to find a camera and maybe I can get out a little and do some snapping of some snaps."

I see I earlier lost a paragraph somewhere.

When I find a ball gown to my liking, then I will think about unsnapping some snaps.

Because you really do not understand me if you thought I did not prefer women of the old school.

I just do not like old women much.