Ants.. Help

TommyDee

This year for the first time, the house here is inundated with semi microscopic ants. tiny things, when ever i go into the kitchen they are there. a trail along the wall, or up a cupboard. leave anything out and they are on it. its not just food areas, the living room and even my office has new inhabitants.

HELP... in the Uk you can buy a gel that you put down and they take it back into their nests and it kills them all. here I cant find anything like that.

any tips or help welcome, they are driving me bloody mad

thanks in advance

tommy

Garden ants coming into your home could be because they expect rain and are moving their eggs to drier climes.

Mix some water and vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the areas they crawl. Safe and non-toxic. If the ants return in a couple of weeks, just re-spray.

T

• Like 1

To rid your place of the ants, mix 1/2 tsp of boric acid (if you're from the States, you know it as Boraxo - otherwise available here in better pharmacies) with 1/2 tsp of caster or icing sugar. Put that down where the ant trails are. Boric acid is a poison to ants. But it also stays in their system. This is good, because ants are cannibals. So, they trail the Boric acid back to the nest, and tend to die there. Others eat them, and then tend to die from the poison. I had some earlier this year in my kitchen. I was amazed to watch ants take their dead brethren and carry them away. Amazing.

Another good thing is, Boric acid will not harm birds, cats, or dogs - or people.

Talcum powder.

Yes that actually works.

it is like a Chinese wall against them.

But the gel should be on the marked everywhere.

The pest eats it and bring it home, and the queen and/or colony eats it and they die.

However, ants/pests only come when there are food to be had.

Clean all surfaces, and sanitize (chlorine).

Flies normally lay their eggs where it is a wet environment (especially in the drains).

Sanitize Sanitize Sanitize.

• 4 weeks later...

Did a lot of searcxhing for the acid and then LO AND BEHOLD.. Foodland suddenly had a supply of the premixed gel in stock. bought 3 straight away.

that night put a few small dobs on the kitchen counter, poured a scotch and turned the lights out. went back in 10 minutes later and the walls were crawling with the damn things.

that was 2 weeks ago, dobbed a bit in each room the next day and not seen one single ant since. AMAZING.. it really did the trick

all the best

t

• Like 2

Tommy

Which FOODLAND outlet?? And, what area in the store, the bug-mossey section?

Mac

TommyD is in Pattaya and there is only 1 Foodland in Pattaya.

Edited by MJCM

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy

Which FOODLAND outlet?? And, what area in the store, the bug-mossey section?

Mac

sorry for the delay in reply.. foodland in Pattaya but I am sure in Bkk too. yes in the pest section, now in front of me, its a small bottle like a viosine bottle, yellow label, with an ant pic and a line across him, called Terro PCO.

since I posted last we have not seen an ant in the house. not one. unlike sprays, they take it back into the nest, where ever that is and it zaps the whole gang.

oh, the stuff is made by a company called Nisus. you onyl ned a tear drop of the stuff in about 5 places. go back 10 minutes later they are feeding like cattle on a pond.. next day.. gone.

They are coming in with all those kilos of rambutan and mangosteen people are buying at present. It's the fruit season so the ants will come out or in however you look at it!

Don't forget to rinse your fruit outside.

Sprays help but can be toxic, borax works best may need a few treatments and have to keep things clean.

I quite like them. When the dogs make a mess eating, when there are dead insects or slugs, the ants clean up within hours. The doors and windows in my home are wood, termites are the problem for me. The mini ants are to small to take on living termites, I wish there were larger ones in Thailand. Well there are, but they're few in numbers.