German Overstayer Arrested After Getting Drunk

britmaveric

German Overstayer Arrested After Getting Drunk

On Tuesday a German man living in the Blue Mountain View estate on Sukhumvit Soi 85 was taken into custody by Immigration officials after coming to their attention following a drinking binge at his home. The man had apparently been drinking large quantities of the very cheap Thai whisky known as lao khao. He stumbled out of his apartment and began to act in a threatening manner towards other residents and children in the area.

Locals were able to encourage him to go outside the complex and rest while police were called. They discovered the man’s German passport had long ago expired and he was living in Thailand illegally. Immigration authorities later took the man to their lock-up where he will face charges and probably be deported.

-Pattaya City News

Tuesday 21th March 2006

Edited by britmaveric

It is definatly a spirit, not a wine - Thais seem to find it difficult to distinguish the use of the term wine versus whiskey.

The proper stuff made in the villages is very strong and has sent me over the edge more than once... maybe it's a German thing? :o

But my passport is in order, Sir! :D

Always thought that Lao Khao was rice wine.....not whiskey

:o

gb ... Rice wine is called Sato, Lao Kao is the distilled form, and very powerful ... I think :D

In western countries most cases of blindness are due to diabetes or being poked in the eye

with a sharp stick. Here in Thailand the culprit is normally bad Lao Kao. :D

Naka.

Edited by naka

He stumbled out of his apartment and began to act in a threatening manner towards other residents and children in the area.

So much for maintaining a low-profile and staying "beneath the radar".... :o:D

Only thing he failed to do was erect a large flashing neon sign over his house:

"I'M ON OVERSTAY.... I'M ON OVERSTAY"

I have tried Lao Kao a number of times. If I were a hard core alcoholic and that was all that was available, I'd give up drinking. That has to be the nastiest most vile brew ever made.

Lao Khao does indeed translate to "White Whiskey/spirit" but it is made from rice. Lao deng "red whiskey" is actually rum and made from sugar caine.

Try mixing the Lao Khao with Suea sip et dtua (11 tigers) or Gowlian (SP) and you get "Yaa dong" it turns purple, and gives it a bit of taste alledgedly also keeps you healthy strong and virile :D

Lao Khao is usually drunk straight with a glass of cold water to go with it.

Beer Chang with Lao Khoa chasers will give you the worst hangover it is possible to get .

Lao Khao is not "Very cheap" is just cheap, not that much cheaper than some of the brands of Lao Deng like "mungorn tong" (golden dragon). Some really cheap Lao Khoa is avalible localy distilled but you buy it in plastic bags.

They also do make a rice wine which is pretty strong, not had it ofter and cant remember what its called though

As for the guy deported I dont really care :o

RC

Edited by RamdomChances

The tax-paid Lao Kao you can buy in shops is diluted and tastes vile.

The real stuff from backyard distilleries varies in taste.

I 'mature' it in Bamboo casks with a few raisins for 2-3 weeks to improve the flavour.

He stumbled out of his apartment and began to act in a threatening manner towards other residents and children in the area.

So much for maintaining a low-profile and staying "beneath the radar".... :o:D

Only thing he failed to do was erect a large flashing neon sign over his house:

"I'M ON OVERSTAY.... I'M ON OVERSTAY"

Nah he also forgot to pay the guy in the van with the speakers, to travel round the local area shouting it out as well :D

I tried it once when I got married,sitting there with a room full of Thai's.My wife's father gave me a glass of it,the smell told me this was not going to be nice.I knocked it back and gave a polite smile,but I realy wanted to be sick.I can run my car on that :o

• 5 weeks later...

The Loa Khao i know is white milky rice wine normally brewed in a clay pot buried in the ground. See sip (40) Degree is the vile clear whiskey in the brown bottles or sold in portions in most villages.

Interesting parallel here : Where I used to live Lao Khao was 5B a glass.

Foul stuff - tried it once and near threw up.

We had a German stayed nearby, he was a mere 3 years over on his visa.

He regularly got stuck into the stuff first thing in the morning.

Does it induce hallucinations?. This guy used to see things.

One day he disppeared. Last heard of back in Germany. :o