Bangkok Administration's Medical Team Reports Alarming Level Of T B Infection On City Streets

webfact

BMA’s medical team reports alarming level of TB infection on city streets

BANGKOK, 8 May 2013 (NNT) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has sent out its medical team to Sanam Luang to check on homeless people and merchants, whose health conditions were found to be worrisome.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Pol. Gen. Assawin Kwanmuang and the BMA’s Health Department Director Dr. Wantanee Wattana along with city officials, on Tuesday, visited Sanam Luang to offer health check and consultation services to the homeless and the merchants in the area.

Dr. Wantanee said the BMA’s medical team has performed initial health screening tests to check if anyone is suffering such illnesses as STDs, AIDS, diabetes, and high-blood pressure.

Out of 19 people who received the tests, two were found to be infected with tuberculosis. Dr. Wantanee stated that the number of TB patients found was considered higher than it should be and officials are rushing to treat them in order to effectively prevent the spread of the disease.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-08 footer_n.gif

Tested 19, found 2 and the patients are the homeless variety and the officials 'rushed' to address the problem? I presume they used the 'skin test method' on site. TB if not treated usually claims 50% of its victims, but as TB is usually found in this sort of environment, I wonder how much effort will go into solving the issue as it is an infectious disease?

I have commented previously on the MoH's infectious disease efforts. The issue is taken seriously and the MoH is trying. Unfortunately, TB in urban areas is associated with poverty and living conditions. There are a large number of foreigners entering Thailand that have reintroduced the illness. Unfortunately, if some vested interests insist on bringing in tens of thousands of workers from Burma every quarter because they can pay them less, or because there is a shortage of labour, this is the cost Thailand will incur.

• Like 1

TB sucks. It is however treatable but the antibiotics have rough side effects..A member of my Thai family had it and the meds caused him endless problems like gastro vomiting and mood swings until we added yoghurt to his diet to replace to the bacteria in his gut and stopped him taking the iron tablets prescribed by the doctor...which are notorious for affecting moods...the doctors are good but they only go by the textbook and cant think outside the box that defines what they learnt at med school which is all pharmaceutical based treatments. They fail to address basic issues of diet ( like replacing good bacteria killed off by the antibiotics by eating yoghurt or probiotics) or alkalising the body with apple cider vinegar and baking soda..all very effective methods without bad side effects. We also got him on a well targeted protocol of vitamins and minerals to build up his immune system. And added some things to his diet while eliminating others.After a month he went from looking like he was on his deathbed to looking and feeling better than he has for years. TB is not caused by pollution..if it was there'd be outbreaks in polluted cities everywhere. It's a crappy infection that's easily passed on and those who have it need to be kept in a safe isolated space and well treated with drugs and good diet ( no mama noodles !) and certain vitamin supplements.

• Like 2

For a start, what about a mandatory test for AIDS, STDs, TB, Hepatitis B? ALL workers and food vendors should be screened.

"ALL workers and food vendors should be screened."

SHOULD being the operative word

Will not happen in our lifetimes, my friend.

• Like 1

For a start, what about a mandatory test for AIDS, STDs, TB, Hepatitis B? ALL workers and food vendors should be screened.

"ALL workers and food vendors should be screened."

SHOULD being the operative word

Will not happen in our lifetimes, my friend.

You are right my friend, it would not happen, not for the street food vendors at least. In no time, small businesses will be wiped out by the big corporations. Gone.