Just Back From My Second Visit To Thailand

Rik325i

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They "trick" you into giving them your labor. But you enjoyed the work and learnt some things from the old man, so it doesn't matter.

What else? She breaks your heart—well, in love there are no guarantees. That's why it's called "falling in love" and sometimes you get hurt.

But whats the bets he paid for all the material as well ?... rolleyes.gif

Sad to say in Thailand, the least of your worries is a broken heart.....some times it other bits of you that get broken on a permanent basis that would worry me..whistling.gif

I don't know if he paid for the materials, because he doesn't say. If he did, it's not much for three weeks of hospitality and an interesting village/community experience.

You're right that there are risks. We all take reasonable risks; without risks, there are no adventures in life.

T

• Like 2

Hi Rik325i (BMW fan?)

That's some nice work you've done there and your description of the process reminds me of a DH Lawrence poem "We are Transmitters"

Don't let the naysayers get you down. What's the worst that can happen? They "trick" you into giving them your labor. But you enjoyed the work and learnt some things from the old man, so it doesn't matter.

What else? She breaks your heart—well, in love there are no guarantees. That's why it's called "falling in love" and sometimes you get hurt.

A good marriage is a lot of work. A good cross-cultural marriage is even more work, but you seem to be doing ok at this juncture. Don't allow too much doubts into the relationship and go with the flow.

As long as you don't burn all your bridges back home right away, you'll be fine.

Cheers.

T

hi Thakkar, thanks for the sound advice, yes im a bmw fan, i modified mine a few years ago http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3002876/1990-bmw-3-series/

im not some young blue eyed dreamer any more, after one failed marraige to a foreign woman, not so brief stays in a couple of other countries and many bad experiences im not about to fall headlong into putting all my eggs in the thailand basket as many of the other posters seem to assume

im just starting to branch out with building some furniture in scotland to sell as well as working fitting kitchens and fully intend to keep working here, ideally i would like to reach a stage where i can split the year working to contracts between the 2 countries and enjoy the best seasons of both and obviously try to keep a home base here for the eventuality that things do go bad over there whistling.gif

• Like 1

Has her Dad got a website ric?

BTW, Thai musics great. Adds to the whole Thainess thing.

no, her dad doesnt have a website, he has many contacts through his years running a house building company he only builds furniture when hes asked to do it more as a hobby than trying to seriously try to make a business out of it

Wow, doesn't sound like much of a holiday to me, but as long as you enjoyed it!

its not about holiday, its about getting to know their way of life and integrating myself into it, hopefully enriching all our lives as i do so, im no stranger to hard work, ive done it all my life, i have no delusions about ever becoming rich, all i want is a simple life within a family where i feel respected and loved and can live comfortably with a woman that i cherish

ps do you ever get used to thai music ????

Nope, never!

its not about holiday, its about getting to know their way of life and integrating myself into it, hopefully enriching all our lives as i do so, im no stranger to hard work, ive done it all my life, i have no delusions about ever becoming rich, all i want is a simple life within a family where i feel respected and loved and can live comfortably with a woman that i cherish

Nope, never!

More likely to be Morlam or Kantrum where the OP stayed............................... and definitely NEVER!

Nope, never!

More likely to be Morlam or Kantrum where the OP stayed............................... and definitely NEVER!

the place i stayed was Meaung Lopburi to be fairly specific, why, does it make that much difference ??

You've had some sound advice from some smart and experienced folks so while I could claim enough time in country and experience here to expound as well, I doubt I could improve on it much, if at all.

So I will confine my comment to two things:

You seem like a good guy with a good attitude and contrary to what many will tell you, that doesn't necessarily make you a mug and as long as you don't let yourself be one, being a good guy can really have many rewards here, small and very large (not that is why you are being a good guy, because good guys do it because they are good guys!) - it did for me. BIG time.

And the other thing: I wish your GF was my neighbor - I like the sound of her and her family and more importantly I'd be after you to do some of that fine work floor me...

• Like 2

They "trick" you into giving them your labor. But you enjoyed the work and learnt some things from the old man, so it doesn't matter.

Sad to say in Thailand, the least of your worries is a broken heart.....some times it other bits of you that get broken on a permanent basis that would worry me..whistling.gif

I seriously hope your not a frequent betting person friend because you lost that one, i never paid a baht for materials, i just built it for her and enjoyed the accommodation, food, a little sightseeing in isaan and generally gracious company as well as use of tools and car while i was there and also appreciate the offer to come back and stay without monetary cost (apart from flights and train fares to get there) whenever i like

Dont worry there are some bitter members trolling about.. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Anyhow, she decided to go with painted MDF for the majority of the construction as the material is cheap and easy to work with

Great story BTW ... I wish you much happiness ... biggrin.png ... sharing something new with the Thai Culture and Family can be a rewarding experience ... keep your eyes open though ... w00t.gif

May I ask why you went with an MDF in what would typically be a wet work place?

Plus using timber in a country where the termites outnumber the mosquitoes.

Did you pay for the materials?

Cheers

Edited by David48

Anyhow, she decided to go with painted MDF for the majority of the construction as the material is cheap and easy to work with

Great story BTW ... I wish you much happiness ... biggrin.png ... sharing something new with the Thai Culture and Family can be a rewarding experience ... keep your eyes open though ... w00t.gif

May I ask why you went with an MDF in what would typically be a wet work place?

Plus using timber in a country where the termites outnumber the mosquitoes.

Did you pay for the materials?

Cheers

the gf decided to go with mdf as she was on a tight budget and she could get the required size of bar/shelves that she wanted within the budget, it was all painted with acrylic paint after initial construction and silicone sealed after fitting, the timber worktops and shelves were all given 3 coats of varnish both sides before fitting on her fathers recommendation.

i didnt pay for materials and quite frankly was myself unsure as to how the mdf would hold up under the weather conditions they have there although the coffee bar is built inside the house

violin.gif

No!.. but i'm hearing Harps and Violins right now! violin.gif

Edited by MAJIC

violin.gif

No!.. but i'm hearing Harps and Violins right now! violin.gif

hey, no risk no fun, if i dont try it ill never know what could have been and ive already got enough "what ifs" to look back on

Hi Rik325i (BMW fan?)

That's some nice work you've done there and your description of the process reminds me of a DH Lawrence poem "We are Transmitters"

Don't let the naysayers get you down. What's the worst that can happen? They "trick" you into giving them your labor. But you enjoyed the work and learnt some things from the old man, so it doesn't matter.

A good marriage is a lot of work. A good cross-cultural marriage is even more work, but you seem to be doing ok at this juncture. Don't allow too much doubts into the relationship and go with the flow.

As long as you don't burn all your bridges back home right away, you'll be fine.

Cheers.

T

This is one of the better replies I've read on TV about dealing with relationships. Nothing is ever certain no matter how much you plan. There will always be problems at some stage. It is how you deal with them that counts.Others have said that you should never put all your eggs in one basket. That is good advice everywhere. Anyone who gambles everything they own on the turn of a card deserves everthing that might happen. It just depends on whether you can accept what happens without complaining. Big risks sometimes get big rewards, but more often it ends up in huge problems.

I seriously hope your not a frequent betting person friend because you lost that one, i never paid a baht for materials, i just built it for her and enjoyed the accommodation, food, a little sightseeing in isaan and generally gracious company as well as use of tools and car while i was there and also appreciate the offer to come back and stay without monetary cost (apart from flights and train fares to get there) whenever i like

yes rik your on your way to the funny farm,why dont you get intouch with me before your next visit i need some new doors and being in the business you can do them cheap but dont tell the family they are for farang and also i love my coffee,as i live in isaan you got wheels and tools,they will do a packed lunch geez rik your not an angel are you they are few and far between in lol.this story will keep me going for a day or two its such a boreing life here.meatboy.

Hi Rik325i (BMW fan?)

Cheers.

T

hi Thakkar, thanks for the sound advice, yes im a bmw fan, i modified mine a few years ago    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3002876/1990-bmw-3-series/

im not some young blue eyed dreamer any more, after one failed marraige to a foreign woman, not so brief stays in a couple of other countries and many bad experiences im not about to fall headlong into putting all my eggs in the thailand basket as many of the other posters seem to assume

im just starting to branch out with building some furniture in scotland to sell as well as working fitting kitchens and fully intend to keep working here, ideally i would like to reach a stage where i can split the year working to contracts between the 2 countries and enjoy the best seasons of both and obviously try to keep a home base here for the eventuality that things do go bad over there 

Scotchland has a "best" season!!

Good story, thanks for sharing, you had a good time with what sounds like a good girl and family - lots of us have found that combination so don't mind the naysayers.

If I had known of and read TV 14 years ago I probably wouldn't have taken the chance on a 3 month holiday in Thailand and missed out on all that I hold dear today.

Sent from life with my Chinese HiSo please excuse errors in type or judgement :-P

• Like 1

First of all this should be a positive thread, you didn't throw money at her, you used your skills and the outcome looks rather good compaired to some work I have seen. They will respect you more for that, than the usual Western man that thinks buying a house gains him respect.

As for getting to know the family, it will take a lot longer, I lived on a farm in Issan for 5 years with MIL, FIL, GF sisters kids and other sister next door. I help build up the farm by inputting some money but once up and running we all saw a return and we all worked our backsides off to make money.

I worked the farm out in the sticks, the police knew I was working but their attitude was I was not your average lazy 10am Chang swilling Westerner and they really do leave you alone up in Issan.

I gave the family an oportunity to make money for themselves and they took it, the relationship fizzled but I made money, they made money and we still keep in touch with no hard feelings.

Your new GF sounds like she wants to make her own money, not just borrow your credit card, if she starts asking for big money then worry but now just enjoy it and go with the flow.

• Like 2