I Never Really Appreciated Dogs Until ...

If Moo's gone off his food, and become lethargic, it sounds as if it may be erlichiosis... which my dogs caught from tick bites last year. He needs a blood test to tell.

A month on antibiotics, and pills to strengthen the liver and the blood did the trick, and they're fine now.

But we too have a plague of ticks at the moment. There are two threads open on what to do; you pays your money and you takes your choice.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

My lady is there in under a week so can assess the situation first hand.

I never thought I'd get attached to the 'ole mutt ... but I have.

When his time comes ... I'll tip my hat and light the fire ... but, with a bit of luck I don't think that time is now.

Oh, thanks for mentioning those threads ... I have read and commented in them.

• Like 1

Also Dave it's very hot at the moment, my lad who is around 8 years old is alternating between the shade of his favourite tree and my air-con, and not much else.

Fingers crossed for Moo Moo anyway, just in case.

• Like 2

Hope Ol' Yellow pulls through for you David.

My ambition in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

"My Ambition in Life is To Be As Good a Person as My Dog Thinks I am" . . . . . . . Geez; I've never heard this one before: did you just make that up ? ? It is a "classic" the moment I read this: absolutely brilliant ! ! ! !

My favorite until I saw yours was: "The More People I meet; The More I Appreciate My Dog !"

- and to David: could it be your dog has attracted "Heart-Worm" ? ? ? If so; indeed have a blood-test done, then start the treatment (not cheap !) and Moo-Moo will have a 50/50 chance of pulling through.

Good Luck

I've been quoting that line for decades. Not sure of its origins.

Winston Churchill never minced his words. What follows is a very blunt, but honest quote of his.

“I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.”

Perfect.

Since I have your eyes ... any thoughts on his breed.

Common Soi Dog just seems inappropriate.

I've raised Golden Retreivers in the US and also here up until a few years ago. My Avatar is one that just passed away in June. From the first thumbnail he looks like part Golden. The shape and size of his head and his coat are very close. I tried to enlarge it but it comes out blue for some reason. The ticks are really a problem and some of the stuff on the market just doesn't work. Another consideration is to have him checked for heart worm before using any injected vaccine for tick eradication. The dosages required to kill the ticks could be lethal as they will also kill the heart worms and could cause lethal blood clots. The treatment for heart worm uses these high dosages to kill the parasites but should only be performed under the supervision of a knowledgeable vet.

Good luck! And, My ten dogs definitely think that I am a better person than I really am and when I raised pigs they definitely treated me as an equal!

• Like 1

Hope Ol' Yellow pulls through for you David.

My ambition in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

"My Ambition in Life is To Be As Good a Person as My Dog Thinks I am" . . . . . . . Geez; I've never heard this one before: did you just make that up ? ? It is a "classic" the moment I read this: absolutely brilliant ! ! ! !

My favorite until I saw yours was: "The More People I meet; The More I Appreciate My Dog !"

- and to David: could it be your dog has attracted "Heart-Worm" ? ? ? If so; indeed have a blood-test done, then start the treatment (not cheap !) and Moo-Moo will have a 50/50 chance of pulling through.

Good Luck

I've been quoting that line for decades. Not sure of its origins.

Winston Churchill never minced his words. What follows is a very blunt, but honest quote of his.

“I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.”

Perfect.

For a long time that quote was my sig. lol

We had a border collie lab x, Mum used to work evenings in a bread shop, and I would walk down and walk her home with the dog. She loved my mum, and woe betide anyone who threatened her. One evening just has mum was getting ready to cash up, 3 youths walked in. Leather jackets and creepy looking. The dog went nuts. From the tip of her nose to tail, her hair was up. They then looked for a reason to enter the shop, and the shop sold cigs, so the splashed out on a 10 pack. Both mum and I felt the cigs was not their reason to call in at 1 minute before closing.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments above guys ... I've run out of likes for the moment ... so ... wai.gif

The bad news is ... post-104736-0-84238400-1368241632_thumb.

Quite emaciated after eating little or nothing for some time.

The better news is that the Farm Niece and her gf spent some time removing the number of ticks recently and he has eaten again.

Don't know what to do from Thursday onwards when the gf returns to the Farm as it's not an option to take him to the Vet. Only one car at the Farm and the Farm Father won't take him ... we'll work around that ... just don't know yet how to do.

Nice to read your stories re the dogs in your life ... don't stop them please ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

my thoughts are with you david and my hearts with moo-moo,my wf.calls me moo and the dog as well.i owned greyhounds for 20yrs

1965-85 always looked after them well because you only get out of them what you put in,they would run their hearts out for me but i could not give them the love and attention they deserved.now at 68 i realize this and this is why i love our dog to bits and i am getting soft in my old age.there is not a day goes past without him telling us he understands everything we say and do for him,maybe its because he remembers what we done for him when he came to us,so david i am sure he will be there when you get back tail wagging and lots of kisses.

I'm currently in training, our pup is teaching me to throw a ball. The look on her face when she comes running back, and realises she dropped the ball running up the steps. 555

• Like 1

I have a Thai Bangkeaw. Inherited him from my wifes Uncle after he was killed.

No one could get near the dog for 3 days at the wake, he is a viscous little bugger.

When I got there, I spent an hour or so doing exactly what a dog pyshcologist (Nienk) told me to.

Couldn't believe the response.. Literally eating out of my hand, as opposed to trying to rip it off, and has been my best mate ever since.

I do feel bad when I have to go away to work, he seems to know a day before I leave. Fortunately, he really likes my wife and her Mum too. Everyone else he just wants to kill :)

He is my little liability and I love him....

Hope Moo gets better soon !

• Like 1

I have a Thai Bangkeaw. Inherited him from my wifes Uncle after he was killed.

No one could get near the dog for 3 days at the wake, he is a viscous little bugger.

When I got there, I spent an hour or so doing exactly what a dog pyshcologist (Nienk) told me to.

Couldn't believe the response.. Literally eating out of my hand, as opposed to trying to rip it off, and has been my best mate ever since.

I do feel bad when I have to go away to work, he seems to know a day before I leave. Fortunately, he really likes my wife and her Mum too. Everyone else he just wants to kill smile.png

He is my little liability and I love him....

Hope Moo gets better soon !

Its the suitcase. Routines change and the suitcase comes out. Pets hate suitcases.

Watchit, i'm getting all sad and smiley at the great photos.

Hope moo moo feels better.

Had 2 reports from the Farm over the week-end and the Farm kids have done their best to remove what ticks they can see.

Apparently, he is getting a little better and has started to eat a little bit again ... so that's a positive.

Thanks to all for the well wishes ... wai.gif

Nope, not the suitcase.. I don't have one smile.png

He just knows the day before, obviously picks up vibes from us..

BTW, we don't seem to have a tick problem since I got some Guinea fowl !! They hoover up every little creepy crawly...

yes they do know,ours knows hrs.before we go out,but we could never go more than a few hrs.and leave him,committed to shareing our lives with him day and night.

Well, MissFarmGirl has returned to the Farm and supervised the tick removal.

The girls had done it 7 days ago ... and again just recently.

post-104736-0-25823300-1368940126_thumb.

Moo is indeed getting better.

The coat is not back yet and is walking not running.

But it's all good now and hopefully just old age to look forward to now.

post-104736-0-86946900-1368940134_thumb.

Niece and her gf picking off the ticks

post-104736-0-10107900-1368940116_thumb.

The bounty ... remember, this was the 2nd round.

We appreciate your warm well wishes and it just does go to prove that these Farm Dogs are indeed tough!

David48 and MissFarmGirl ... wai.gif

• Like 1

Well, MissFarmGirl has returned to the Farm and supervised the tick removal.

The girls had done it 7 days ago ... and again just recently.

attachicon.gifDSCF9962 (800x600).jpg

Moo is indeed getting better.

The coat is not back yet and is walking not running.

But it's all good now and hopefully just old age to look forward to now.

attachicon.gifDSCF9965 (800x600).jpg

Niece and her gf picking off the ticks

attachicon.gifDSCF9966 (800x600).jpg

The bounty ... remember, this was the 2nd round.

We appreciate your warm well wishes and it just does go to prove that these Farm Dogs are indeed tough!

David48 and MissFarmGirl ... wai.gif

some good news for a change.

• Like 1

some good news for a change.

better news would be to prevent the ticks getting on the dog.

Agreed Naam ... but these are Farm dogs and get up to all kinds of mischief as a result.

I'm keenly reading the other thread about what prevents ticks being attracted to the dog.