Tsa Locks In Cm?

Microwave

I'm making an unexpected trip to the U.S. in 3 weeks. I haven't been to the U.S. for quite some time and I understand that I need special locks that are acceptable to the U.S. Transport Safety Authority (TSA) to use for locking my checked baggage.

I've taken a look at the CM airport and none of these TSA locks are available there. No luck doing a google search of TSA locks in Chiang Mai either. Does anyone know where I might find a shop selling these TSA locks in Chiang Mai?

Thanks!

You do not need the locks. You can check your bags unlocked or you can lock them and take a chance, the chance being that the TSA people will want to open your bag, if they do they will possibly break your lock which may or may not be a big deal. I have had locked bags go in and out of the USA numerous times recently with no problem (mine have combination locks so even if I check them unlocked, a bump can spin the dial and lock them).

It is going to be a sniffer or an X-ray that tells them they want to open a bag and normal stuff will not trigger it.

The TSA and TSA locks are a joke. You do not need to have TSA locks or any locks for that matter on your luggage.

I stopped using a TSA lock many years ago.

Just google TSA locks, you can see for yourself.

Not finding the expenditure of an extra hour too taxing, we usually get to an airport earlier than required, and request that our bags get 'hand inspected' in front of us. When completed and marked as 'inspected,' we secure the bags with 'almost' ordinary cable ties. The 'almost' part is that they are blue colored rather than usual black or white. When we pack the bags we include a packing list in a sealed envelope of any valuables inside. On arrival, if we see a bag without the cable tie intact, we can immediately bring it to the attention of the authorities, let them open the bag, check the contents against the packing list, and have a valid insurance claim made on the spot. (Obviously, we don't bother with this if the case only contains clothing.)

We will NOT use cases that utilize 'self-repairing' zippers, as they are

While it's a lot easier just NOT to bring valuables when traveling, or bring them into the cabin as carry-on, that often isn't possible, especially if needing larger specialized professional equipment at your destination.

Theft is always going to be a problem at airports. When I was regularly flying into the U.S. many of my colleagues had their suitcases broken open and inside was a note telling them that it was their fault for locking it in the first place. I never felt comfortable travelling with an unlocked case so having a TSA lock was the best of a bad job and lets face it, it doesn't take much to break open a case anyway. I have always used an extra strap though and in 40 years I have never had a case burst open or fortunately, never pilfered from or broken open. I don't know if they still do but at one time U.K. customs also recommended using TSA locks.

Yes, TSA locks are a joke. The way they work is that the millions and millions of TSA locks that have been sold have a single master key that can be used by TSA to open the bag for inspection. But don't worry, TSA has great security. Even though thousands of those master keys have been issued to TSA agents, their security is so tight that not a single key has ever fallen into the wrongs hands for duplication by thieves. Yeah, right.

Be careful what you pack anyway. In the past, if TSA inspected a bag and confiscated something, they put in a note saying they had inspected and removed something and gave the reason. Now they just take stuff and leave a note that says, "This bag has been inspected for your protection." If they don't know what something is, they automatically take it. If you have a camera or a book in their, no problem. But I had a bunch of those wonderful Mosquito Dunks in my bag once and they just took them. They look like compressed sawdust in the shape of a donut about 2-1/2" in diameter. I left the literature attached so they could see what the were and that, according to the FDA, they were harmless. But they didn't even look; they just took them. I could go on and on with other anecdotes (my brand new 1 liter aluminum fuel can still in the original package with the lid not on, removed because it is "associated with" hydrocarbons -- that was back when they still gave a reason). That, and all the indignities to which TSA forces you to submit is one of the reasons I simply don't go to the US anymore.

• Like 2

TSA locks are a joke and TSA employees are also. They would be incapable or unwilling to comprehend

any documentation you might include with strange looking items. TSA is actually a low paying govt. job, but has good benefits for people who otherwise would be in fast food or other minimum wage employment. The only requirement is an absolutely spotless 10 year background check.

Just graduated High School? Fine! Immigrated from a third world country 3 years ago where we cannot really check your background anyway?

Here's your waiver!

I have a chart case I occasionally have to check with two three digit combo locks I secure, not for theft protection,

but just to keep the case closed in transit. I once taped a HUGE note with instructions, "TSA please do not break locks Combination XXX"

They broke the locks anyway. Cost of repair of course is my responsibility. Now I just tape the bag closed.

Nothing will keep a determined crook out of a "locked" bag.

The best thing to is the plastic wrap stuff.

Edited by arunsakda

Plain plastic wire ties work for me. Assuming a thief will get in one way or the other, all I care about is keeping the zippers from opening by accident.

And maybe such a simple system tells everyone I have nothing I really value in there?

Thank you once again to all for information on where to buy TSA locks as well as the varied opinions on TSA locks. Quite a variety of opinions...

I went to Robinson's this AM and purchased 2 TSA locks. These locks are located on the top floor of Robinson's in the DIY section, right next to their suitcases. I reckon these locks are imported directly from the U.S. (or China where they're made) as the packaging on the blister pack is only in English. The packaging does say TSA lock and the red & white diamond is clearly visibly on the lock. Delsey is the only brand available and both the key locks (with 2 keys per lock) and the combination locks were available. The cost per lock is Baht 400.

Thank you to everyone for their replies to my query!