Import Bicycle

gammelnok

Good morning everybody to hopefully yet another wonderful day,

Where i come from it is more or less considered normal to use the bicycle for as well daily transport as exercise. Here, in the north part of Thailand, i like to catch up this habit of exercising on the bike.

I have now been around to several shops, looking for a decent bike, suitable for my needs. However it seems quite difficult to find something i like. Many bikes, but mostly crap.

My question is now, what is to be expected custom wise if ordering a bike from abroad? Has anybody tried this?

Thank you and enjoy the day.

Rasmus

It's a lot easier to bring one with you on your next trip. Then it's basically free to bring, and no customs charges.

Do you mean bring your bicycle to the airport and ask them to import together with your trip?

I mean box it up flat (get an old cardboard bike box from a bicycle shop, take pedals off, deflate tires) and just check it in just like you would a suitcase or a golf bag. Drop it at the oversized luggage point. Customs didn't even want to take a look.

Instructions are likely on the website of the airline you fly with.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I mean box it up flat (get an old cardboard bike box from a bicycle shop, take pedals off, deflate tires) and just check it in just like you would a suitcase or a golf bag. Drop it at the oversized luggage point. Customs didn't even want to take a look.

Winnie I am getting the feeling the OP is looking for a new bike which of course would come all ready boxed.

Would you suggest taking it out of the box and putting it back in in such a way so it would not look like it had just come out of the factory. All so I don't Know where the OP is coming from but if he was to be coming in at Bangkok would he be better of to go through customs there or here in Chiang Mai?

I have always come through here and never had a problem but I have heard of other people having a problem here.

I have brought in several new and used bikes as checked baggage to DM and Swampy over the years.

I may have had to put the box through the xray. What is this? "Jakkkrayan". Never a problem.

On the other hand the few times I FEDEX'd parts I was charged 30 percent or so duty.

Edited by arunsakda

Winnie I am getting the feeling the OP is looking for a new bike which of course would come all ready boxed.

Would you suggest taking it out of the box and putting it back in in such a way so it would not look like it had just come out of the factory. All so I don't Know where the OP is coming from but if he was to be coming in at Bangkok would he be better of to go through customs there or here in Chiang Mai?

I have always come through here and never had a problem but I have heard of other people having a problem here.

Yeah, if you have anything with you that's even a little out of the ordinary then you avoid customs in Chiang Mai.

I have brought in several new and used bikes as checked baggage to DM and Swampy over the years.

I may have had to put the box through the xray. What is this? "Jakkkrayan". Never a problem.

On the other hand the few times I FEDEX'd parts I was charged 30 percent or so duty.

The last time we had some thing Fed X it went through customs and it took two weeks to get the package once it had landed in Thailand. There was the 5 day holiday period. So that would make it about an extra 3 days.

Strongly advise against Fed X unless you don't like the person you are sending it to.

I used Fed-Ex to ship a used 300,000 bht bike from the USA and was not charged any tax. This was to Hua Hin and I doubt they had any idea of the value though. I also shipped a lot of stuff here by Fed-Ex and the crooked agent in Ban Tawan refused to deliver unless I payed him more money. I agreed and after the guys unloaded at my house I paid the original price told them that's all they are getting. It helped that I had 10 guys hanging around at my house when they came (felt it was nec. since I went to the office and they tried to assault me for questioning the charge). To be fair the delivery guys were nice but just stuck in-between and there was no problem at my place but we aware of these agent. I used UPS on the moat and they have been very professional after going to Fed-Ex also on the moat and they don't even have Fed-Ex forms but some home made ones.

I agree lots of great bikes in Chiang Mai. They can order the right size or model from bangkok if its not in the store. BTW some airlines will carry a boxed bike free of charge. Some don't and may charge 300 euros or worse. You might want want to check before you buy your next ticket.

I live in Chaiyaphum, and I have been bicycling more or less daily during my 5 years here in Thailand. It was a habit since my years back home in Falangcountry.

I have bought just for 2 months ago my second bike. The first one lasted for 5 years and was great. Not luxery, but great. The second one also having Shimano-gears is about the same as the first one. As I said not luxery but great in my eyes. They cost 6.500 baht, and for 5 years of bycycling devided by 6.500 baht and tenth of thousands of kilometers spent on that bike, that was quite fair in my eyes.

However we also have one another shop here marketing and selling more PRO-bicycles and they charge between 10.000 - 30.000 baht for one. So with this being said. Thailand can support you with bicycle-alternatives as well. Have noted during my time here that it is not so much the frame of the bycycle as it is all about the tyres....

I thank God that I am using a mountainbike with mountainbike-tyres, and not this small racertyres that cant in any with keep up with all the glassware on the roads, and all the sharp holes that we run into every now and than on a daily basis.

Hope this was to som help at least.

Glegolo

An acquaintance runs cycling tours in various parts of the world. Instead of using a flat pack, he pulls his bike apart and carries it in an oversize suitcase which he checks in as normal baggage. When he reaches his destination he assembles the bike in his hotel room or wherever his accommodation is for the night. Works just fine, by his account.

Fab'd it up myself while I was at my shop in Los Angeles, then boxed it up put it on the plane and brought it to my home in CM.

Sold it to some Thai dude in Mae Hia about a month ago.

The rake of the forks made it a bit of a handfull at speed after a few beers! Sold it before I crashed it.