Lingo Exchange

"mun khiaow" is a hard one to translate - no language I know, except for Thai, has an exact equivalent.

It is used about something which you want to sink your teeth into - women typically say it jokingly about the chubby cheeks of a baby - but a nice firm behind on a person of the opposite sex (or the same i suppose) could produce the same reaction... or something else which is "biteable" in the same way.

It is not offensive as such, and not meant to cause offence, it is rather a "playful" word.

As for swearing in general - learning the words is a good idea, but never use it yourself.

To understand why you shouldn't, think about the Thai teenagers going "you! you! ###### you! ###### you! farang!", thinking it is funny. They impress you, right?

You'll project the same image of yourself at best if you use these swearing words - ignorant and rude farang who doesn't grasp the implications of what he's saying. At worst, you'll get your head bashed in.

Just a friendly advice.

------------------------

To refer to yourself as 'guu' is not to refer to yourself in a derogatory manner - on the contrary, you place yourself very high by doing so, so high that it is an insult to the person you speak with, unless it's a very close friend.

Royalty would use this word in the past, when speaking to their servants. In that context, it was appropriate, and not rude, because of the obvious difference in status. A few hundred years before that, it was used fairly neutrally by most people.

The 'guu' - 'meung' (I - you) pair is today mainly used among close male buddies, and to a lesser extent by girls who don't care what impression they make on outsiders - generally 'streetwise' women from a countryside or slum background.

Farang are not expected to use these words. Thai people are sensitive about their language - it's a "face" thing, and if you abuse it, it won't be appreciated.

Thanks for that input on “mun khiaow” Meadish it was said in that sort of playful context. I am quite please because if someone said that with no thought that you may understand they most likely mean it!

As a teacher I was always cross when my students said “Ari wa!” to each other when I asked them a question. Is the use of the word “wa” as offensive as say – “What the <deleted> did he say?” or is it more like “What the heck did he say?”

'wa' is just something like suffix.. but no particular meaning

same as 'na' 'ja' 'ka' 'krap' 'woy'

'wa' it is basically used among friends.. to express how close they are.

"Arai wa?" = What uh?

Thai words are always flexible.. the exact meaning can be clued by the situation and during the whole conversation that you are jumping in.

GFB.

The situation was that I, the teacher, was asking the student a question. They turn to their friend and said “Ari Wa!” They should have said to me “Ari na Krap.” No matter how you look at it I think that it was very disrespectful. From students who are supposed to be respectful of teachers!

Mig15:-

Was it in English class?

I think,

that student did not mean to pay unrespectful or go against you, as the teacher.

Rather, it sounded to him obviuosly embarrassing so he turned to ask his friends "Arai wa?"

to help him get the answer. (You could notice that he used the term 'wa')

How long have you been teaching so far?

Anyway,

"Arai wa" is used so often in the classroom.

So did I!!

For example,

if you were ABAC teacher, "Arai wa" is very common phase that you always hear

when asking the student a question.

Nothing offensive indeed

'embarrassing', instead.

GFB.

Girlfrombar,

Thanks for your input. I did get very uptight because I felt the students were not being respectful or indeed rude. I did not teach English for very long in the Thai school because I got a better offer. But also because I felt that only about 5 of the 45 students in the class had any interest in the subject. I was there because they needed to hear a native speaker speak English to help them with pronunciation. I worked with lots of young classes and they were fine. It was the Top (the best ?) class of 16 year olds that I had a problem with. It seemed cool not to understand anything. Many students would talk at the back so the others could not hear me.

I am not an English teacher by training but work with students who have learning problems. I have all the patience in the world for these students who can’t do much but try hard. But none for those who are bright but don’t try.

Mig15 - I fully understand your feeling. You should not take any of these things personally though.

'Arai wa' is indeed not the way to *directly* address a teacher. If you do, then you are being very disrespectful.

BUT, that the student was addressing his friend makes all the difference. Since they are on an equal level and know each other, the usage makes sense in the context. The student uses the expression - in a playful way - to his friend, indicating that he/she hasn't got a clue what you are saying. A more accurate translation in this case might be "What on earth is he saying to me?".

This most likely scored sniggers/laughs among the class - right? This is not sniggers directed at you, but as I read it rather supportive sniggers at the student who doesn't understand. My interpretation is - he is trying to save face and seeks support from his mates.

I have also been puzzled by similar experiences. But I have never had a Thai use "arai wa" in my face, with their gaze fixed at me. That, on the other hand, would be a blatant provocation.

About students talking at the back of the class, this is similar to what I have seen at Thai weddings. It is apparently (and I agree this is contrary to common sense as we know it in the West) not seen as disrespectful to carry on a conversation while someone is at the stage with a microphone holding a speech.

I have seen this type of behaviour at ALL the weddings I have been to. The first time, it really made me boil.

My friend was getting married to a Thai woman of reasonably high social standing - her father was a retired high ranking military officer, and naturally, the guests at the wedding were a mix of hi-so and middle class Thais.

My friend's best friend had travelled all the way to Thailand from Scandinavia only to come to his wedding, and he was giving a speech to the bride and groom. He entered the stage, grabbed the microphone and started speaking (in English). It was a truly brilliant speech, really warm and thoughtful, tongue in cheek, and not too long. He had obviously spent lots of time to prepare it.

Nobody was interested. The conversation in the room did not die down, even the slightest.

When he left the stage, sparse applause. That was it. Nobody except for the handful of farang in the room had tried to listen - at all.

This same pattern was repeated at the two subsequent weddings I went to - but in these cases the speakers were Thai - speaking in Thai. The wedding guests still did not listen.

I asked my girlfriend (Thai) about this. She looked at me as if what I said was a revelation.

She had *never* thought about it being rude. When I explained why I thought it was (disregarding a person's efforts and work, disrespecting the people who might be interested in listening), she agreed though... :o

I am not sure why Thais do this, but I have to accept the fact that it is probably not disrespectful by the Thais. Does anyone have a better explanation of this?

Perhaps you have some thoughts about it, Girlfrombar?

• 4 years later...
"mun khiaow" is a hard one to translate - no language I know, except for Thai, has an exact equivalent.

It is used about something which you want to sink your teeth into - women typically say it jokingly about the chubby cheeks of a baby - but a nice firm behind on a person of the opposite sex (or the same i suppose) could produce the same reaction... or something else which is "biteable" in the same way.

It is not offensive as such, and not meant to cause offence, it is rather a "playful" word.

I would suggest "good enough to eat' in English :o

As in "You look so beautiful you're good enough to eat" etc etc

I know this is a bad phrase, but what does:

"I Farang mai me smong pai gai gai guu"

mean?

RAZZ