Muang Thong Thani

ProfessorFart

I'm on the verge of taking up residence in Muang Thong Thani and haven't really had the time to explore the vicinity as yet.

On first impressions there seems to be little around here which suits me during the week but I like a night out every now and again to break the monotony.

Has anyone lived around here before or better still still live around here?

What are the highlights or the area as regards to boozers, restaurants etc?

Cheers

I've no idea Udon! Its the apartments just past Impact.

Do you mean those 20 or so High Rise Condominiums which line the road out in Muang Thong Thani? If so I would guess you’ll be pretty lonely – a lot of those buildings were abandoned half finished after the crash of 1997.

As for the general area, you are not far from Nichada Thani – the Farang “Ghetto” which grew up around International School Bangkok, there is a decent Sports Club there with a Pool etc. plus a good western Restaurant and Bar. There’s a big branch of Villa Supermarket for western food, even a (very!) small Starbucks if you miss that sort of thing.

Plenty of very good Thai restaurants along Chaeng Wattana Road, and on the riverside at Nonthaburi, and they are just completing a bridge over the Chao Phaya river at Pakkret.

A 9 Hole Golf Course at the Irrigation Department on Thiwanon Road (OK, it’s not particularly well maintained but it’s nearby) – which also has a very nice Thai / Western / Vietnamese restaurant.

Not sure about Bars etc. in the area though, but you’re very near the Expressway which will take you into Central Bangkok very quickly – or, in the opposite direction, to Bang Pa In and Ayuttaya and points North if you fancy a weekend away and spot of Thai Culture and History.

Patrick

Many thanks for that Patrick. Great reply.

I looked at some of the high rise places but they had a real feeling of abandonment and neglect. They are very well laid out but felt very unlived in.

Someone at work recommended these new places to me and they are a lot more pleasant.

I live far from MTT around 4-5 km

in MTT has plenty restuarants as

- Fisherman (chinese food)

- TERRAZZA

-Metro seafood

-food center (cheap)

-Kai Yang Nittaya (issarn food)

and ..etc

the bad (nightmare) .. it will be bloody traffic jam inside when it has exhibition @ Impact Arena

Supermarket -Departmentstore

- Big C

-Tesco

-Carfoure

-lemonfarm

-Foodland (@ the software deparmentsore(ex-laksi plaza)

-villa suppermarket (@ Nichada thani 'n The Grand canal)

Other

-sportcity

-major hollywood movie theatre

-new movie theatre(buiding btween BigC and lemon farm)

coffee shop

-au bon pain@ Tesco

-starbuck @ Nichada thani and the sport city

Booz place

- can find them around Prapa Canal, Ngam wong wan Rd

-The Breeze , (soi Chaenwatthna 22 , aussi owner with 2 pool tables)

etc ...

There is lots but more of a family thing. Everything is pretty spread out. Will be a bit nicer when the new mall is done then a theater close. The hospital past big "C' has been good. Bit high on pills.

Mentioned?

Easy Pezy

Country Club etc.

And as you said can take the van into town for 25 baht which takes 25 minutes and take a taxi home.

I'm on the verge of taking up residence in Muang Thong Thani and haven't really had the time to explore the vicinity as yet.

On first impressions there seems to be little around here which suits me during the week but I like a night out every now and again to break the monotony.

Has anyone lived around here before or better still still live around here?

What are the highlights or the area as regards to boozers, restaurants etc?

Cheers

Doc Fart,

i live part time in MTT, in the "popular" condo's (the ones with colored alphanumeric signs). there are one bedroom (not a 1 bd rm in the western sense; just a separtate sleeping area, separated from the living area by a drawn partition). studios are rather small, but average for Thai.

i'd have to say, though, that the condition of our building (at least) has deteriorated rather badly--elevator service has been cut in half, the paint in the hallways has been marred by scuff marks, hallways dark and kind of spooky, security guards becoming more lax.

there are food stalls in each of the buildings, as well as a large food court. seems like more and more little shops are opening up around the food court area.

in terms of transportation, there is a van that you can take to victory monument, where you can get on the sky train if you need to get to town. big c, makro, lotut are nearby. good hospital, as mentioned by another poster.

i see a couple of farang here and there, but it's mainly Thai. english is not spoken here, although one can get the Post and Nation.

don't know much about the surrounding area. didn't know there was a farang ghetto nearby.

all in all, i like living there. will be going back later this year.

MTT seems to be getting more run down these days, especially in the "1984" Soviet ear blocs. There's an international school nearby so a fair few Farangs around.

I used to live in one of the hi-rises, excellent value there, 2-3 bedrooms, good views for 8-10K per month.

-The Breeze , (soi Chaenwatthna 22 , aussi owner with 2 pool tables)

soi 26 I think it is

chaeng wattana toll highway allows easy access to the city. and as pointed out an aircond minivan costs 25 baht to victory monument , so its a cheap way to get to town. a taxi to town costs about 160 baht plus 50 baht in toll fees - not bad for 28 klms.

pak kret and koh kret are just up the end of chaeng wattana road - koh kret the island is worth a look.

I am in a townhouse in moo gotomor , which is between nichada and the main road ( nichada is very big and is expanding )